Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 07:24:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: six months later and I'm lost  (Read 1146 times)
spoonbender (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 03:44:42 AM

I think this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=189628.0  answers my question. Working on it...
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
spoonbender (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 05:15:25 AM
Last edit: November 21, 2013, 05:29:54 AM by spoonbender

No luck with using BtToMt as per previous post.

I've copied and pasted the old wallet.dat into the same location on my new computer as I found it on the old computer. Bitcoin Qt does not show my info, and I see no option to import anything (I've saved a 2nd copy on my desktop and have yet another copy on a flash drive - don't want to lose this puppy again!).

I must be missing something, but don't know what it is...

edit
OK. Wait. What I did today, was in my initial recovery attempt, before I knew to look in AppData, I reinstalled Bitcoin Qt. I think I screwed myself with that. That's why the wallet looks empty - because it is. Is there a way to recover the file that was there before I reinstalled Bitcoin Qt?

How bad is my karma if I messed myself up moments before retrieving the file I needed.....  Cry

sbwfaqo

Activity: 6

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 06:11:07 AM

newbie Smiley
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 08:51:17 AM

1) Stop using the drive with the wallet.dat file as an OS drive
2) Place said drive into another PC
3) Run a program to find deleted files (I use File Scavenger - worth buying if you're talking about a few BTC)
4) If you are able to find an older version of wallet.dat then you have some hope.  Backup that file onto 2 USB drives
5) Install new Bitcoin-qt client onto a PC and let it run for a minute, just long enough to finish installing and creating a new wallet.dat file
6) Replace that new wallet.dat file with your backup from one of the 2 USB drives (again under App Data)
6) Resync and cross your fingers
spoonbender (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 03:36:40 PM

newbie Smiley
Thanks for being gentle. I was thinking more like "dumb a$$".

1) Stop using the drive with the wallet.dat file as an OS drive
2) Place said drive into another PC
3) Run a program to find deleted files (I use File Scavenger - worth buying if you're talking about a few BTC)
4) If you are able to find an older version of wallet.dat then you have some hope.  Backup that file onto 2 USB drives
5) Install new Bitcoin-qt client onto a PC and let it run for a minute, just long enough to finish installing and creating a new wallet.dat file
6) Replace that new wallet.dat file with your backup from one of the 2 USB drives (again under App Data)
6) Resync and cross your fingers

I couldn't put the drive into another PC, but I did run File Scavenger. It was only able to find the same 88kb file (compared to a freshly-installed file size of 80kb) that I already had found and used to replace my Qt wallet, so I didn't buy it to access that file. At this point the only remaining question is why the wallet's file size is 8kb larger than a freshly-installed wallet, but the wallet appears empty - nothing. Not even my original address, which I would think would show up. If anybody has an explanation for that, I'm curious, but I think that bitcoin is gone for good...  Cry   Ah, well, live and learn - I don't tend to make the same mistakes twice...
bitcoinminer11794591

Activity: 35

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 04:17:37 PM

Sad i nearly lost all my BTC... I installed Multi-bit and then deleted it... I reinstalled it and somehow managed to restore the .dat file. Now i'm definitely going to be careful
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: