Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:05:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-11-15 Wired: Feds Reveal What They Really Think About Bitcoin  (Read 1163 times)
Arvicco (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 02:14:46 AM

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/11/bitcoin_feds/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
superduh

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 03:47:18 AM

seems positive

ok
qwerty555

Activity: 405
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 04:53:02 AM

Look in your own backyard FIRST!!!

The toughest comments came from the Department of Homeland Security. “The anonymity of cyberspace affords a unique opportunity for criminal organizations to launder huge sums of money undetected,” wrote DHS Acting Assistant Secretary for Legislative Affairs Brian de Vallance. “With the advent of virtual currencies and the ease with which financial transactions can be exploited by criminal organizations, DHS has recognized the need for an aggressive posture toward this evolving trend.

The anonymity of CASH/ DOLLARS used in illegal activities is probably 100 to 1000 or even 10,000 or 1MILLION times the value of any virtual used for the same purpose. Maybe they should focus on the BIG problem .

I do not see any action or AGGRESSIVE POSTURE to remove CASH.
markjamrobin

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 04:59:24 AM

The toughest comments came from the Department of Homeland Security. “The anonymity of cyberspace affords a unique opportunity for criminal organizations to launder huge sums of money undetected,” wrote DHS Acting Assistant Secretary for Legislative Affairs Brian de Vallance. “With the advent of virtual currencies and the ease with which financial transactions can be exploited by criminal organizations, DHS has recognized the need for an aggressive posture toward this evolving trend.

The anonymity of CASH/ DOLLARS used in illegal activities is probably 100 to 1000 or even 10,000 or 1MILLION times the value of any virtual used for the same purpose. Maybe they should focus on the BIG problem .

I do not see any action to remove CASH.

You are measuring anonymity in value? And many regulations block usage of lots of cash. Try and buy a Mercedes with a bag full of $100 bills...

theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 06:10:29 AM

You are measuring anonymity in value? And many regulations block usage of lots of cash. Try and buy a Mercedes with a bag full of $100 bills...

I bought a VW Beetle, new, from the dealership, in all cash. I was almost unbanked at the time due to an issue, although I actually have a fair amount of money, so I really had no choice. They were quite happy that I was paying as such, in fact, since I had no interest in their financing which can be costly from their perspective, and they've had some issues with cheques in the past. I even got a discount for it.

qwerty555

Activity: 405

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 08:00:35 AM
Last edit: November 16, 2013, 08:51:10 AM by qwerty555

I bought a VW Beetle, new, from the dealership, in all cash. I was almost unbanked at the time due to an issue, although I actually have a fair amount of money, so I really had no choice. They were quite happy that I was paying as such, in fact, since I had no interest in their financing which can be costly from their perspective, and they've had some issues with cheques in the past. I even got a discount for it.

i have also been able (sometimes required) to use large amounts of cash. There are quite a few things that (OSTENSIBLY) you cannot do with large cash amounts , the car example is probably bad. However the TRUTH in the real world is that there is usually a WAY to do it and MANY do. These examples give  a real life view which is not talked about in polite conversation Smiley

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-09-10/money-laundering-exposed-key-component-housing-bubbles-all-cash-bid

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-10-30/top-10-facts-about-us-illegal-drug-market

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-04-04/six-steps-stash-your-cash-offshore

Virtual currency used in illegal transactions is talking about a pimple on the @rse of a Monster!!

theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 12:14:45 AM

i have also been able (sometimes required) to use large amounts of cash. There are quite a few things that (OSTENSIBLY) you cannot do with large cash amounts , the car example is probably bad. However the TRUTH in the real world is that there is usually a WAY to do it and MANY do. These examples give  a real life view which is not talked about in polite conversation Smiley

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-09-10/money-laundering-exposed-key-component-housing-bubbles-all-cash-bid

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-10-30/top-10-facts-about-us-illegal-drug-market

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-04-04/six-steps-stash-your-cash-offshore

Virtual currency used in illegal transactions is talking about a pimple on the @rse of a Monster!!

Actually, the deal for the VW beetle wasn't shady at all. When I finally decided I wanted the car I literally just said I don't have a checking account I can use at the moment, do you mind if I pay you in cash or money order, the guy went away for a bit, came back, and said no problem.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: