Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:28:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Gold and Silver lose all its speculative value to Bitcoin?  (Read 7884 times)
Coinseeker

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 12:26:35 PM

But those are nothing compared to all the gold in the world. Yes, gold will never be worth ZERO, but it can be worth a tiny amount. The current price of gold has absolutely nothing to do with either of those things. It's entirely to do with the mentality that gold is valuable because it's gold.

The market doesn't need to be flooded with supply for the value to fall, demand just needs to drop. And this is exactly what's been happening for the last year or so.

Of course it's been falling, the economy is improving.  Stock markets are breaking records, seemingly, everyday and consumer confidence is greatly improved.  When the economy is up, people move into stocks.  When the economy is down, people move into gold.  None of it has anything to do with Bitcoin.

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
seanneko

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 12:31:17 PM

None of it has anything to do with Bitcoin.

I never claimed that it does. Bitcoin hasn't even made a dent in any markets yet.

Gold has been becoming less desirable for a long time. The Australian Government sold the majority of their gold about 15 years ago. I believe other governments around the world have been doing the same.
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 12:35:08 PM

But those are nothing compared to all the gold in the world. Yes, gold will never be worth ZERO, but it can be worth a tiny amount. The current price of gold has absolutely nothing to do with either of those things. It's entirely to do with the mentality that gold is valuable because it's gold.

The market doesn't need to be flooded with supply for the value to fall, demand just needs to drop. And this is exactly what's been happening for the last year or so.

Of course it's been falling, the economy is improving.  Stock markets are breaking records, seemingly, everyday and consumer confidence is greatly improved.  When the economy is up, people move into stocks.  When the economy is down, people move into gold.  None of it has anything to do with Bitcoin.

Economy is improving lol. You call printing lots of money and giving it to wall street improving? Tongue

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
Coinseeker

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 12:45:38 PM

Economy is improving lol. You call printing lots of money and giving it to wall street improving? Tongue

I don't no, but it's not about what I or you believe is true, it's about people's perception of reality.  That perception is currently one of an improving and strengthening economy.  Thus the reason gold demand is receding.  Just as it always does.  IMO, if people had a real grasp on reality, they'd be rushing to gold and Bitcoin.  Just like some of the smart people on this forum.  Wink

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 01:07:32 PM

Hmm...how transactions in gold got processed without electricity?  Is this a serious question?   Grin  It's just too funny, though, they did seem to manage for thousands of years prior to the invention of the lightbulb.  To say that Bitcoin may "loose a bit of it's edge" without electricity, is the understatement of the year.  Let's be more accurate, Bitcoin is USELESS without electricity.  I'm not sure why this is even being called into question.   Huh

Yes it was supposed to be a simple question. Without electricity Bitcoin will work in the exact same fashion. Cool huh? Smiley
Coinseeker

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 01:10:52 PM

Hmm...how transactions in gold got processed without electricity?  Is this a serious question?   Grin  It's just too funny, though, they did seem to manage for thousands of years prior to the invention of the lightbulb.  To say that Bitcoin may "loose a bit of it's edge" without electricity, is the understatement of the year.  Let's be more accurate, Bitcoin is USELESS without electricity.  I'm not sure why this is even being called into question.   Huh

Yes it was supposed to be a simple question. Without electricity Bitcoin will work in the exact same fashion. Cool huh? Smiley

Please explain.

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 01:15:18 PM

Please explain.

I explained in the post you quoted but didn't read or comprehended. In the exact same fashion as gold. Re-read the post.
Coinseeker

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 01:22:24 PM

Here's your quote:

How do transactions get progressed for gold without electricity? Bitcoin can function in the same way (but it loses a lot of it edge, albeit temporarily until power is restored).

Just saying it's so, doesn't make it so.  Now, back to where we were.  Please explain...if you can.

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 01:23:52 PM

Here's your quote:

How do transactions get progressed for gold without electricity? Bitcoin can function in the same way (but it loses a lot of it edge, albeit temporarily until power is restored).

Just saying it's so, doesn't make it so.  So, back to where we were.  Please explain...if you can.

How do you process transactions in gold without electricity? That is the answer you seek my friend Smiley
Coinseeker

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 01:26:09 PM

Here's your quote:

Just saying it's so, doesn't make it so.  So, back to where we were.  Please explain...if you can.

How do you process transactions in gold without electricity? That is the answer you seek my friend Smiley

Gold is tangible.  Bitcoin is not.  So, I guess you really have no answer, you're just trying to be "right".  When it's still a square peg in a round hole.   Roll Eyes

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 01:29:30 PM

And a private key cannot be made tangible? Wink
Coinseeker

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 01:33:02 PM

A private key to what?  There's no electricity, thus no network.   

Pruden

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

Spanish Bitcoin trader

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 01:35:46 PM

Without electricity, don't think gold will help you. Have you read about the 2001 Argentinian crisis?
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 01:37:18 PM

All of Bitcoin's rules require math only and no electricity. As I said, it's impossible to place transactions in blocks without electricity. However this is always impossible with gold. So, without electricity, Bitcoin will merely fall back to the less efficient solution used by gold. I don't think I can spell it out even more.
Coinseeker

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 01:41:59 PM

All of Bitcoin's rules require math only and no electricity. As I said, it's impossible to place transactions in blocks without electricity. However this is always impossible with gold. So, without electricity, Bitcoin will merely fall back to the less efficient solution used by gold. I don't think I can spell it out even more.

Gold doesn't require a "block", math or anything digital to be used as a medium of exchange.  And I don't know anybody who can solve "blocks"  math problems by hand so, your argument is garbage.  Without electricity, there is no mining and without mining, there is no way to prevent double spending.  So, without electricity, Bitcoin is worthless numbers written on a paper.  Sounds a lot like our current paper fiat.  I'll stick with gold in such a situation, thanks.   Grin

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 02:18:32 PM

Gold doesn't require a "block", math or anything digital to be used as a medium of exchange.  

Neither does Bitcoin. This what you seem to fail to comprehend. Good luck Wink
Firedrake

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 02:37:18 PM

Gold doesn't require a "block", math or anything digital to be used as a medium of exchange.  And I don't know anybody who can solve "blocks"  math problems by hand so, your argument is garbage.  Without electricity, there is no mining and without mining, there is no way to prevent double spending.  So, without electricity, Bitcoin is worthless numbers written on a paper.  Sounds a lot like our current paper fiat.  I'll stick with gold in such a situation, thanks.   Grin

Are we talking about a post-apocalyptic future, where don't expect electricity to return?  Tongue I'm pretty sure everything will lose value, except food and other necessities. (maybe bottle caps, got to start saving those). Otherwise, I think Bitcoins would survive a 1 or 2 day power outage.
Tirapon

Activity: 898
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 02:41:23 PM

I don't think gold and silver will lose all their speculative value. I will be diversifying into PMs in the future, but for now it doesn't make sense because Bitcoin still has soooo much growth ahead.
Coinseeker

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 02:48:44 PM

Are we talking about a post-apocalyptic future, where don't expect electricity to return?  Tongue I'm pretty sure everything will lose value, except food and other necessities. (maybe bottle caps, got to start saving those). Otherwise, I think Bitcoins would survive a 1 or 2 day power outage.

Yeah, we got off an an "apocalyptic", zero electricity debate. 

Coinseeker

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 03:32:39 PM

Neither does Bitcoin. This what you seem to fail to comprehend. Good luck Wink

I've asked you repeatedly to explain but you mostly answer questions with questions.  If you have a sensible argument to refute what I've said, I'll listen.  As I said, you simply saying something is so, doesn't make it so.  Now, do you have such an explanation?  I'd love to be educated.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: