Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:07:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Scam Alert: Fake MetaMask App  (Read 155 times)
crypto1010 (OP)

Activity: 581
Merit: 108

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 03:26:50 PM
Merited by Crasengover (1)

The fake app endemic is not stopping on Google Play Store

Just last week, we had reported that Google Play is hosting a disturbing amount of cryptocurrency phishing applications.

The fake MetaMask app is at least the fourth phoney app to get through Google Play, after at least two fake MyEtherWallet apps, and a fake Poloniex phishing app.

It is not known whether a lot of users have fallen for the previous scams, but  the app was downloaded more than 500 times, according to Stefanko.

The reviews for the MetaMask app on the Play Store however show that at least a few users have fallen for this scam.

“The owner of this app is a thief. He stole all my Ethereum. Please block the owner of this application. It’s a scam app”, one user complaint.

“Spam Site [app]. I lost $2700”, another user said in his review.

It is worth noting that Metamask does not itself have any app on Google Play Store. It comes as a web browser extension for Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Opera.

As of press time, the app seems to have been deleted or removed from the Play Store.

H/T Lukas Stefanko

SOURCE https://thenextweb.com/hardfork/2018/04/24/scam-alert-fake-metamask-app-google-play-stealing-users-ethers/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xiaohang07

Activity: 392
Merit: 253

Open and Transparent Science Powered By Blockchain

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 03:36:20 PM

The fake app endemic is not stopping on Google Play Store

Just last week, we had reported that Google Play is hosting a disturbing amount of cryptocurrency phishing applications.

The fake MetaMask app is at least the fourth phoney app to get through Google Play, after at least two fake MyEtherWallet apps, and a fake Poloniex phishing app.

It is not known whether a lot of users have fallen for the previous scams, but  the app was downloaded more than 500 times, according to Stefanko.

The reviews for the MetaMask app on the Play Store however show that at least a few users have fallen for this scam.

“The owner of this app is a thief. He stole all my Ethereum. Please block the owner of this application. It’s a scam app”, one user complaint.

“Spam Site [app]. I lost $2700”, another user said in his review.

It is worth noting that Metamask does not itself have any app on Google Play Store. It comes as a web browser extension for Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Opera.

As of press time, the app seems to have been deleted or removed from the Play Store.

H/T Lukas Stefanko

SOURCE https://thenextweb.com/hardfork/2018/04/24/scam-alert-fake-metamask-app-google-play-stealing-users-ethers/

Thank you for the heads up. It is really hard for google store to identify phishing apps from genuine apps in the crypto space. Hopefully, more secure wallets will be released.

ghonkz

Activity: 459
Merit: 117

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 05:16:01 PM

The only android wallet i use to store my ethereum and another erc20 token is imtoken, but i dont need it though so i uninstal it and download blockfolio instead. I just need to see my invesment if im away from my pc, if im at home i just use my pc to make every transaction. We really need to becarefull cause there some people that willing to do anything to gain money.
Swenna

Activity: 364
Merit: 106

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2018, 05:16:07 PM

Thank you for this. This is the first time that I have heard of a MetaMask app. And with the recent news about the hacking and its relation to MEW, a lot of people is still on the verge of panic and is looking for additional security. They might turn to MetaMask and ends up downloading this and fall into a scam. Nice job for sharing this to the community.
neli234

Activity: 364
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 05:20:06 PM

tks you announced, I dare not sign up for Mew today. very worry
trademark
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 05:24:12 PM

Yes, always be careful when downloading apps.  I always go to the app's website and download it from there.  Don't just go into the google play store and search for it yourself.  If you want metamask, go to metamask.io and the download links are on there.
steplaza

Activity: 175
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 05:24:43 PM

good to know...probably low donwload # should be something to watch out for
keinelaa

Activity: 154

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 05:40:44 PM

So many scams recently, I'm scared of it all. which is the best platform to store currency right now?
mariangpalad

Activity: 196
Merit: 10

Protocol and Token to Reinvent Skill Validation

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 05:44:27 PM

Where would you use this metamask app? the metamask is an extension not ana app,the authentic extension supports the browser while you are using dex or decentralized exhange so that you wont need to put your private keys manually whenever you are going to trade your ethereum and erc20 based tokens,to protect the private keys from being stolen metamask encrypts the keys inside.

I wonder how stupid these people to install an app like this.

mu_enrico
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 2133

Slots Enthusiast & Expert

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2018, 05:45:09 PM

I think this already being taken down on Google Play, cannot see that atm
This hackers are relentless, they created more and more problems
We need to be more cautious

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
freedoom

Activity: 201

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 05:45:34 PM

Wow! Really, even before that, we've already reached, scammers! No one can be trusted in our time, except yourself!
Crasengover

Activity: 336
Merit: 103

Proof-of-Stake Blockchain Network

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 05:56:31 PM

Thanks for information. It's really weird that Google doesn't check such applications before listing. I hope it won't happen with the App store. I recommend not to install any applications before checking the official recouse. There's so much SCAM everywhere that I don't trust anyone.

nezzard

Activity: 434
Merit: 100