Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:42:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A picture of what our Trust/Distrust Network looks like  (Read 293 times)
DdmrDdmr (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 10759

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2018, 01:49:39 PM
Last edit: January 10, 2019, 03:38:12 PM by DdmrDdmr
Merited by DarkStar_ (2), Astargath (1)

Digaran got me going on this one, asking what could be done to see trust relationships visually. I hadn't given much though to Trust before personally, although I do look at the figures if they stand out in the User Profile.

The Trust.txt file that is made public by themos, and contains the equivalent to our Hierarchical View of Trust, visible here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;full (takes a few minutes to build the complete list). There is no other information such as feedback or comments in the file, so the derived information is rather simple, but graphical. Note that only forum users with trust or distrust are included in the file, and thus in the provided tool.

You can play around with the data using the following this link:
Trust Network

Since I have no Trust/Distrust information associated to my profile, I've taken the liberty of using Theymos' as the example profile for my screenshots.

1. Examples:
The output is something like this:

a) Who I distrust:
Shows who I distrust (equivalent to users crossed out in the Forum Profile Hierarchical View of Trust). As an example, here's theymos' distrusted network:

b) Who I trust:
Shows who I trust (equivalent to users not crossed out in the Forum Profile Hierarchical View of Trust). As an example, here's theymos' trusted network:

c) Who distrusts Me:
Shows who I'm distrusted by. As an example, these are the profiles that distrust theymos:

d) Who Trusts Me:
Shows who I'm trusted by. As an example, these are the profiles that trust theymos:

2. Use
The google product has three Tabs:

2.1. Data:
We don't need to do anything with this Tab.
It's the loaded trust.txt file after processing it an converting an Untrusted Relation to 1 and a Trusted Relation to a 2.

2.2 Who I trust / Distrust:
This tells us who I trust or distrust, but we need to filter by my username and whether I want to see Untrusted Relationships(1) or Trust Relationships (2). To do this:
-   Click the Filter dropdown box
-   Select UserFromName value (a filter should be now visible on the left side of the screen)
-    On the filter you can now type your user name (i.e. theymos)
-   Select TrustType value (a filter should be now visible on the left side of the screen)
-    On the filter you can now type the range: 1 to 1 to see Untrusted Relationships. 2 to 2 to see Trusted Relationships.
If you forget to apply this filter, you will see both trusted and untrusted relation mixed up, and although Trusted Nodes are larger in size than Untrusted Nodes, it’s a bit confusing to have both sets on screen simultaneously.

- Press Find:
-   Filter should be applied and the image limited to the selected user, viewing his trusted or distrusted network.
-   You can adjust the image size and move it around.
-   There’s an irritating thing (that seems to be a bug) that often happens: Not all nodes are shown by default, so you need to increase the nodes in the box above the image (I normally just retype the upper limit of nodes shown by the node box).
-   If you want to filter by another user, it's best to delete the filter (using the cross) and restart again (otherwise it adds both users to the query).

2.3 Who Trusts Me/ Distrusts Me:
This tells us which Networks we are in, either because we are trusted or distrusted. To do this:
-   Exactly the same as above, but filter by UserToName + TrustType.

You can also see the exact data where the chart derives from by clicking on the three dots above the image and dragging it down.

Note This is a similar product in terms of usage to Our very own sMerit Network Picture (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3395255.0)
mdayonliner
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 02:04:28 PM

Hey, really I admire you doing all these graphical analysis  with the data we have so far. Good job.
This one was a lot more easier than the other one. You got the trust.txt file and then just done some string reading

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 02:18:48 PM

Diagaran got me going on this one, asking what could be done to see trust relationships visually. I hadn't given much though to Trust before personally, although I do look at the figures if they stand out in the User Profile.

The Trust.txt file that is made public by themos, and contains the equivalent to our Hierarchical View of Trust, visible here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;full (takes a few minutes to build the complete list). There is no other information such as feedback or comments in the file, so the derived information is rather simple, but graphical. Note that only forum users with trust or distrust are included in the file, and thus in the provided tool.

You can play around with the data using the following this link:
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=18-81RQhVtoKDv4Oifar4qxQaqx0FzeEdrT7I9uFC

Since I have no Trust/Distrust information associated to my profile, I've taken the liberty of using Theymos' as the example profile for my screenshots.

1. Examples:
The output is something like this:

a) Who I distrust:
Shows who I distrust (equivalent to users crossed out in the Forum Profile Hierarchical View of Trust). As an example, here's theymos' distrusted network:

b) Who I trust:
Shows who I trust (equivalent to users not crossed out in the Forum Profile Hierarchical View of Trust). As an example, here's theymos' trusted network:

c) Who distrusts Me:
Shows who I'm distrusted by. As an example, these are the profiles that distrust theymos:

d) Who Trusts Me:
Shows who I'm trusted by. As an example, these are the profiles that trust theymos:

2. Use
The google product has three Tabs:

2.1. Data:
We don't need to do anything with this Tab.
It's the loaded trust.txt file after processing it an converting an Untrusted Relation to 1 and a Trusted Relation to a 2.

2.2 Who I trust / Distrust:
This tells us who I trust or distrust, but we need to filter by my username and whether I want to see Untrusted Relationships(1) or Trust Relationships (2). To do this:
-   Click the Filter dropdown box
-   Select UserFromName value (a filter should be now visible on the left side of the screen)
-    On the filter you can now type your user name (i.e. theymos)
-   Select TrustType value (a filter should be now visible on the left side of the screen)
-    On the filter you can now type the range: 1 to 1 to see Untrusted Relationships. 2 to 2 to see Trusted Relationships.
If you forget to apply this filter, you will see both trusted and untrusted relation mixed up, and although Trusted Nodes are larger in size than Untrusted Nodes, it’s a bit confusing to have both sets on screen simultaneously.

- Press Find:
-   Filter should be applied and the image limited to the selected user, viewing his trusted or distrusted network.
-   You can adjust the image size and move it around.
-   There’s an irritating thing (that seems to be a bug) that often happens: Not all nodes are shown by default, so you need to increase the nodes in the box above the image (I normally just retype the upper limit of nodes shown by the node box).
-   If you want to filter by another user, it's best to delete the filter (using the cross) and restart again (otherwise it adds both users to the query).

2.3 Who Trusts Me/ Distrusts Me:
This tells us which Networks we are in, either because we are trusted or distrusted. To do this:
-   Exactly the same as above, but filter by UserToName + TrustType.

You can also see the exact data where the chart derives from by clicking on the three dots above the image and dragging it down.

Note This is a similar product in terms of usage to Our very own sMerit Network Picture (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3395255.0)

I'm truly sorry man, I guess others now would have to show their appreciation by meriting you. because I'm no longer a source, one of the main reasons for my resignation was having 0 source merits for a few days and another reason was my own inability to behave properly.

I figured that I should stop embarrassing myself over 100 sMerits in 120 days.
Anyways, I'll add this topic's link in my merit review thread to help merit sources finding merit worthy posts. and thank you very much.

BTW, I quoted the whole OP to have for future reference. lol.

🖤😏
DdmrDdmr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2018, 02:29:44 PM

<...>

No worries, it’s been a crappy rainy day right up till now here, so I could invest a bit of time to see what the output looked like. Cheers.
hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 3654

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2018, 03:58:52 PM

Thanks, it’s the first time that I know about this tool, I will use it in the future.
Can you show a list of Trust/Distrust in the same drawing but in different colors?
What is this account "?theymos"?

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
DdmrDdmr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2018, 06:29:31 PM

<...> I will use it in the future.
Can you show a list of Trust/Distrust in the same drawing but in different colors?
What is this account "?theymos"?
Bare in mind that the tools is not integrated into the system and is rather bulky to update contents from trust.txt file (i.e. not seamless as I would like). Data needs to be updated manually.
I can update the file regularly if we need it, but I need to suss out the periodicity I can commit to. When updates do occur, I will specify the date on the OP and add a post to the thread.

The tools is rather basic in terms of capabilities. It´s good to get a proof of concept, since is that it allows us to see information in a visual manner with no complicated integration issues to software. The drag is that it is not too powerful and lacks many features I would like, such as being able to have trust/distrust with different coloured arrows for example on a single graph like you suggest.
I even wanted to use 1 for Trust and 0 (or -1) for Distrust, which is more logical, but the tools refused to display nodes with a numerical value less than 1 (thus I had to turn to using 1 for Distrust and 2 for Trust).

"?theymos" should have come out as "theymos", but importing the file threw in an extra first character in this case (probably because I has to convert the file a couple of times before managing to import it). I corrected the register manually.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: