Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:23:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Proof of Residency  (Read 10942 times)
501 (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 01:44:50 AM

Just wondering, what do you usually use for proof of residency?

When I tried registering on Bitstamp, my verification was denied because they said they don't accept screenshots of electronic documents. However, all of the examples they provide are delivered electronically - bank statements (most people receive these by email), utility bill (paid online, no physical letter), etc. I am not sure how it is in other countries, but at least here in the US, I (and everyone I know) have everything delivered electronically.

I know they have the option of getting some sort of notarized court letter but that sounds a bit silly.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dominicwin

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 01:50:30 AM

Print it out and take a photo of it?

CUBAN CIGARS for Sale - Full Boxes and Individual Cigars https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=299151.0
Austrian GOLD 1oz PHILHARMONICS -  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=330401.0
BUYING BTC HERE https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=334920.0
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4412

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 01:51:44 AM

When I tried registering on Bitstamp, my verification was denied because they said they don't accept screenshots of electronic documents. However, all of the examples they provide are delivered electronically - bank statements (most people receive these by email), utility bill (paid online, no physical letter), etc. I am not sure how it is in other countries, but at least here in the US, I (and everyone I know) have everything delivered electronically.

I know they have the option of getting some sort of notarized court letter but that sounds a bit silly.

they like to see that it originated as paper that was delivered by post to your address.

taking a screen shot of a document that was emailed to you is only 1% different then scanning a paper document. but that crucial 1% is the difference in the metadata and binary info in the file that shows if it has been photo shopped or originated as a scanned document from paper.
by proving it has not been photo shopped by it being originally on paper is more proof that it has been delivered to you, meaning more proof you actually live there..

although saying that its still stupidly easy to print out the doctored documents and then scan them in to get the "scan effect" bitstamp is looking for

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
501 (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 02:13:44 AM

although saying that its still stupidly easy to print out the doctored documents and then scan them in to get the "scan effect" bitstamp is looking for

Does anyone actually opt to receive sensitive information by snail mail anymore? I thought most places had phased that out in favor of that new invention named "email."
aneutronic

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 01:16:08 PM

Does anyone actually opt to receive sensitive information by snail mail anymore? I thought most places had phased that out in favor of that new invention named "email."

Snail mail is likely more secure than email these days, I opt out of paper billing because it's environmentally responsible.
These companies need to realize that and stop insisting on scans of paper bills.
Also a paper utility bill doesn't prove residency, it just proves you're paying the bill at that address.

The verification process has become a long agonizing PITA at all that I have tried.
Still waiting a week now for approval from Bitstamp who rejected the first scan of a paper utility bill (the last one before the company finally changed).
Most of my utility bills are in PDF form now, I don't see why this isn't acceptable.

They are not going to shut out the criminals as getting fake documents is not a problem for them.
The end result is they are just making it very difficult for the average person.
501 (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 04:45:53 PM

They are not going to shut out the criminals as getting fake documents is not a problem for them.
The end result is they are just making it very difficult for the average person.

Exactly. They are supposed to be using this process to prevent fraudsters, money launderers, terrorists, etc. But I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that if someone is already a terrorist, they aren't going to think twice about sending Bitstamp fake papers.

Anyone could photoshop a fake bill in 10 minutes, print it out, and then scan the printout back into their computer. It's so simple that if someone is planning to use the exchange to launder thousands/millions of dollars, I'm sure they'll have no trouble taking the extra 10 minutes to do that.

So really the only people being faulted here are the honest, legitimate people who don't want to fake documents and would prefer to do everything the right way.
dustofdeath

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 05:33:21 PM

they are pissing me off. 3 weeks now iv been trying  - even talking with customer support.

Every bill/statement is electronic - and has been for years.

I even sent them my proof of residency  PDF that is digitally signed by Government - should be the strongest/best proof of my location (unlike  printed bills) - nothing. They just write bullshit about  "go there and send valid documents".

Im about to completely give up and forget about bitstamp since they have made it impossible for me to validate (most bills dont have my name on it + ordering them on paper costs extra).

Bitcoin GHAS renting and 0% fee stratum mining.
https://cex.io/r/0/condemned/0/
Bitbuy

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 12:38:04 PM

they are pissing me off. 3 weeks now iv been trying  - even talking with customer support.

Every bill/statement is electronic - and has been for years.

I even sent them my proof of residency  PDF that is digitally signed by Government - should be the strongest/best proof of my location (unlike  printed bills) - nothing. They just write bullshit about  "go there and send valid documents".

Im about to completely give up and forget about bitstamp since they have made it impossible for me to validate (most bills dont have my name on it + ordering them on paper costs extra).

I had the same as you happening. Solution (got verified couple of hours after re-submitting):
*Get the electronic utulity bill
*Print it
*Then Scan it
*Tadaaaa!
Worked perfectly for me like this...
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 07:50:07 AM

The printing out the PDF and scanning is what worked for me too
3 months ago now, mind you

kellrobinson

Activity: 304
Merit: 380

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 02:45:21 PM

What about somebody like me with no utility bills, no fixed address, no nothing  -- just a post office box?  Even my driver's license lists the po box on it as my address.
dracling

Activity: 16

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 10:25:55 PM

I submitted a "ticket" to them:

[i]I find it almost offensive that you require "paper" proof of residency.   What is the purpose of this? I do ALL of my accounting and taxes in a digital format, and seriously doubt that I own a piece of paper for this purpose. Of course, I can just print one out.  But I don't want to.

Bitcoin is a digital currency. Right?  If you require me to print out a paper copy of some kind of "proof of residency," then I believe you do not quite understand digital currencies, and have simply set up this exchange in the hopes of making money from those who (largely) do understand and appreciate them. That's all fine, so long as you are secure, reliable, and have good customer support.  But you should remove the (emphasized-in-bold-font) word "paper" from your requirement for proof of residency so as not to appear uneducated.

Regarding customer support, instead of simply offering "tickets,"  like a gaming server run by a teenager, you need live chat support backed by the ability to write a ticket.

Best wishes for you success![/i]
RUEHL

Activity: 126

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 02:29:01 AM

would taking a photo of documents with high resolution DSLR work?  i don't have a scanner.

Donate BTC: 1FzpMgR34pJbEqtiMEujRiidoL7PgGPaUH
birr

Activity: 867
Merit: 584

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:43:33 AM

Bitstamp accepts bank statements as proof of residency.  I get my statements electronically.  I could probably have printed out my statement, but I went to the bank branch and asked them to print out a copy.  Then I logged in to Bitstamp and went to the page where you submit your documents, and took the photos of my ID and bank statement.  They accepted it within a couple of days.  I used the camera in the tablet I was using to fill out the application.  It's very easy to do it that way.  Just use a mobile device with a camera, if you have one, because there's no fussing with files.  The Bitstampusd website makes it easy.
dogechode

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 03:22:30 AM

Can't you just send a pic of your driver's license or they specifically want a piece of mail?
birr

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 01:33:32 AM

Can't you just send a pic of your driver's license or they specifically want a piece of mail?
Both.  ID and proof of address.
Kiwigoeswest

Activity: 13

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 01:48:02 AM

Send both passport and bank statement however perhaps remove some details like passport number last digits Smiley
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 01:27:40 AM

If you were to print out a bank statement or bill and then take a picture of it, the picture should be accepted.

If they do not accept this then you should offer to have them send you a piece of mail that you would send them a picture of once you receive it. This would prove that you live at the address the mail was sent to.   

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
birr

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:58:14 AM

Guys, they want customers.  Play along, do the little dance; if you have to print the bill so you can take a photo, just do it.

Last exchange I signed up with was bitfinex.  I don't have bills from utilities, so I used my cellphone bill.  I get that bill electronically, so I printed it out.  The bill has color images on it, so I used the high quality color printer at my local public library.  I creased the bill to make it look as if it had been folded to put in an envelope, then took the photo.  Bitfinex accepted this as proof of address.

You do what you gotta do.
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 03:26:59 AM

Earlier in the year, verifying with bitstamp was a complete bitch to do. I was denied twice, which none were my fault. First, they wanted proof of residency, so I uploaded a tax return with SSN blanked out. They said this form is not a valid proof (wtf??). Then second time I used a bank statement, was denied again because they require a front and back scan of a drivers license. The problem is, they only allowed 2 picture uploads! You need 2 slots for the DL, and one picture slot for the proof of residency.

I think it has now been fixed, but now they ask a bunch of BS questions if you withdraw a lot of fiat.

Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 03:56:41 AM

Earlier in the year, verifying with bitstamp was a complete bitch to do. I was denied twice, which none were my fault. First, they wanted proof of residency, so I uploaded a tax return with SSN blanked out. They said this form is not a valid proof (wtf??). Then second time I used a bank statement, was denied again because they require a front and back scan of a drivers license. The problem is, they only allowed 2 picture uploads! You need 2 slots for the DL, and one picture slot for the proof of residency.

I think it has now been fixed, but now they ask a bunch of BS questions if you withdraw a lot of fiat.

The "BS" questions are likely information contained in your credit report to help verify your identity.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: