Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:20:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Generate Coins option necessary?  (Read 3717 times)
alikim (OP)

Activity: 80
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 03:19:23 PM

If I'm running a GPU miner, but I do not have "Generate Coins" option turned on in BitCoin, will it work normally and generate coins?

Or do I need to have it always turned on, regardless of GPU miner?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 03:50:13 PM

If you are generating with the GPU, you don't need to turn on "Generate Coins" in the GUI client.

You will know that your GPU is generating by seeing the khash/s figure that it is reporting.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 04:25:29 PM

... there is no good reason any more to have that 'generate' feature in GUI client ... It has served it's purpose, now it's time to retire it.

Agreed!
alikim (OP)

Activity: 80
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 11:41:39 PM

thanks guys!
jib

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 13, 2011, 12:06:13 AM

... there is no good reason any more to have that 'generate' feature in GUI client ... It has served it's purpose, now it's time to retire it.

Strongly agree.

The CPU miner in the client is almost entirely useless. Even if people do really want a CPU miner, it could easily be separated from the client and made to use the getwork API.

Having the "generate" feature in the client gives new users the impression that mining is the primary way to get bitcoins. I've seen multiple instances in which people say "this bitcoin thing sucks, mining is too hard, how can I ever get any bitcoins". Then it has to be explained to them that bitcoin is a currency to be obtained by trading goods and services, and sometimes they don't seem convinced.

It may be better for Bitcoin if we give normal users the impression that bitcoins are a currency to be bought and sold, and we leave the mining to the enthusiasts and people interested in maintaining the network. At the moment there are users who see bitcoins as just a "collector's item" for people with good CPUs/GPUs. (I actually saw this phrase used in a Slashdot comment).
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
February 13, 2011, 12:18:28 AM

If I'm running a GPU miner, but I do not have "Generate Coins" option turned on in BitCoin, will it work normally and generate coins?

The "generate coins" option is CPU mining, which is mostly worthless these days -- you'll have to generate for a couple years, before getting a single block, most likely.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Anonymous

February 13, 2011, 01:39:48 AM

On the second though, from architectural point of view bitcoin and bitcoind approach is way not perfect. They are trying to be a swiss army knife of bitcoin. Able to do so many things none of them really good, jack of all trades and master of none.

It might have been a good thing at the beginning. But now it does not look that appealing any more. It is, if I may say so, "window'ish" approach of trying to crum everything and the kitchen sink into one exe file.

Wouldn't it simplify life of both users and developers to do it "unix'ish" way. Create a number of tools, each to do one thing well.
- a C lib with all the RPC stuff to be compiled into every other language in existance
- a bitcoin daemon which does p2p thing on port 8333
- a bitcoinrpc daemon which listens on a given IP:port and provides API
- a CLI wallet manager, which does what a normal user needs i.e. sending and receiving the money.
- a GUI wallet manager, which does what a normal user needs i.e. sending and receiving the money.
- a CPU miner if this feature is still desired so much, with CLI interface.
- a CPU miner if this feature is still desired so much, with GUI interface.
etc..

Do this and life becomes so much easier for everyone.

You speak a lot of sense. Modularity ftw.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5152
Merit: 12580

View Profile
February 13, 2011, 10:11:07 PM

I agree. A reference CPU miner should be part of the project, though.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 13, 2011, 10:21:30 PM

Strongly agree.

The CPU miner in the client is almost entirely useless. Even if people do really want a CPU miner, it could easily be separated from the client and made to use the getwork API.

Having the "generate" feature in the client gives new users the impression that mining is the primary way to get bitcoins. I've seen multiple instances in which people say "this bitcoin thing sucks, mining is too hard, how can I ever get any bitcoins". Then it has to be explained to them that bitcoin is a currency to be obtained by trading goods and services, and sometimes they don't seem convinced.

It may be better for Bitcoin if we give normal users the impression that bitcoins are a currency to be bought and sold, and we leave the mining to the enthusiasts and people interested in maintaining the network. At the moment there are users who see bitcoins as just a "collector's item" for people with good CPUs/GPUs. (I actually saw this phrase used in a Slashdot comment).

Totally agree too.
ronaldmaustin

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 13, 2011, 10:28:06 PM

Or do I need to have it always turned on, regardless of GPU miner?

I don't know what kind of GPU you are using or what kind of CPU you are using but I have found that I get LESS hashs if I turn on 'Generate Coins'.  This is likely because the amount of CPU power taken away to generate coins negatively impacts the CPU's handling of what the GPU is doing.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: