Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:07:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The elephant in the room.  (Read 2917 times)
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 04:07:29 PM

I think we really need to stick together to start a new altcoin spike to hold value in cryptos. I think that the best candidate would be Litecoin, and not for technical reasons, but purely because of it's market cap. ( 1)BTC- 4b$, 2)LTC- 106mil$, 3)PPC- 14mil$ ). With the biggest market cap. of altcoins, Litecoin will have the best starting momentum to start a new boom that will keep cryptos in the picture.

Says the person who has bought LTC!
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 05:38:02 PM

Not altogether sure of it's author though.

That is okay man, it doesn't offend me, because this isn't about me at all.

Let the chips fall where they may.

I will probably go quiet soon. Thanks.

I hope not. I meant I am unsure of where you're coming from. You've presented some things that on their face, I do not agree with. Yet you are coming from largely the same (or so it seems) philosophical underpinnings as I am. On a couple of things, I definitely disagree with you, as I had posted previous. I'm simply not sure on the rest. I was following you on another thread, and your posts were about the only ones that interested me. Don't go quiet!
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 06:53:52 PM

I suspect that the scrypt based altcoins, particularly litecoin (even though I'm amused by and like some of the others) will do the job it's creators envisioned. Act as silver to BTC's gold. With perhaps another acting as copper.

Right, but silver is just a more volatile PM, price is still highly correlated. So its not a good alternative/hedge.

If there's going to be an alternative crypto-currency with a price less correlated (or inversely correlated) to BTC, I'm betting that its XRP (as the dollar to the gold). For one, its the most different (not just an alt-chain). For two, its the only existing alternative to bank transfers for withdrawing fiat or moving fiat between exchanges.

This time around, when other exchanges have their share of the same problems/delays processing fiat withdrawals that mtgox had, i expect ripple/XRP to very well positioned. Both in terms of utility/adoption, and price gains. But its just a bet, and I could be wrong.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
Biomech
Legendary

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 07:13:19 PM

I suspect that the scrypt based altcoins, particularly litecoin (even though I'm amused by and like some of the others) will do the job it's creators envisioned. Act as silver to BTC's gold. With perhaps another acting as copper.

Right, but silver is just a more volatile PM, price is still highly correlated. So its not a good alternative/hedge.

If there's going to be an alternative crypto-currency with a price less correlated (or inversely correlated) to BTC, I'm betting that its XRP (as the dollar to the gold). For one, its the most different (not just an alt-chain). For two, its the only existing alternative to bank transfers for withdrawing fiat or moving fiat between exchanges.

This time around, when other exchanges have their share of the same problems/delays processing fiat withdrawals that mtgox had, i expect ripple/XRP to very well positioned. Both in terms of utility/adoption, and price gains. But its just a bet, and I could be wrong.

Not familiar with it, unfortunately. Could you provide a link? (I'm always about learning new things Smiley )
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 07:36:24 PM

Not familiar with it, unfortunately. Could you provide a link? (I'm always about learning new things Smiley )

ripple.com. Click "wallet" in the top right to create a wallet.

Since bitstamp is the biggest ripple gateway, its the best way to get money into XRP right now. Without a bitstamp account, i think the best alternatives are dividendrippler.com and ripplewise.com.

The best XRP chart is http://xrp.webr3.org/usd-xrp. It shows the bitstamp USD order book (lower price is better, because XRP is the quote currency so price is read as "103 XRP to the dollar").

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
Biomech
Legendary

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 09:27:59 PM

ripple.com. Click "wallet" in the top right to create a wallet.

Since bitstamp is the biggest ripple gateway, its the best way to get money into XRP right now. Without a bitstamp account, i think the best alternatives are dividendrippler.com and ripplewise.com.

The best XRP chart is http://xrp.webr3.org/usd-xrp. It shows the bitstamp USD order book (lower price is better, because XRP is the quote currency so price is read as "103 XRP to the dollar").

Thanks!

I'm going to be gone for a couple of days, as I work a long distance from home, but when I get back I'll check it out. Just wanted to drop the note so you didn't think I was ignoring you as I vanish Smiley

and again @ anonymint, in rereading my first post it came off rather snarky. That was not my intent at all. Chalk it up to lack of coffee. I really like reading your stuff. I just find some of your conclusions very different from mine, even though we seem to be coming from a very similar perspective. Also, from some of you comments I gather that english might not be your native tongue, in which case I have to say you write it well, but it could lead to some confusion of meaning. I only discovered you three days ago, so don't go silent just yet, eh?
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 09:48:06 PM
Last edit: November 17, 2013, 10:06:46 PM by AnonyMint

Biomech, I really wasn't ever offended by your first post, I valued it for being honest and balanced.

I was born in New Orleans so English is my birth language. And I was having conversations with random adults in the park at age 2. I was never brilliant in english, although I did get an A in English 101. On the standardized tests, I scored 85 - 90% percentile on all verbal tasks except for comprehension at which I scored 98%. In the visual mathematics and algorithms (i.e. programming the computer and logic), my IQ is very high. It is difficult to measure it. I estimate somewhere between 140 - 150, e.g. such as this example. That is my blog http://unheresy.com

Also my english suffered from not using it much for the past 20 years, as I lived in an Asia third-world country for much of that time and speak the local dialect.

As for things you may not agree with on the face, let me see if I can disrupt your thinking at the following post I made today:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=222998.msg3615848#msg3615848

I need to go quiet because all this talking is disruptive to programming. And I prefer programming. Fits my mental makeup and personality.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
Biomech
Legendary

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 09:52:17 PM

thanks for the reply anonymint, I will check it out when I return (approx. three days). I'm a few minutes from leaving, and I'm glad I gave no offense.
MaxBTC1

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 09:56:47 PM

Its not really the elephant in the room.  We all know a crash is coming, we all know we need to correct, we all know that we will rebound.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: