Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:24:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to find "Tom Williams" ...  (Read 7871 times)
Big Time Coin

Activity: 332
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 05:30:29 PM

Alright, I've had enough of al this nerd bullshit. Let's just go and find this guy and lynch him up by the balls. Angry

If it helps find him, here is one of my mybitcoin recieving addresses that I did a fair number of transactions on:
http://blockexplorer.com/address/15qEeifQfkkgThE81PzaZsEkA79dvaMMXE

I traced the last coins sent by hand through a few seemingly automated transfers, and the coins are now sitting here:
1CCYXczyjvPfRxcppV3Pzg8ppyYxQi49Lw
http://blockexplorer.com/address/1CCYXczyjvPfRxcppV3Pzg8ppyYxQi49Lw

mixed in with some other coins

Big time, I'm on my way I'm making it, big time, oh yes
- Peter Gabriel

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 07:38:21 PM

we should pursue all avenues of investigation.
starting with finding the person who paid for the hosting of the site.

maybe we should put a bounty on his head
We can ask Bruce Wagner to setup a bitcoin wallet that we can all donate to.
the more money is in this wallet the more intensive poeple have for coming forward.
turn his friends against him using btc!

bitstarter

Activity: 300

BitcoinStarter.com Support Account

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 07:41:17 PM

the more money is in this wallet the more intensive poeple have for coming forward.

Hmmmm that isn't a bad idea ....set up a "Reward" if he is caught sort of thing ...that way people who are close to him can turn him in ...good thinking Smiley

Bitcoin Crowd Funding! Bitcoinstarter.com
stick_theman

Activity: 372

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 07:47:13 PM

Hmmmm that isn't a bad idea ....set up a "Reward" if he is caught sort of thing ...that way people who are close to him can turn him in ...good thinking Smiley

I lost 0.5 bitcoins in this ordeal, but I'm willing to pledge 5 bitcoins into this reward pot.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 08:49:49 PM

Alright, I've had enough of al this nerd bullshit. Let's just go and find this guy and lynch him up by the balls. Angry

Anyone up for a nice week-long vacation in the tropical island of Nevis?

Umm... You know the shell company is in Nevis, and not the actual perpetrator, don't you?

So... no lounging/tanning by the P.O. box then?  Cry

PO Box appears to belong to a company agent which sets up shell companies for people wishing to remain anonymous.  There's a shitload of companies using both the PO Box and the street address as their point of contact.  It looks like Nevis law prohibits the disclosure of any information about the actual owners/managers/beneficiaries of those companies and they're very cheap to set up (complete with off-shore bank accounts in various safe havens).

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 08:54:17 PM

ok
i have setup a wallet, which will remain offline on a usb key until the reward for "Tom Williams" is claimed

if you wish to donate to this bounty, post on the new thread 'Bounty for "Tom Williams"'s capture' and send your bitcoins to : 1CLgQM4RDPD7FPVhAXfEcvcCLtfFdFe4r

in the event that the Bounty is never claimed. we can discus how to use these funds to help bitcoin itself.

phorensic

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 09:01:33 PM

I find it great how MrTiggr of #bitcoin-police just did 10x the work and 10x the help that this jokester Matthew N. Wright has done.  All without arguing with people on the forum about his resume and trying to start/heavily market a questionable business.  Bravo!
repentance

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 09:16:36 PM

Idle thought here, but has anyone sent a tweet or anything to Anonymous?  They stuck up for Wikileaks out of principal.  And ironically, preventing bitcoin from getting hacked and collapsing protects their potential source of anonymous donations.

I suggested getting 4 chan involved but people do need to realise that if anonymous or 4 chan starts poking around they'll make public whatever they find regardless of whether it's about their "target" or someone else entirely. 

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 09:21:24 PM

I find it great how MrTiggr of #bitcoin-police just did 10x the work and 10x the help that this jokester Matthew N. Wright has done.  All without arguing with people on the forum about his resume and trying to start/heavily market a questionable business.  Bravo!
More info?  What did he find?
bitstarter

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 09:39:12 PM

Hey guys, can I help?

Weird I thought you were banned ?

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 09:39:29 PM

Hey guys, can I help?

Get him!!

bitstarter

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 09:39:59 PM

ok
i have setup a wallet, which will remain offline on a usb key until the reward for "Tom Williams" is claimed

if you wish to donate to this bounty, post on the new thread 'Bounty for "Tom Williams"'s capture' and send your bitcoins to : 1CLgQM4RDPD7FPVhAXfEcvcCLtfFdFe4r

in the event that the Bounty is never claimed. we can discus how to use these funds to help bitcoin itself.

+1 thank you for doing this!

makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 10:57:37 PM

According to the "from the desk of Tom Williams" statement in June, two technicians have access to the server.

All disk keys are held off-site and were never generated anywhere near the internet. All server passwords are unique per server and per user, of course. Only two technicians have access to the secure servers. This access is over a VPN and we only use secured workstations running Linux and BSD to access them.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=22221.msg279396#msg279396

You'd think that by now one of them would have realised that there's something wrong and that if something dramatic has happened to "Tom" they'd be trying to find a way to communicate with the users of the service.
You're assuming that the technicians in question know about bitcoins and MyBitcoin and have authorization to act on their own without specific orders from Tom Williams. I suspect that neither is the case; he's probably talking about hosting company staff rather than anyone he actually employs himself, even if he's not outright lying.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2011, 05:24:41 AM

August 02, 2011, 07:02:26 am
Tom Williams announces to the world that we was "in shock" for a few days  because his site was hacked

i believe that in between the date the site went down and this post was posted. he sold all the bitcoin! and that's why bitcoin was slowly going down all week

phorensic

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 08:33:08 AM

Tom Williams announces to the world that we was "in shock" for a few days  because his site was hacked

i believe that in between the date the site went down and this post was posted. he sold all the bitcoin! and that's why bitcoin was slowly going down all week
That was a troll and proved so by the fact that the account claiming to be the real owner PGP signed all his previous messages.  Haven't seen an official post since the event.
repentance

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 08:36:24 AM

That was a troll and proved so by the fact that the account claiming to be the real owner PGP signed all his previous messages.  Haven't seen an official post since the event.

There's a new announcement on Mybitcoin itself.  There's a sticky thread about it at the top of the forum.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: