Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:59:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New User - Looking to trade USD for BC  (Read 2532 times)
Nibbler

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 08:12:16 PM

That's actually a really cool idea. I wonder whether I trust local people more than exchanges, though. But then again they're stuck with the fact that the transfer is irreversible, so it's really more of a question of them trusting me in a way. That could work.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
eskamobob1

Activity: 59

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 08:51:53 PM

remember... the risk for buyers is incredibly small compared to the risks for the seller... most services like Dwolla and Paypal have major protection policies for the buyers, but for sellers it tends to be minimal... when you are buying, if you dot get your BTC, then cancel the payment and its all good... if you are selling, there is not way to cancel the transfer of BTC if you dont get your money... i personally don't use Paypal because they dont like BTC and screwed me for 5 BTC when they were selling for $30+ ea... i would recommend using mtgox as they have one of the highest success rates and policies that protect the seller and buyer and it was specifically designed for trading BTC... the just transfer the money to Dwolla then your bank, or the BTC straight to your wallet from there... some other serices that you can use are trade hill and bitcoinmarket... however, neither of those two move even clost to the same amount of BTC that mtgox does... welcome to the world of BTC Smiley
camosoul

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 10:09:13 PM

I don't trust you just because you have not robbed me yet. I only trust you after *years* of successful transactions. And even then I have my doubts. Experience does that to us old folks.

I couldn't agree more.

But the problem still remains; how do we trade our worthless USD/FRNs for BTCs? Yes, in person, cash only. Yes, I will be armed, and I hope the individual I'm making the trade with is equally wise. An armed society is a polite society... Would YOU follow a CraigsList ad to some stranger's house with a few grand in your pocket? Duh... But if that's the only way, you better bring your gun or you're a dumbass and will get what you deserve...

The locator services invented thus far suck horribly. Anybody in Florida wanna sell me some BTC?

.OROCOIN.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
crepetape (OP)

Activity: 14

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 10:20:18 PM

I used the above link provided to look around the Boston area. *shrug*

Still, message me if interested in making a trade.
timmey

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 10:43:17 PM

An armed society is a polite society...
yeah, so polite.......that's why the U.S. has the highest "murder with firearms" rate of all western countries Cheesy
crepetape (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 11:03:37 PM

So if I were to use Dwolla to add money, then buy BTC from Mt Gox, what would the process be like? Do I provide my wallet address?
camosoul

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 11:08:46 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2011, 11:19:42 PM by camosoul

An armed society is a polite society...
yeah, so polite.......that's why the U.S. has the highest "murder with firearms" rate of all western countries Cheesy

You don't even know who spoke those words. There was no USA that long ago. Get over yourself and read a book instead of parroting propaganda. I'm not here to listen to ignorant political hate-mongering. Any population of human beings, given tools to kill each other with, will use the tools they have to kill each other. Focusing on guns is a wilful deception when people have been finding ways to kill each other, in far greater numbers, since the beginning of recorded history. Certainly, giving all the guns to the government, especially the US government, is an outlandishly stupid idea.

Your Government has killed hundreds of millions of people with their guns in the last 100 years alone.

How many have the drunken 'cowboys' here in America killed? Orders of magnitude fewer. That means a whole lot less.

Your way is a proven failure to such extremes that you have not a leg to stand on with this argument. Several orders of magnitude more dead people doing it your way. STFU. We're even at war (for questionable reasons) and doing less damage than you do every day!

Do not mock us while you step over Dollars to pick up Dimes.... Do you even know what that means? I'm talking to a rock...

Moving on....

I wanted to report that I just received BTC from bitcoin4cash.com

I'm going to bump up the amount a little and send for some more.

.OROCOIN.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
timmey

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 12:27:31 AM

Get over yourself and read a book instead of parroting propaganda.
I wrote one sentence with the message that the u.s. has the highest murder with firearms rate among all western countries. That's not propaganda, it's a fact. Google some official statistics and compare them. Wink

I'm not here to listen to ignorant political hate-mongering.
Again...i wrote one sentence and not a tirade of hate.

Any population of human beings, given tools to kill each other with, will use the tools they have to kill each other. Focusing on guns is a wilful deception when people have been finding ways to kill each other, in far greater numbers, since the beginning of recorded history.
Of course people will always find a way to kill each other. But that's a real lame excuse for giving a gun to everyone. Pulling a trigger from a distance is much easier to do than getting into a fist fight and stabbing someone with a knife. There is also a mental barrier before killing, which gets lowered by guns. Just like remote controlled drones make murdering humans overseas even easier.

Your Government has killed hundreds of millions of people with their guns in the last 100 years alone.
How many have the drunken 'cowboys' here in America killed? Orders of magnitude fewer. That means a whole lot less.
My Government? I doubt it. You don't even know where i'm from. And usually it's not the politicians who touch guns and commit murder en masse. And also that sentence makes no sense at all, >my< government hasn't been there for 100 years. I don't live in the past, sry man, i live here and now. I care about what my government does but i don't care what someone else's government did it in the past(what you can't change anyway and where no one living today is responsible).

Your way is a proven failure to such extremes that you have not a leg to stand on with this argument. Several orders of magnitude more dead people doing it your way. STFU. We're even at war (for questionable reasons) and doing less damage than you do every day!
What are you talking about? What is "my way of proven failure"? And how do i do more damage every day?

Do not mock us while you step over Dollars to pick up Dimes.... Do you even know what that means? I'm talking to a rock...
If you are a rock, then you were talking to a rock. Your monologue was not a discussion.

i'm out. flame on! or shoot someone in the face with your gun. All the rage and anger boiling inside of you....lol  Roll Eyes
crepetape (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 12:31:00 AM

Ok guys let's chill here..I'll moderate my own post.

Back on subject!
indio007

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 01:17:11 AM

Now this is a hell of a coincidence.... I'm in cambridge. I'm wasn't going to really sell at this current price. Since you are a newbie and I want to be a good ambassador of bitcoins I will consider it . How many do you need?
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 01:48:54 AM

I have also used bitmarket.eu and it works great. They serve as an escrow for money transfers directly between clients. You may find someone there who is willing to sell you BTC with Paypal.
crepetape (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 03:54:45 AM

Indio,

Would definitely like to make an exchange. Get back to me! Smiley

I'm around most of the time.

Smalleyster

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2011, 04:13:03 AM

I don't trust you just because you have not robbed me yet. I only trust you after *years* of successful transactions. And even then I have my doubts. Experience does that to us old folks.

I couldn't agree more.

But the problem still remains; how do we trade our worthless USD/FRNs for BTCs? Yes, in person, cash only. Yes, I will be armed, and I hope the individual I'm making the trade with is equally wise. An armed society is a polite society... Would YOU follow a CraigsList ad to some stranger's house with a few grand in your pocket? Duh... But if that's the only way, you better bring your gun or you're a dumbass and will get what you deserve...

The locator services invented thus far suck horribly. Anybody in Florida wanna sell me some BTC?

I'm in Tallahassee and I plan to make myself generally available at either the Regions Bank downtown at a time to be set during the week or at Earth Fare on Saturdays. As soon as I get things finalized for scheduling I will post it. I intend to try and figure out a way for transactions to be as fair as possible for both parties. Anyone who is interested please PM me.

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
indio007

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 04:35:05 AM

Indio,

Would definitely like to make an exchange. Get back to me! Smiley

I'm around most of the time.

Your not really helping me decide if I want to sell them...... How many do you want?Huh

Lie I said I'm willing to part with some for less than the price I was waiting for .

Increasing the size of the user base is in all of our long term interests.

So again ... How many you need? 5? 10? 15? more?
crepetape (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 04:36:39 AM

Oh, yea haha  Tongue

Would like to exchange for 10BTC if you could.
indio007

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 05:07:51 AM

Just for the record, I'm discussing this publicly for the purposes of demonstrating the PTB can't stop us! They can only hope to contain us!

We really shouldn't have to depend on exchanges exclusively. The community should start developing it's own localized network like western union.

The time delay and fees the banks are imposing is an unnecessary expense

I'll part with 10 BTC for 1 1/2 % over spot price we we meet up. I guessing it will be roughly $110 US cash. no checks or money orders Wink

I'm in Cambridge close to the Galleria Mall if you want to meet at my home.

If you  want to wait till tomorrow I can meet anywhere with public transportation.
crepetape (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 05:10:35 AM

Send me an email at dspigs0705@gmail.com. We will discuss specifics there. (And yes I am available tomorrow.)

indio007

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 08:43:40 AM

Another successful exchange.

+1 rep to  crepetape
crepetape (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 08:48:53 AM

Excellent doin business man, +1 as well! A+ to indio
Smalleyster

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2011, 08:56:51 AM

Very cool guys!

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: