Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:13:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Qt on a flashdrive?  (Read 1263 times)
TR4L (OP)

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:13:53 AM

How can I install Bitcoin Qt and the whole block chain on my flash drive and how can I make it compatible with Mac and Windows (I was thinking 2 different Bitcoin wallets that accesses the same block chain or something of the sort).  I'm not computer savvy enough to figure this out on my own.

I have already tried installing it on a flash drive but only managed to get it to work when the flash drive is plugged in; but the whole block chain (and more importantly, the wallet.dat file) is still in my ~/Library folder (and %appdata% Bitcoin folder).   Should I move the %appdata% and Bitcoin folders too my flash drive?

I know I can just copy my wallet.dat file over to the flash drive, but that's not enough.  I don't want to open up the folder containing the wallet.dat file to copy/delete whenever I want access to my coins.  I want to be able to plug in a flash drive, open up my wallet, get my coins, and close it.  Sort of how people have created a BAMT Linux bootable flash drive. 
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Splatter

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 07:15:33 PM

I had this running shortly, until the chain got so big my drive couldn't update because it ran out of space after being off the network for 5 weeks. Now I can't be bothered & just use paper wallets & bitchain when I want to buy something.

You need to modify your shortcut to point to "bitcoin-qt.exe -datadir=<dir>"     replace <dir> with the drive letter and folder your chain file & wallet reside on your flash.

here is a page of other command line options in case you need them
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin

Good luck, hope your drive is large enough to make it worth while for you.

TR4L (OP)

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 08:48:20 PM

Thanks a lot!  I think a 32GB flash drive should cut it!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: