Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:23:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Pywallet 2.2: manage your wallet [Update required]  (Read 207931 times)
Joric

Activity: 67
Merit: 130

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 09:47:21 AM

I just added ECDSA compressed keys support, introduced in 0.5.99.
https://github.com/joric/pywallet (pure python)

1JoricCBkW8C5m7QUZMwoRz9rBCM6ZSy96

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cobra

Activity: 289
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 01:46:18 AM

I am in the same boat.....trying to export private keys for use in blockchain.info wallet which says it will import the json dump file from pywallet.

The pywallet.py --dumpwallet was running and showing all of the data on screen. I could not find any exported .json file in either of the two Bitcoin locations on Windows. Also tried --datadir as well and didn't make a difference.
I'm not sure if this is why I'm having trouble but I did pywallet.py --dumpwallet >C:\myexp.json and it would generate everything in the format that is in the previous post with the output in a file.

When copying this text and pasting into the blockchain.info import screen it says it could not decode data. I am running the 0.6.2 client with the legacy wallet format.

Is it looking for a different format?
PolymorphicAssasin

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2012, 02:58:19 AM

I am in the same boat.....trying to export private keys for use in blockchain.info wallet which says it will import the json dump file from pywallet.

The pywallet.py --dumpwallet was running and showing all of the data on screen. I could not find any exported .json file in either of the two Bitcoin locations on Windows. Also tried --datadir as well and didn't make a difference.
I'm not sure if this is why I'm having trouble but I did pywallet.py --dumpwallet >C:\myexp.json and it would generate everything in the format that is in the previous post with the output in a file.

When copying this text and pasting into the blockchain.info import screen it says it could not decode data. I am running the 0.6.2 client with the legacy wallet format.

Read this thread and all others (that my search turned up), and still can't exactly figure out how to get my vanity addresses loaded into a Wallet. Even a Clean wallet. (Using the latest, patched official client).

Basic steps?
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 03, 2012, 03:02:42 AM

Read this thread and all others (that my search turned up), and still can't exactly figure out how to get my vanity addresses loaded into a Wallet. Even a Clean wallet. (Using the latest, patched official client).

Basic steps?

On the command line, use the importprivkey command.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
PolymorphicAssasin

View Profile
June 03, 2012, 01:28:24 PM
Last edit: June 03, 2012, 02:36:02 PM by PolymorphicAssasin

EDIT: Using this utility? or the bitcoind utility?  bitcoind --help doesn't show any options for importing a private key.

I'm not 100% prepared to use a 3rd party utility unless/until someone confirms it works with the latest official bitcoind client and an unencrypted wallet.
kjj
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2012, 06:46:56 PM

EDIT: Using this utility? or the bitcoind utility?  bitcoind --help doesn't show any options for importing a private key.

I'm not 100% prepared to use a 3rd party utility unless/until someone confirms it works with the latest official bitcoind client and an unencrypted wallet.

In the standard client.  Don't use --help, just use help--help means you are asking about startup parameters.  help means that you are asking about RPC calls / daemon commands.

It really is just
Code:
bitcoind importprivkey <WIF key>

but you may need to play with quotes and escapes, depending on your system.  The WIF key is the one labelled Privkey: in vanitygen's output, it starts with a 5.

I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
PolymorphicAssasin

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 01:04:32 AM

EDIT: Using this utility? or the bitcoind utility?  bitcoind --help doesn't show any options for importing a private key.

In the standard client.  Don't use --help, just use help--help means you are asking about startup parameters.  help means that you are asking about RPC calls / daemon commands.

It really is just
Code:

but you may need to play with quotes and escapes, depending on your system.  The WIF key is the one labelled Privkey: in vanitygen's output, it starts with a 5.

Thanks for the response/clarification.

I'm on Win7 64, but "bitcoind help" gives me:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin\daemon>bitcoind help
error: You must set rpcpassword=<password> in the configuration file:
C:\PATHTOMYBITCOIND_INSTALL\bitcoin.conf
If the file does not exist, create it with owner-readable-only file permissions.

So I went and created it - and it complains the server isn't running.  Do I need to be running my own bitcoind instance Instead of / in addition to the -qt GUI??

"Bitcoin-qt.exe help" = does nothing other than start the windows gui.

"bitcoind-qt.exe --help" gives pops up a window full of options that you can't resize and that scrolls off the bottom of my screen (1680x1050).

Ideally I have 4 different Vanity addresses, and I'd like to import/setup a separate wallet for each one.  - One for personal use, one for Dev, one for a friend, and one for the office.

If I'm running the bitcoind server - am I able to specify which wallet to use on startup or can I do that dynamically?

Sorry if this belongs over in the N00b section.

Onichan

Activity: 47

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 02:07:35 AM
Last edit: June 04, 2012, 09:55:32 PM by Onichan

In the standard client.  Don't use --help, just use help.  --help means you are asking about startup parameters.  help means that you are asking about RPC calls / daemon commands.

It really is just
Code:

but you may need to play with quotes and escapes, depending on your system.  The WIF key is the one labelled Privkey: in vanitygen's output, it starts with a 5.

Thanks for the response/clarification.

I'm on Win7 64, but "bitcoind help" gives me:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin\daemon>bitcoind help
error: You must set rpcpassword=<password> in the configuration file:
C:\PATHTOMYBITCOIND_INSTALL\bitcoin.conf
If the file does not exist, create it with owner-readable-only file permissions.

So I went and created it - and it complains the server isn't running.  Do I need to be running my own bitcoind instance Instead of / in addition to the -qt GUI??

"Bitcoin-qt.exe help" = does nothing other than start the windows gui.

"bitcoind-qt.exe --help" gives pops up a window full of options that you can't resize and that scrolls off the bottom of my screen (1680x1050).

Ideally I have 4 different Vanity addresses, and I'd like to import/setup a separate wallet for each one.  - One for personal use, one for Dev, one for a friend, and one for the office.

If I'm running the bitcoind server - am I able to specify which wallet to use on startup or can I do that dynamically?

Sorry if this belongs over in the N00b section.

bitcoind.exe is a command line only client. If you double click it, it will start the "server" if you have the .conf file setup. Then to run commands against it you just open a command window and type
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin\daemon\bitcoind.exe" getinfo
or whatever command you want to run. To stop the CLI server you just issue the stop command. Do not just close the bitcoind.exe window that pops up when you double click it as then it won't do a clean shutdown. Now you can run the GUI bitcoin-qt.exe in server mode so bitcoind.exe will respond to CLI input by having the .conf file configured and running
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe" -server
Then you still run any commands against bitcoind.exe, but you get to have the GUI running as well.

As far as importing priv keys just run
Code:
C:\Users\User>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin\daemon\bitcoind.exe" importprivkey 5abajabsuperseckey
and after about 20-60 seconds it should import it to the client.
TheMartin

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 08:05:53 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF52V6xxCy8
Youtube video to show how to install.
For a trial installation of pywallet your vid was quite helpful last week.

But in the meantime your vid disappeared (or became private) on YouTube.

@ctoon6: It would be nice if you could make your vid available again.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 05:03:05 PM

Just down loaded pywallet for Win7 64 Bit.

Install and and set up went fine. 

Opened web console and dumped wallet.

I can see all the public keys and transactions etc but I don't see any corresponding Private keys?

What is the json key value of of the privatekey.

If i use the tx_k value under  "Get some info about one key and sign/verify messages:" I get

"Error in info page"  under Regular, base 58 and
 "Hexadecimal private keys must be 64 characters long" under  Hexadecimal, 64 characters long

Thanks!
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 11:41:30 AM
Last edit: March 24, 2013, 02:24:26 AM by jackjack

Hi all,

I'm back online for good this time
I missed everything since 0.3.23 so leave me some time to update
I won't answer to previous questions in this thread because it's been a long time and I think their posters aren't interested in the answer anymore (if not, drop me a PM)

Looks like the wallet format hasn't changed much since my departure so I'll work on pywallet again
Please post what you would like to see coming in pywallet (a proper GUI is already considered but it's not a top priority since Qt doesn't work on iPhone/Android)

I'll keep this list updated, by order of priority
  • Fix the corrupting bug when importing compressed key in unencryted wallet (in 2.0b2)
  • Make menus hidable (in 2.0b2)
  • Export priv keys to file (csv) (in 2.0b2)
  • Import priv keys from file (csv) (in 2.0b2)
  • Merge two wallets (in 2.0b2)
  • Stop asking to update in a beta version (in 2.0b3)
  • Repair passphrase setting when merging wallets (in 2.0b4)
  • Forbid things when encrypted wallet and bad passphrase (this doesn't corrupt wallets, so low priority)

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:56:49 PM

welcome back, happy to see this awesome tool being usable again for newer bitcoin versions!
the WUI is proper Smiley
a good feature: import/export all privkeys to a file

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
Hasimir

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 01:08:23 PM

welcome back, happy to see this awesome tool being usable again for newer bitcoin versions!
the WUI is proper Smiley

That's what I'd like to see with support for handling the wallet encryption with whatever passphrase you set.

OpenPGP/GPG key: 0x321E4E2373590E5D  I provide GPG Training services
IRC nick: Hasimir (Freenode and elsewhere)
BTC address: 19hiwsQq7xMAEyQMdiyGjkMGNmpN6GA5wL
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 04:31:08 AM

the WUI is proper Smiley
And I'm happy to come back!
You mean unencrypted privkeys? I'll implement that, but I'll add a warning about security then

That's what I'd like to see with support for handling the wallet encryption with whatever passphrase you set.
What do you mean by handling?
I'm about to add the import of any (un)encrypted (un)compressed key to a wallet, but before any release I still need to find why sometimes compressed keys added to an unencrypted wallet corrupts it...

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 07:14:07 AM

also include encrypted private keys.

For example, I want to do the following:

1. Create a new wallet.dat with the latest version of bitcoin (0.8.1 at the moment)
2. Encrypt this new wallet.dat
3. Because of #2, bitcoin-qt will generate 100 new private keys (or 99)
4. Put this wallet.dat into cold storage (offline)
5. Extract all keys (public and private) using Pywallet.
6. Print this list of keys and store in a vault or safe or folder or envelope.

kjj
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 09:10:46 AM

One thing that is badly needed is the ability to merge two wallets in a single step.

jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 10:56:58 AM
Last edit: March 21, 2013, 01:15:21 PM by jackjack

Both added to the todo list

ATI drivers broke my system... Development paused...
ATI drivers broken, recovery menu of Ubuntu broken, no help whereas the problem is reported on Launchpad for more than half a year... Installing a new Ubuntu is even more a pain than before
At least it's finished now, I can focus on pywallet...

jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 02:18:34 AM
Last edit: March 23, 2013, 12:42:16 AM by jackjack

Here's what is finished:
  • Make menus hidable
  • Export priv keys to file (csv)
  • Import priv keys from file (csv)
  • Merge two wallets

I'd like a few beta testers to play with it before releasing it, anybody interested?
Also, if there are people that love CSS and that want to help, that would be awesome.

Apart from that, you can still ask features you want to see implemented

K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 06:14:12 AM

im up for beta testing

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 02:14:26 PM

I can test too. I have a wallet.dat file with 400 transactions, so that's a bunch of keys maybe. I could also experiment with brand new wallets, encrypted wallets, and the latest wallets with compressed keys.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  

Jump to: