Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:05:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain V9 ASIC with poorly configured Static IP and no working reset  (Read 252 times)
sami3121 (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 03:37:04 AM

Hello all,

I've been scratching my head over this one for a long time. I have an ASIC Bitmain V9 which was configured with the static IP address 192.168.1.1 Now when the static IP info was inputted into the configuration screen the person didn't specify a default gateway or subnet. So only the static IP address was listed. Obviously when the unit power cycled to save the new configuration it could not communicate with the LAN.

I've tried hitting the reset button in every which way possible. As well as the IP report button. I tried logging into the asic using the static IP but it gives an error since there is not subnet specified on it.

So heres where things get weird. The miner runs hot which I'm assuming means it is getting work information and hashing. The mining pool which it was assigned to shows that machine to be offline. When I try running Advanced IP scanner the IP 192.168.1.1 pops up with a MAC address but no other info. Oddly this same IP and MAC address only shows up on IP Scanner and not on my router LAN client list or any other listing.

I'm at a loss here does anyone know of a way to reset this thing or to connect to the static IP address with no gateway or subnet specified on the miner?

Thank you all for the help.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FatAnt

Activity: 86

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 03:58:59 AM

What's the LAN address of your router?  Is it also at 192.168.1.1?  If so that will cause IP address conflict when the V9 is connected.  Do you have a network switch?  Temporarily assign static IP address 192.168.1.2 to your laptop/PC.  Connect just your V9 and PC to the switch.  Run IP scanner to confirm the V9 is detected at 192.168.1.1.  You should then be able to use your browser to configure the V9 as needed.  Set your PC back to dynamic IP address, connect V9 and PC back to your router.
sami3121 (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 09:29:16 AM

My Router Lan IP is 192.168.0.1
subnet mask : 255:255:254:0

okay so I have a Ethernet connection splitter with 8 Ethernet ports on it. to supply my miners with LAN I have one Ethernet cable running from my modem into the  first port in the splitter and then i have the miners connected via ethernet to the other ethernet slots on that splitter.

If I understand correctly you're suggesting that I
1) First disconnect every Ethernet cable in the spliter including the one connecting my split to my modem.
2) assign a static IP address of 192.168.1.2 to my laptop
3) connect my laptop via Ethernet to the first port on the splitter
4) connect the miner with a static IP of 192.168.1.1 and no subnet/gateway assignment to the same splitter
5) Run IP scanner confirming the miner IP and then try to log into the config screen via my laptop

FatAnt

Activity: 86

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 03:51:27 AM

Did you get a chance to try those steps?

Since your router LAN IP is not the same as the V9 there shouldn't be an issue with IP address conflicts.

Do you know why you're using subnet mask of 255.255.254.0 instead of 255.255.255.0 ?
Do you know the difference between a MAC address and an IP address?  Notation difference?

Were you able to reconfigure your V9?
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 09:19:02 PM

A factory reset will put it back to DHCP. You dont just hit a reset button to do it, you hold the button down until both lights on the controller flash and it beeps at you. When you let go it will restart itself with factory defaults.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
sami3121 (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 06:29:47 PM

Did you get a chance to try those steps?

Since your router LAN IP is not the same as the V9 there shouldn't be an issue with IP address conflicts.

Do you know why you're using subnet mask of 255.255.254.0 instead of 255.255.255.0 ?
Do you know the difference between a MAC address and an IP address?  Notation difference?

Were you able to reconfigure your V9?

Hello and thank you for the reply.

I did go through all those steps sadly it did not fix anything.

I was using the subnet mast 254 in order to allow my network to gain access the IP addresses greater than the 254 allotted from the 255 subnet masks. Addtionally, I was hoping that possibly by setting my subnet mask to a wider range I would be able to pick up the Antminer. Also yes I do understand the difference between MAC and IP. I even went so far as to reserve an IP address under 192.168.1.1 on my router under the MAC address of the broken antminer in the hopes that it would then communicate. Regardless this did not work. 

I attempt to Flash my miners firmware using an SD card. there were no clear instructions online. I simple formated my SD card with FAT32 and pasted the firmware files provided by antminer for the V9. When I plugged in the SD card into my machine and tunred it on the fan started spinning at max speed and both the red and green led's stayed on. The Ethernet socket is blinking now which I assume means the machine is finally able to communicate. however, I still can't find the presumed DHCP IP for the new firmware. The red and green lights wont go away even when the sd card is removed after power cycling the machine. You think I may have done something incorrectly when putting the files onto the sd card?
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 09:24:57 PM

I dont know anyone who has successfully recovered anything via SD card on these. It just sounds like you have a dead controller.

As as last resort you could wireshark and look for ARP packets to see if the settings went way out of line but with both lights just stuck on thats a classic sign of a dead controller.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2970

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2018, 10:25:55 PM

I think you didn't reset your V9 properly I found a way how properly reset a V9 from bitmain forum check the quoted below.

3. IP Reporter Restore (The miner will automatically revert to factory default firmware)

This method is only applicable to the miner as below. (The SD card slot of the miner should be on the left of Ethernet interface.

Usage: Please power off the miner, then hold down the IP Reporter and don’t release it. At the same time, please power on the miner. Releasing the IP Reporter after 5 seconds, the machine will automatically restore factory settings.

NOTE: This method is not applicable to the miner which has a SD card on the right of the Ethernet interface.
Source: https://enforum.bitmain.com/bbs/topics/3957
Since the SD card slot of V9 is in the left of ethernet the IP reporter must be your reset button.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████