Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:24:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OctaEx - Hostile support and deceptive pricing  (Read 138 times)
Xenord (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 12:35:37 PM
Last edit: May 23, 2018, 05:12:19 AM by Xenord

I had an issue with my withdrawal. The OctaEx site said I'd get about $80 of BTC. I sent the transaction.... the blockchain said I'd get about $70 of BTC. WTF?

The OctaEx withdrawal page had stated a "0.15% processing fee"... what it did not say is "0.15% processing fee (0.001 BTC minimum)".

Just to be clear... I do not have a problem with a minimum 0.001 BTC processing fee... I have a problem with being told the processing fee is 0.15%, and then finding I've been charged a 10% processing fee.

So, I contacted OctaEx support on Telegram. They just kept repeating "if you do not check fees , thats not our problem" ... I stated that I would have checked fees, if the fee wasn't explicitly stated on the withdrawal page. This went back and forth a bit. I thought they might actually see why I had a valid complaint. I eventually pointed out that they were using deceptive pricing, and that didn't go down well. Oh yeah, I was also warned about "language" since they apparently regard using all caps to emphasize words as being "bad language". They were being fairly belligerent from the outset, so I wasn't surprised when they kicked me from the group and deleted all messages and screenshots I'd posted.

OctaEx Withdrawal Request - The withdrawal page used to look like this. I included some of my (very last and kickworthy?) messages are on the right, which I did to confirm it was a current screenshot. That random Nikhil guy was posting some mobile page screenshot, which is still in the channel and thereby confirms my posts have been deleted.

OctaEx Withdrawal Confirmed - This is what my withdrawal history still currently states, ie: I would receive 0.00997003 BTC. However, the transaction resulted in only 0.00898 BTC being the "get actually" value. In other words, instead of being charged 0.15%, I was charged around 10% in transaction fees. The blockchain also confirms OctaEx only paid around 13c for the transaction.

In the end, it seems they did actually believe it was a problem with their site. Within half an hour of being kicked from their Telegram channel, their withdrawal page had some nice large bold text added.

OctaEx are obviously the kind of operation who treat the customer as an idiot, contrary to all evidence of their mistake. They also have no problem with deceptively trying to correct their mistakes while denying all responsibility.

Anyway, lesson learned cheaply... I won't be using OctaEx again.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: