Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 07:32:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What will happen to 'lost' coins?  (Read 400 times)
Ilaybit

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 09:29:18 PM

They are maybe lost, but fewer Bitcoins in circulation could give a better value because it is a very wanted goods.
At first, many people didn't care about Bitcoin when the price was small. I guess from that comes such a high number of lost Bitcoins.
I bet that we gonna hear in the future about lucky guys that found their private keys of long forgotten wallet.
Drendert

Activity: 124

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 11:43:47 AM

Very, it is a pity that their not return. If I could return all the lost wallets since 2013( all in the world lost 3mln coins, considering that all bitcoins in the system can be 21 million, it turns out that about seven of the coins are lost forever.
nahnah

Activity: 167

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 11:51:05 AM

I do not know for sure but in my opinion the lost coin will remain in blockchain and still be a part of it,
because all have been added in the beginning can not be added and can not be reduced,

Mr.Noda

Activity: 1344
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 12:18:33 PM

I read that the development of a coin return algorithm sent to incorrect (non-existent) wallets is under way!

███    TWITTER     █████████████████ MEGABSC ████████████████████     WHITEPAPER     ███
███       ANN                  ██████  HYBRID DEFI ON BINANCE SMART CHAIN  █████    FACEBOOK PAGE    ███
███  TELEGRAM  █████████████████     SWAP      ███████████████████       MEDIUM      ███
krassy

Activity: 476
Merit: 19

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2018, 12:37:04 PM

I think that it is necessary all the same to exaggerate the possibility of restoring access to lost wallets and passwords, or to burn information that is inactive for more than a year. Also, users should have more attention to their data, so that later do not regret the loss.
Daria_daria1992

Activity: 350
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 12:41:31 PM

Yes, it will be lost coins, like treasures that no one will find.  I know personally such examples, when people can not restore their wallets, because they lost passwords.  And they kept a lot of money on these wallets.  Therefore, you need to carefully treat the storage of passwords for wallets.

[/center]
droptableguy2

Activity: 434

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 02:15:08 PM

In my opinion, those coins will be lost forever, no one can find them and no one will get them. It's a pity because of our carelessness, so keep your keys private.

Omnopon)

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 07:17:03 PM

I think that this issue is settled. It seems to me that these coins will eventually burn, because they are out of circulation.
GoodHounter

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 07:20:34 PM

I think that the lost coins will be inaccessible to anyone for many decades
anthinguy21

Activity: 280
Merit: 101

OPEN GAMING PLATFORM

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 07:23:46 PM

If anyone forget their wallet privatekey with full of token and cryptocurrency inside, they'll lose them forever and there are no way these cryptocurrency can be transferred to anyone wallet. But I think it's really hard to lose privatekey cause people often keep their privatekey very carefully but sometime, they still can lose it because of some reasons like hacked or losing their computer Smiley

shinharu10282016

Activity: 700
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 07:27:36 PM

Speaking specifically about Bitcoin, I found this article (linked below) claiming that nearly 4 million bitcoins are already very likely to have been lost:

According to new research from Chainalysis, a digital forensics firm that studies the bitcoin blockchain, 3.79 million bitcoins are already gone for good based on a high estimate—and 2.78 million based on a low one. Those numbers imply 17% to 23% of existing bitcoins, which are today worth around $8,500 each, are lost.

Source: http://fortune.com/2017/11/25/lost-bitcoins/

I don't know how much of this makes sense, to me the number is simply too high. But, who knows. Another point being made in the linked article is that people are going to be much more careful when sending bitcoins in the future, now that the value of this crypto-currency has been firmly established.  

actually the numbers are somewhat near to what can be called lost. Some miners are insane if I may say.

Really. I have read a news back in 2017 where a miner made a mistake or something during the mining of a certain block. They've lost like a hundred thousand bitcoins in a block, iirc.

Correct me i am wrong though. I cannot remember it really. Just the news about some lost bitcoins.
skorupi17

Activity: 490
Merit: 256

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 07:38:27 PM

I meet loads of people who have collected coins everywhere. They have 20 different types of wallets with a little bit of value. It's due to happen that people will loose their private keys or forget that they even have an account. Over time that value could accumulate pretty big. What will happen to these 'lost' coins? Will these stay on the Blockchain forever, accessible to no one anymore?

A coin or token stays where it is unless someone or something transfers it to another location or wallet. So in this case, if a user forgets or lost his private key, then the coins or tokens inside that wallet will stay in it forever. This is the effect of decentralization (not saying its is a negative effect not a positive one). Having those coins or tokens be lost then we could consider them as burnt. Thus, contributing to the scarcity of that specific coin or token and, a possible, increase in its market value.
cliber

Activity: 672

umachit.fund

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 07:39:49 PM

to my knowledge guys, when the private key is lost, then the wallet address can not be opened again. although very many tokens are owned. automatically, it looks like the coins contained in the wallet's address can not be opened by anyone. if my opinion is wrong, please be advised, still very less experience. my advice, keep a good private key.

clang07

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2018, 07:41:37 PM

Yes it is gone forever. It will stay on blockchain forever but no one can access it unless they will have their private key again or someone will have their private key. We hope in the future this problem will have solution.
loaddebitcard

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 11:20:01 AM

Yes it is gone forever. It will stay on blockchain forever but no one can access it unless they will have their private key again or someone will have their private key. We hope in the future this problem will have solution.

Its already a solution like "lost key contract" and stuff like that (google for it) but people doesn't care and continue loosing their funds
kruzer200

Activity: 420
Merit: 12

= DINNGO = https://dinngo.co

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2018, 04:45:15 PM

This is a rather interesting question, which I also asked myself. I think that the coin will not be available..

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■⚫●●     DINNGO     ●●⚫■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
████████  ⚫●●     THE MOBILE DIGITAL CURRENCY EXCHANGE     ●●⚫  ████████
White Paper  ●  Telegram   Facebook   Twitter   Medium   Reddit   Youtube  ●  ANN Thread
dimon01

Activity: 378
Merit: 17

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 04:45:45 PM

I never asked this question, but it seems to me that coins that are not used in any way - eventually burn. Although I can not imagine how this happens.
Kelaychi

Activity: 58

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 04:49:51 PM

In the world of cryptocurrency.. Once lost, its lost forever!! that's why its annonymous...
My thought goes to those who have Bitcoin wallets with sh!t loads of BTC in them before they die and their family doesn't know sh!t about it!
honghe99

Activity: 406

Buy, sell and store real cryptocurrencies

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 04:55:55 PM

Using only a private key to control your wallet is a common feature of all cryptocurrencies. At the same time, this is a nightmare for those who are forgetful.

■         ■         ■         ■         ■         ■         L B X         ■         ■         ■         ■         ■         ■
■     The London Block Exchange     ■──[│  P R E S A L E is L I V E !  │]──■
■  Facebook  ■  Twitter  ■  Medium  ■──  Download On  ──[ GOOGLE PLAYAPP STORE ]──■
Aivengo111

Activity: 392

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 04:58:26 PM

These coins do not disappear anywhere. They can not be used if the wallet owner can not remember the password.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: