Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:01:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Fundraising for SETI with bitcoins  (Read 2476 times)
swinewine (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 08:27:13 AM

Hi Guys,

We are attempting to raise funds for SETI using bitcoins (https://setistars.org/) on Youtipit. We have setup up a tipit (http://www.youtipit.org/t/J3399) where you can send your bitcoin donations. Once their fundraising drive ends (in two days) we will convert the bitcoins donated to USD at the MTGox rate and donate the money to them. Once we do this we will provide evidence that the money was given in the form of an e-receipt.

Why are we doing this? Since many organizations are wary of bitcoin we feel that we could act as a intermediary for bitcoin donations by converting the donated coins into legal tender for them. Of course this requires trust from all parties that we will honestly deliver all the donated money to the intended receiver. On the tipit all donations and their values are listed. We will provide evidence that the money has been transferred to the SETI guys. Youtipit has built up a strong user base and I think that our members have grown to trust us as we operate in a transparent manner and are quick to resolve any issues that arise. We have been operating Youtipit for over year now and this is an experiment for us: we are eager to see if this will be successful. If it works we can see us doing this for other causes in the future...
Whats in it for us? We have an interest in seeing bitcoin spread to a wider audience and we feel that causes like this help show the good side of bitcoin. Although we will not make any money from this we hope it will raise our profile and that of bitcoin as a viable means to donate online.

Any questions, comments or criticisms are welcome...

Thanks,

Brian,
Founder@Youtipit 

According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitrebel

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 08:28:14 AM

SETI is a COMPLETE waste of money and I wouldn't donate 2 bitcents to your cause.

Go get some Military Grade Night Vision Infrared goggles and go out on a dark night and you'll find all the intelligent life you want to.

Send me bitcoins instead.

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.
swinewine (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 08:35:44 AM

Ok, signup to youtipit but up some of your work and if I like it,I'll give you tip  Smiley

The reason we chose to SETI is because both of us like what they do and they seem like the sort of organization that might be interested in bitcoin. Of course you and others might not agree but I'm interested to see if there are people out there who would like to donate via youtipit to causes like this. If it works we can try it with other causes.

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 08:40:15 AM

It seems a bit odd to use your computer resources to mine bitcoins and then donate them to SETI or folding@home when you could simply donate some computer power to those projects directly.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 08:40:35 AM

SETI is a COMPLETE waste of money and I wouldn't donate 2 bitcents to your cause.

Go get some Military Grade Night Vision Infrared goggles and go out on a dark night and you'll find all the intelligent life you want to.

It's investment in pure science and ideas that have no immediate commercial return that often eventually produces the discoveries that give you the toys you so like.

How ironic that infrared radiation was discovered by an amateur astronomer and you choose this example when decrying SETI as a waste?!  

You are a prize goose indeed bitrebel.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
bitrebel

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 08:46:42 AM

It's investment in pure science and ideas that have no immediate commercial return that often eventually produces the discoveries that give you the toys you so like.

How ironic that infrared radiation was discovered by an amateur astronomer and you choose this example when decrying SETI as a waste?!  

You are a prize goose indeed bitrebel.

And somehow you equate SETI with discovering Infrared radiation?

You are the Goose, and a fool no less.
and may I add, someone who talks a bunch of shit out of their mouth and uses their brains for farting.

swinewine (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 08:50:16 AM

Julz I think you are of a more similar mindset to myself than bitrebel but I can appreciate his opinion:  finding aliens is not his thing Grin
We set up youtipit to reward people who do interesting and worthwhile things in all areas online.
SETI is a relatively large project but I like what they do and maybe others in the bitcoin community do also. Also this might raise bitcoins profile and show it in a positive light.
bitrebel

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 08:55:15 AM

Julz I think you are of a more similar mindset to myself than bitrebel but I can appreciate his opinion:  finding aliens is not his thing Grin
We set up youtipit to reward people who do interesting and worthwhile things in all areas online.
SETI is a relatively large project but I like what they do and maybe others in the bitcoin community do also. Also this might raise bitcoins profile and show it in a positive light.

Finding aliens is not my thing?

There are 1000 god damn videos on youtube of alien ships all over the earth and space, live network news shots, over the dome in Israel, over Washington DC, on the 4th of July, videos by children, by grandparents, from, the US, Russia, Turkey, Yugoslavia, germany, france, and every country in the world.....

and you want to send bitcoins to SETI?

This is the reason bitcoin will never succeed, if it dies. Too many bitbrains, or not enough people with half a bit for a brain, like the OP.

swinewine (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 08:57:36 AM

It seems a bit odd to use your computer resources to mine bitcoins and then donate them to SETI or folding@home when you could simply donate some computer power to those projects directly.

... yep there are many way to contribute to a project. Bitcoin donations are just one of the way you can help. I remember installing the SETI client years ago and it blew my mind to think of the project that I was in some small way contributing to. Interesting to think of the bitcoin mining parallels though.
bitrebel

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 08:58:39 AM

... yep there are many way to contribute to a project. Bitcoin donations are just one of the way you can help. I remember installing the SETI client years ago and it blew my mind to think of the project that I was in some small way contributing to. Interesting to think of the bitcoin mining parallels though.

Donate your brain to science to study stupidity and there you go.

bitrebel

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 09:08:23 AM

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ed+grimsley&aq=f

Watch this in awe, and realize the only search for intelligent life need to be done inside your skull, because my girlfriends 10 year old child knows more about ETs than you or SETI.

memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 09:25:24 AM

On the other hand, this way, you are helping both projects. 8D
swinewine (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 10:18:20 AM

On the other hand, this way, you are helping both projects. 8D

+1  Grin
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 09:37:17 AM

There are over 50 BOINC projects and some are better or more "worthwhile" than others.  SETI might be well known, but many in the BOINC community dislike it for various reasons.

However, running computer time for things like SETI (normally CPU) doesn't pay their bills and feed the interns who often do the day-to-day work.  Donating some of the GPU generated coins helps.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 06:04:52 PM

I think SETI is worthwhile. Any attempt to detect intelligence in the universe is useful. Lord knows we're not stockpiling any here, lol.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Yuusha

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 06:44:40 PM

Haha, wow, this is great. Tin foil hats are entertaining.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 06:53:55 PM

I am more of a skeptic than most. But SETI is a very worthwhile project.  This is real science and not some kind of fringe pseudoscience. They are not looking for spaceships or secret conspiracies. They are looking for a patterned EM signal.  If someone tried looking at Earth with a radio telescope, they would find us.  So why not look?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
bitrebel

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 06:58:43 PM

I am more of a skeptic than most. But SETI is a very worthwhile project.  This is real science and not some kind of fringe pseudoscience. They are not looking for spaceships or secret conspiracies. They are looking for a patterned EM signal.  If someone tried looking at Earth with a radio telescope, they would find us.  So why not look?

It's been stated numerous times by many intelligent people that intelligent life would not be using radio waves to communicate. We're almost past that now as humans. If you want to see intelligent communication, watch this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO3bo-T1qhA

Yuusha

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 07:05:19 PM

It's been stated numerous times by many intelligent people that intelligent life would not be using radio waves to communicate. We're almost past that now as humans. If you want to see intelligent communication, watch this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO3bo-T1qhA
Yes, the best form of communication is clearly crop circles!

... seriously?
bitrebel

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 07:11:55 PM

Yes, the best form of communication is clearly crop circles!

... seriously?

I never said it was the best form, but obviously one that is already being utilized and overlooked as well. r u sirius?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: