Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:54:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: You don't have to buy a whole Bitcoin! You can buy partial!  (Read 25181 times)
BittBurger (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:18:42 AM

The public needs to know this.

More than *three* people have told me recently they "missed out" on the Bitcoin thing because "Bitcoin is $550 now and too expensive".

Nobody realizes they can buy partial coins.

I realize this has been discussed already but I want a thread front and center on the general forum, so that people researching bitcoin see it and internalize it.

I truly believe if the general public doesn't realize they can buy 0.005 BTC and still make a profit, they wont buy at all, and that is going to adversely affect the success of the market.

Right now is when the general public is thinking of hopping on board.

How can we get the word out?

The exchanges must update their websites as soon as possible to make buying BTC in partial amounts a more obvious thing.

Im going to PM Olaf from Coinbase about this right now... i think its severely important for continued purchases.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dominicwin

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:25:48 AM

The public needs to know this.

More than *three* people have told me recently they "missed out" on the Bitcoin thing because "Bitcoin is $550 now and too expensive".

Nobody realizes they can buy partial coins.

I realize this has been discussed already but I want a thread front and center on the general forum, so that people researching bitcoin see it and internalize it.

I truly believe if the general public doesn't realize they can buy 0.005 BTC and still make a profit, they wont buy at all, and that is going to adversely affect the success of the market.

Right now is when the general public is thinking of hopping on board.

How can we get the word out?

The exchanges must update their websites as soon as possible to make buying BTC in partial amounts a more obvious thing.

Im going to PM Olaf from Coinbase about this right now... i think its severely important for continued purchases.

I heard the same thing a number of times in real life, then I just give them the analogy of a dollar and how it breaks up into cents.

CUBAN CIGARS for Sale - Full Boxes and Individual Cigars https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=299151.0
Austrian GOLD 1oz PHILHARMONICS -  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=330401.0
BUYING BTC HERE https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=334920.0
shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:48:19 AM

Just let them know that millibitcoins are going for about 50 cents each.  Wink

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
Inkvor

Activity: 553
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 04:00:38 AM

When it hits 1000 it will be $1 each Smiley
Pente

Activity: 528
Merit: 527

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 04:49:59 AM

You can still buy a million satoshis for about $5 to $6.
djalexr

Activity: 104

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 08:52:11 AM

It does just sound like such a basic thing, but I do think its a big issue, and I have had to explain to many, many people that you can indeed buy fractions of bitcoin. The sooner exchanges (and even bitcoinity!) start quoting mBtc as well as Btc prices, the sooner this should help people to stop thinking "OMG $500 per coin, oh well too much for me to get involved now."

i545318

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 09:09:41 AM

Instead of thinking that way, what I was thinking about as this price hit 618 points and the future trends 1000 points for one btc, is the possibility of giving somebody a dime, and watching that seed grow into a mighty dollar.

At this rate even a quarter could make you 5 dollars.

What do you think about that?

i545318
EST

Bitcoin Address:

1F15zSWizxupaknq3GkL7Ahmzu2p7DJyM
junshong

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

Hi!

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 09:47:22 AM

But last time: 0.01= $1
Now= 0.01= $5

niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 09:48:43 AM

Of  course you don't have to buy a whole Bitcoin , of course you can buy partials , but it's far better to buy a few Bitcoins. Cheesy

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 02:21:55 PM

Good.

People who don't even unterstand the basics of bitcoin should probably not invest in the first place.

A large influx of naive investors, who don't get the concepts behind bitcoin and only buy because "the price is going up", could be very damaging at this stage.

They are going to become panic sellers at the slightest sign of trouble, and we are going to see yet another massive crash.

Growth is good but it should be gradual and organic.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
j5d

Activity: 91

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 02:50:13 PM

It's insane, the mental block behind buying partial bitcoin.

Here I am telling people at 14$ a BTC to get in on it, and then it jumps in price and they say it's too expensive. I agreed with them.

What stopped me from buying partial bitcoin?? I knew I could, but the constant idea running rampant in my mind was that I had to get a whole bitcoin or more for it to mean anything.

What a silly thought.
drrussellshane

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 02:53:54 PM

Here I am telling people at 14$ a BTC to get in on it, and then it jumps in price and they say it's too expensive. I agreed with them.

What stopped me from buying partial bitcoin?? I knew I could, but the constant idea running rampant in my mind was that I had to get a whole bitcoin or more for it to mean anything.

What a silly thought.

People think of if in terms of tangibles.

People don't want to buy a tenth of a bag of potato chips.

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
superdork

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 05:52:22 PM

Good.

People who don't even unterstand the basics of bitcoin should probably not invest in the first place.

A large influx of naive investors, who don't get the concepts behind bitcoin and only buy because "the price is going up", could be very damaging at this stage.

They are going to become panic sellers at the slightest sign of trouble, and we are going to see yet another massive crash.

Growth is good but it should be gradual and organic.

What is bad about that?

Am I the only one hoping for a crash?

Let those morons panic, get their asses kicked and then open up the door for people like me to stockpile. Bring it on.

feel free to leave a tip in my daughter's college fund if you found my posts helpful 1HiCE3vX7yr7Yqy4yHf36x4w1cmSEsrTbM

(or if you just want some good karma!)
karlmarxxx

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 06:38:55 PM

I tell people that they should ignore the price of bitcoin and look at the investment as you would a stock or commodity. I don't look at gold and say, well it's not an OZ of gold so it's not worthwhile or look at appl and say well if I can't buy 100 shares it's not gonna happen. Just look at the value of the investment in dollars, besides its what most people can relate to anyway. It matters not how much you buy if it goes up another 3000%, your investment converted to dollars also goes up 3000%.
lucaspm98

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 07:59:51 PM

If they cant even do enough research to understand easy things like that there is no hope for them to keep their coins secure or really be able to do anything with their bitcoins, so it's not a huge loss to the community.
remotemass
Legendary

Activity: 1116
Merit: 1016

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 08:36:34 PM

Just tell that bitcoin is like gold and that one bitcoin is like one kilogram, because it was needed a "unit of weight" - so to speak.
You can buy any amount you want up pretty much like with gold. Bitcoin is something like digital gold that exists in the cloud associated with bitcoin addresses that someone may be in control of.

I think it is better to say "to get to control a bitcoin address" than to say "to create a bitcoin address".

Inventor of: "Conic-Upward-Jet-Thrust 𝕊ℙ𝔸ℂ𝔼 𝔼𝕃𝔼𝕍𝔸𝕋𝕆ℝ" https://archive.is/Ouxdl ¦¦ Monetize pics of in/out cash (with GPS metatag on and timestamp captions) ¦¦ archive.is/OMUJQ ¦¦ Forking LITECOIN: bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5362345 ¦¦ Public libraries teaching Bitcoin
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 08:41:45 PM

This sounds so elitist. Its like a Wall Street banker telling someone, "What, you cant afford a new Lexus? Look on the bright side! At least you can still buy the match box car version."

Of course people realize they can buy partial coins, but the point is they dont want to, because they can see where this is headed.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
BittBurger (OP)

Activity: 924

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 10:21:22 PM

This sounds so elitist. Its like a Wall Street banker telling someone, "What, you cant afford a new Lexus? Look on the bright side! At least you can still buy the match box car version."

Of course people realize they can buy partial coins, but the point is they dont want to, because they can see where this is headed.
No they dont realize it.

Apparently you don't talk to the general public much.

I do.

Three people in the last 2 days have said they can't invest in bitcoin because its too expensive at $500.

I put that in my original post above.  Guess you missed it.  Or thought I was making it up.

The public does not understand this.  Not everyone hangs out on bitcointalk.org ...

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 10:24:21 PM

You're making assumptions; this is a grave error, and it's simple to see why.  I have met people who are under the impression you cannot purchase a fraction of a bitcoin, only the whole thing, and so we should make people aware that you don't have to buy an entire one if you're hoping to buy.

The second error is comparing something divisible like a currency to a car; I'd call this apples and oranges, but at least those are still fruit.

Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 10:42:14 PM

What a silly thought.

I crossed that when the price hit $30 the first time this year.  I was all for buying a Bitcoin at $20, but that week I couldn't quite do $30.  Then I realized - and if you read my posts from back then you see I quit talking about "Bitcoins" and started posting things like "0.8 Bitcoin".

Anyway, no need to do anything - the market will reward those who take advantage of this fact, which will help the information propagate.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: