Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:26:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin price checker windows app ??  (Read 259 times)
BluePowder (OP)

Activity: 203
Merit: 3

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 01:27:52 AM
Last edit: April 25, 2018, 05:29:09 AM by BluePowder

I have a BTC price checker that I whipped up in borland and I'm wondering if there is any interest in such a thing and if so what's a good forum to dump it in.  I recently cleaned it up and made it usable to end users and put it in a standalone exe. I'm curious if anyone is interested in this type of thing since it's more of a hobbyist / small trader tool.  Basically I needed something that would run on my windows media center and be on screen all day so I could catch swings in the price when I walk past the TV.   I recently adapted it to get any price from a API including eth.
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 3817

🪸 NotYourKeys.org 🪸

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 03:02:21 AM

Is there any reason for people to pick your app compared to using Coinmarketcap or Livecoinwatch instead? Installing a price checker/tracker is kinda is unnecessary, as we already have web apps like CMC and LCW. I wouldn't trust it, especially from a unknown developer.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
BluePowder (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 05:36:33 AM

Is there any reason for people to pick your app compared to using Coinmarketcap or Livecoinwatch instead? Installing a price checker/tracker is kinda is unnecessary, as we already have web apps like CMC and LCW. I wouldn't trust it, especially from a unknown developer.

Those are not the same thing.  This is intended for large screen media center and those site are intended for small screen desktops and not very customizable.

There is really no comparison to web apps or anything that runs in a browser or on java.  It's funny you mention trust because those sites are the worst and open up a dozen connections to other sites and share your data, whereas this is a single function locked in http->get .

Obviously you don't have a media center or a always on display like a trader or business might have so I think you missed the point.
Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1308

Get your game girl

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 06:16:02 AM

Those are not the same thing.  This is intended for large screen media center and those site are intended for small screen desktops and not very customizable.

Which windows version do you use ? Depending on your needs,you can look for something like this https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/store/p/bitcoin-price-live-tile/9wzdncrdkgqk I'm sure you'll find it.

There is really no comparison to web apps or anything that runs in a browser or on java.  It's funny you mention trust because those sites are the worst and open up a dozen connections to other sites and share your data, whereas this is a single function locked in http->get .

Wrong.You think the single function just gets the data and doesn't post anything ? How can you be so sure ? Infact,browser based vulnerabilities can only access the data from the browser/cache or the site itself.Unless downloaded locally,such vulnerabilities are likely not to access your private data from the hard drives.Wherein,an app which is installed locally can do whatever the fuck it wants as needed by the programmer.

Obviously you don't have a media center or a always on display like a trader or business might have so I think you missed the point.
I might just be able to develop an app which can be used to display prices on the big screens.
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 10:29:18 AM

it sounds nice but I don't think there is a real "need" for something like that. so in case you were thinking about selling it then think again specially since you already know it would be used by some hobbyist/ small traders. but if you want to give it away then why not make it open source? open an account on github and then put the source code alone there and make a topic in Project Development board here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=12.0

Only Bitcoin
mk4
Legendary

🪸 NotYourKeys.org 🪸

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 11:47:34 AM

There is really no comparison to web apps or anything that runs in a browser or on java.  It's funny you mention trust because those sites are the worst and open up a dozen connections to other sites and share your data, whereas this is a single function locked in http->get .
Alright, so lets assume they do share out data; so you're saying I should trust a random developer with an app instead? Which could potentially be tenfold times harmful? Still a huge no unless you decide to make it open source.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
BluePowder (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 06:21:49 PM

Which windows version do you use ? Depending on your needs,you can look for something like this https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/store/p/bitcoin-price-live-tile/9wzdncrdkgqk I'm sure you'll find it.

What the hell are you talking about.  I said I wrote the app , not that I'm looking for one.

Thanks for offering me a tile for $1.99 that does the opposite of what this is intended to do, and at a requirement to open accounts and accept terms, link my credit card and every other nonsene. This is exactly what I try to avoid.

Wrong.You think the single function just gets the data and doesn't post anything ? How can you be so sure ? Infact,browser based vulnerabilities can only access the data from the browser/cache or the site itself.Unless downloaded locally,such vulnerabilities are likely not to access your private data from the hard drives.Wherein,an app which is installed locally can do whatever the fuck it wants as needed by the programmer.

No not wrong.. you're just a non reader and have no idea what you're talking about.

I wrote the app and single function means exactly that, single function. Its a GET tied to a text box for the URL of your choice.  you're expanding on the programming and saying it could have negative features, duh well obviously any app could have such a thing but that is not an issue of this thread because I was gauging response. If it was released, another capable member like me would vet it first and tell you if it had such a thing, which in this case would be 30 seconds since it's a single function 900kb standalone, it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to find a second hidden function is a 900k app.

The only user fillable is the URL of the API , so you would be posting to where ?  To your URL of choice.   Posting is iniatied by a client but it must have a server listening, so even you're trying to say something is being posted, which it is not since it has no POST function, it doesn't make sense anyway because you're posting to who ? coinbase or binace and they're again not listening because the URL you're hitting is a get to return a price.
BluePowder (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 06:31:25 PM

Alright, so lets assume they do share out data; so you're saying I should trust a random developer with an app instead? Which could potentially be tenfold times harmful? Still a huge no unless you decide to make it open source.

You shouldn't assume this, it's stated up front that they share your data.

I can understand peoples concerns but most of you are raising issues of something that is done at the release stage. See my other response above to the scientist who didn't even read a word of what I was talking about but raised a security issue.

The post was to gauge response for a possible release of a private app and hear from users who might have a use for it.  It's not to hear from all the people who don't have a user for it or all the people who have inserted their own features that I have to defend myself from.

BluePowder (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 06:52:37 PM

it sounds nice but I don't think there is a real "need" for something like that. so in case you were thinking about selling it then think again specially since you already know it would be used by some hobbyist/ small traders. but if you want to give it away then why not make it open source? open an account on github and then put the source code alone there and make a topic in Project Development board here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=12.0

I wasn't selling it.  I wasn't even asking for donations.

I don't like open source for windows app. It's fine for libraries and things that are free but any usable EXE, especially in the BTC world is picked up by the scammers in developing countries and re coded for scam or sold outright. just look at the other post above were the guy tries to sell me $1.99 piece of garbage from the indian app store. This would just be incorporated into one of the many scam frameworks from third world countries and I know this from past experience.

It has nothing to do with showing the source. I'm happy to share it with another programmer.

Anyway there is no security issue in a 900kb exe because there are deconstructors that show you what features it has.
Oceat

Activity: 2506
Merit: 368

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 09:38:45 PM

It would be nice to use such apps like that in windows platform but i wonder if your application does react to the market real-time fluctuation. It could be awesome to see such but i think every exchanges has their own different prices and also can you add the altcoins just like the blockfolio app that you can see what coins you choose to show.

BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 2907

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2018, 09:42:59 PM

I wasn't selling it.  I wasn't even asking for donations.

I don't like open source for windows app. It's fine for libraries and things that are free but any usable EXE, especially in the BTC world is picked up by the scammers in developing countries and re coded for scam or sold outright. just look at the other post above were the guy tries to sell me $1.99 piece of garbage from the indian app store. This would just be incorporated into one of the many scam frameworks from third world countries and I know this from past experience.

It has nothing to do with showing the source. I'm happy to share it with another programmer.

Anyway there is no security issue in a 900kb exe because there are deconstructors that show you what features it has.
I understand that you don't want to give your own develop source code due to many programmers that could make a clone of your apps to use for scamming.

They don't trust any apps for windows if you don't provide a source code from github because if you couldn't give the source code of your app they could not verify if your windows app as a safe software.

Since you are a newbie they can't trust your software because there are many people here in the forum got hack because of some software shared from an unknown person (mostly newbies) they put some backdoor, keylogger, remote access or any code that could collect any data from the victim and stole their bitcoin.

I suggest that you start gaining the trust of the people here in the forum by giving your developed apps with open source so that they can trust your work.

Anyway, your idea was good, but I think no one will interest this kind of app unless if you can add some tools that they can use for analysis that mostly looking for traders.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
BluePowder (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 10:28:06 PM

It would be nice to use such apps like that in windows platform but i wonder if your application does react to the market real-time fluctuation. It could be awesome to see such but i think every exchanges has their own different prices and also can you add the altcoins just like the blockfolio app that you can see what coins you choose to show.

It does't react to the market at all because that would require a lot more like permission from a server owner or a more complicated thinking client,  this is already available on a 1 min chart if someone needs that fast of an update.  It reacts to user entered time so technically you can make it react as much as a possible between 1min to 1440min time interval. Currently I use it on 15min during the day and I'll close it at night or set it to 60min.
BluePowder (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 10:46:46 PM

I wasn't selling it.  I wasn't even asking for donations.

I understand that you don't want to give your own develop source code due to many programmers that could make a clone of your apps to use for scamming.

They don't trust any apps for windows if you don't provide a source code from github because if you couldn't give the source code of your app they could not verify if your windows app as a safe software.

Since you are a newbie they can't trust your software because there are many people here in the forum got hack because of some software shared from an unknown person (mostly newbies) they put some backdoor, keylogger, remote access or any code that could collect any data from the victim and stole their bitcoin.

I suggest that you start gaining the trust of the people here in the forum by giving your developed apps with open source so that they can trust your work.

Anyway, your idea was good, but I think no one will interest this kind of app unless if you can add some tools that they can use for analysis that mostly looking for traders.

Thanks but I'm not selling anything and don't need anyone's trust to offer something for free, especially not from this forum where the readers and thinkers are a rarity.  If I was to make it available it would take one other verifier, which could be from minutes to months depending on how much effort I put in to it.

Really it doesn't even need that, eventually someone who doesn't share your fears would try it and report it as good.  

BluePowder (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 10:54:31 PM
Last edit: April 26, 2018, 05:35:11 AM by BluePowder

Keep in mind any EXE you download is open to anyone to deconstruct and find the function it has, the problems you guys are suggesting isn't really a problem at all, especially at 900k

You guys would rather carry on about stupidness and impractical uses instead of deciding the more important thing, which is, is there a use for the app or not.  And if so, which one of you idiots is smart enough to run it through a decon to find it's only function. I guess nobody here. I'll probably have a better shot at giving away a BTC app in the cell phone forums.
cryptosec.info

Activity: 138
Merit: 74

NotYourKeys.Org

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2018, 02:09:26 AM

You guys would rather carry on about stupidness and impractical uses instead of deciding the more important thing, which is, is there a use for the app or not.  And if so, which one of you idiots is smart enough to run it through a decon to find it's only function. I guess nobody here. I'll probably have a better shot at giving away a BTC app in the cell phone forums.

You sure do know how to take constructive criticism really well; that's for sure. /s

NotYourKeys.org - Not Your Keys, Not Your Bitcoin.
-----
Join the Bitcointalk movement: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5292109
BluePowder (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 05:34:21 AM

You guys would rather carry on about stupidness and impractical uses instead of deciding the more important thing, which is, is there a use for the app or not.  And if so, which one of you idiots is smart enough to run it through a decon to find it's only function. I guess nobody here. I'll probably have a better shot at giving away a BTC app in the cell phone forums.

You sure do know how to take constructive criticism really well; that's for sure. /s

I wouldn't call these replies constructive criticsm.  People are responding with nonsense to spam their ad campaigns.  The only 1-2 normal replies got a good response.
BluePowder (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 05:47:41 AM

Some screen grabs to show what it looks like.

Startup

Click Price

Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1308

Get your game girl

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 06:06:55 AM

No not wrong.. you're just a non reader and have no idea what you're talking about.
Non-Reader ? You can say that.I'm pretty sure what I'm talking about.Don't give me that "I wrote a windows app"  and now I'm the next big thing after Bill Gates attitude.I did misunderstood your post but I'm pretty sure my technical insights are correct.Also you know,people using Windows for "programming" is an instant turn down for me.

I wrote the app and single function means exactly that, single function. Its a GET tied to a text box for the URL of your choice.  you're expanding on the programming and saying it could have negative features, duh well obviously any app could have such a thing but that is not an issue of this thread because I was gauging response. If it was released, another capable member like me would vet it first and tell you if it had such a thing, which in this case would be 30 seconds since it's a single function 900kb standalone, it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to find a second hidden function is a 900k app.
"Single function 900kb standalone" - Lmao Mate,do you even optimise ? I can confidently say you're a terrible programmer if your single function can weigh a standalone upto 900kb.Maybe learn a thing or two instead of being the self proclaimed badass ?

Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 10:43:01 AM

it looks too simple but good. I prefer a little bit more graphical interface myself. also add a little chart under your Logging (To Chart!). if I am not mistaken Windows Forms which you seem to be using already has a chart option that can draw a line chart for you.

in any case you can call me paranoid but I still wouldn't download any .exe file from a developer without a history that I don't know. it doesn't matter what the file is or how big or small the size of it is. Wink

Only Bitcoin
mk4
Legendary

🪸 NotYourKeys.org 🪸

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 12:37:43 PM

Alright. ignoring the security argument, here's my opinion. I personally think it looks too 80's-ish. If I were to project a price display on a big screen I would prefer something that has more of a modern design.

Personally I prefer material design when using any app(including price viewers) on any platform or device. Here's the guidelines[1] if you're interested.

[1] https://material.io/guidelines/#introduction-principles

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀