Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 03:20:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoind/bitcoin-qt generic/altcurrency  (Read 479 times)
appamalk (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 02:08:08 PM

I'm having difficulty "google'ing" my question so I came for some help.

I assumed that I could re-configure my bitcoind/bitcoin-qt using a ".conf" file that was set up for an alternate currency (hobonickels, how cool is that?)

However, I've noticed my hobo-configured bitcoin-qt generates Bitcoin addresses not HBN addresses.

It seems to me that every cryptocurrency has a similar but unique and incompatible client tool.  Is this right?  Why? 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gorgorom

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Inject Its Venom Into Your Veins

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 03:36:09 PM

Hey, and welcome to the forums!

For HBN you will need a HBN wallet. Bitcoin runs on a seperate "blockchain" as Hobonickles. The HBN wallet will not take as long to "Sync the blockchain" as what the BTC wallet would.

You can get the HBN wallet here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=261550.0

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask Grin

-GoR--

▲Check Out My Projects & Services!▲ 
Please read the goddamned trust rating feedback before you judge...soo stupid..
appamalk (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 03:44:25 PM

Thanks.

I guess my point is with all of the crypto-currencies out there, it seems unwieldy to have a unique client for each. (and dangerous as it's hard to know what sources to trust) 

I expected to configure the .conf in bitcoind to "connect" it to the hobonickel (or any other currency) blockchain.  I'm seeing it's not the case.

Is there any reason a client couldn't be used for any currency?  I thought they all followed the same model.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to learn the hardway by digging though the bitcoind source... Sad
gorgorom

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Inject Its Venom Into Your Veins

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 04:28:21 PM

Thanks.

I guess my point is with all of the crypto-currencies out there, it seems unwieldy to have a unique client for each. (and dangerous as it's hard to know what sources to trust) 

I expected to configure the .conf in bitcoind to "connect" it to the hobonickel (or any other currency) blockchain.  I'm seeing it's not the case.

Is there any reason a client couldn't be used for any currency?  I thought they all followed the same model.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to learn the hardway by digging though the bitcoind source... Sad

They are all based on the Bitcoin protocol. But the parameters of the client and blockchain differ from minor changes to a complete overhaul. While i do agree, with an abundance of coins around, there should be 1 client that could support them all. Perhaps a bounty could be made for this client? A client that you could just import the priv key of the coins wallet and have it all in one?

Only time will tell if something like that is created Smiley

▲Check Out My Projects & Services!▲ 
Please read the goddamned trust rating feedback before you judge...soo stupid..
appamalk (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 04:40:43 PM

Thanks, that saves me a lot of research.  I was getting a little flustered.  But I guess crypto-currencies are still pretty young.

MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 05:11:02 PM

But I guess crypto-currencies are still pretty young.

Yes. Which means you are in the right place at the right time from an investment perspective. This is a site I monitor daily as I watch the events unfold: http://www.coinmarketcap.com. Eventually a few of these coins will rise to challenge the mighty Bitcoin.

Pick the right ones and you'll be very well rewarded. IMO.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: