Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:36:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My BFL SC Single 60 went out in a puff of smoke - what next?  (Read 5710 times)
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

@theshmadz

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 02:49:34 AM

Incredible thread, thank you lightfoot for your insight and a question if I may.

Little singles out in the open with a big fan blowing at them should be fine, right?

my temps are also reporting around 70 degrees (which happens to be the ideal temp for my jupiter, so I thought those temps were ok.

ambient is 90 f   poor AC is going full bore just to keep the room at that temp.

The thing is, when I finally got these little singles, I took one look and stripped the cases and threw them and the power supplies away. they didn't even include a fan for the heat sink! one fan only and that is the intake fan, which is terribly constricted by that ridiculous face plate and I thought "I can do better"

So I stripped them down, set the intake fan on top of the heat sink blowing down, and that blower fan blowing across them.

And a question for the OP please. How long was it running before it blew?

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:14:03 AM

Incredible thread, thank you lightfoot for your insight and a question if I may.

Little singles out in the open with a big fan blowing at them should be fine, right?
That could work. I haven't played with the LS yet, but I would say the key is to get a fan on top of the heat sink and one blowing from the side over those FET heatsinks. Running even a little vornado on mine is keeping things cool.

The thing is, when I finally got these little singles, I took one look and stripped the cases and threw them and the power supplies away. they didn't even include a fan for the heat sink! one fan only and that is the intake fan, which is terribly constricted by that ridiculous face plate and I thought "I can do better"
There's only one fan? Blah, I thought there would be two. Ok.

C
peterepeat (OP)

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:52:27 AM

my temps are also reporting around 70 degrees (which happens to be the ideal temp for my jupiter, so I thought those temps were ok.

ambient is 90 f   poor AC is going full bore just to keep the room at that temp.

So I stripped them down, set the intake fan on top of the heat sink blowing down, and that blower fan blowing across them.

And a question for the OP please. How long was it running before it blew?

It had been running for more than a month
j68r

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 02:50:56 PM

Can I just butt in and ask what spec the BFL 120mm fans are inside the single, I am running one outside the case currently in a cold loft and want to get new fans on it and the case back on (originals broken in transit apparently and I don't have them)

tried some noctua 1.44W 0.14A things the guy gave me when selling and they're hopelessly underpowered.

TIA, and good luck OP.

1Bjgt6S6Mk3GsAPM4Mx4RGS4zYhoFURyCZ
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 04:57:56 PM

try the Nidec Servo (Scythe branded) gentle typhoon 1850s

finest fan I have ever dealt with

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/scge120mmsic2.html

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Jcw188

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Carpe Diem

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 06:09:06 PM

OP is there any BFL warranty?  or had you manipulated the single in any way that voids a warranty?  I have often wondered about this, seeing how shady BFL was originally with their delays.

████▄██████████▄
███▄████████████
▄███▀
████
████
████
▀███▄
███▀████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██████████▄
████████████
███████████▀███▄
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
▀███▄███████████
████████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██▄█████████▄██▄
▀████▄█████▄████▀
▀████▄▄████▀
███████████
▄███▀█████▀███▄
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
▀███████████████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
████▀███▀██████▀
███████▄█████▀
████▄▄██████████▄
▀▀██████▀███████
▄██████▄███▄████
█████▀██████████
▀██▀███▀████████▀

████▄███████████
████████████████
▄███▀███████████
███████████████
██████████████
████████████████
███████████▄███▀
████████████
▀██████████▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████
|
Listed
on
BINANCE
KUCOIN
Gate.io
|
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 10:22:46 AM

OP is there any BFL warranty?  or had you manipulated the single in any way that voids a warranty?  I have often wondered about this, seeing how shady BFL was originally with their delays.

Any news?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 06:05:24 AM

here is my 60 single's new trick, it will run about 12 hours at rated hash, then starts slowly dropping speed.  Used to be it took me a few days to notice because it happened slowly, now I will be under 40 in 24 hours and I am rebooting it daily.

anybody heard of this one before?

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Bicknellski

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 06:18:59 AM

here is my 60 single's new trick, it will run about 12 hours at rated hash, then starts slowly dropping speed.  Used to be it took me a few days to notice because it happened slowly, now I will be under 40 in 24 hours and I am rebooting it daily.

anybody heard of this one before?

Memory leak?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 06:26:12 AM

The software load on the LS is really sensitive to temps. Check to see if any of the fans are blocked or down, if you really want to I can take a look at it, drop it in the mail.

Speaking of which I bought a 23.5gh LS that I have boosted to 28gh. Can be done just need software and heat sinks in the right place.
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 06:32:32 AM

temps are stable while it is at full speed, then temps drop with hashrate, if it was thermal I would expect dropping hash with stable temp

I think software, was hoping it was a known issue

lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 06:43:48 AM

temps are stable while it is at full speed, then temps drop with hashrate, if it was thermal I would expect dropping hash with stable temp

I think software, was hoping it was a known issue
Hm, you're right. Does the power supply get warmer? When the hashrate is dropping, what do you see per chip by doing D, then M to switch to per chip stats? I'm wondering if chips are dropping, or the clock is dropping.

Post and let us know.
aurel57
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 09:43:23 AM

I had troubles with my single, wrote BFL for a RMA and within 2 days received an email asking for my original invoice # and email. I wrote back telling them I bought the unit second hand and did not have that information. Within another day received a RMA. I sent the unit in and received a single back in about 1 week. It appears they just removed my cover and placed it over a brand new unit. Really overall great service.

I also have another single that acts the same way of slowing down after about 12 hours. I just stop and restart the easy miner and it goes back up to 58/59GH. I think it's either software or memory problems with my desktop.
Bicknellski

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 10:50:24 AM

Any news?

Any news?

peterepeat (OP)

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 06:52:14 PM

Any news?

Any news?

I have received an RMA number from BFL
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 08:29:14 PM

Cool. Still want to return it, or sell it?
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: