Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:48:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with bitcoin balance  (Read 3371 times)
coincoin (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 09:50:53 AM

Hello,

I have a problem with my bitcoin, i have actualy 133bitcoin but i can't see it on my bitcoin software !

I have this error :
"Warning: displayed transactions may not be correct! you may need to upgrade, or other nodes may need to upgrade"

What i need to do ?

Thanks in advance for your help
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 10:03:02 AM

Hello,

I have a problem with my bitcoin, i have actualy 133bitcoin but i can't see it on my bitcoin software !

I have this error :
"Warning: displayed transactions may not be correct! you may need to upgrade, or other nodes may need to upgrade"

What i need to do ?

Thanks in advance for your help

I'm guessing you have an old version of the client, what version is yours?
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 10:07:11 AM
Last edit: September 09, 2011, 08:23:14 PM by deepceleron

The first thing to do is back up everything in you bitcoin data directory. Backup the backups.

Ensure you are running the mainline bitcoin client .23 or .24.

First try the bitcoin -rescan option to rescan the block chain for transactions. See if this resolves your problems.

Secondly, your data directory may have corrupted blockchain or other files, the easiest way to rectify this is to remove all files except the wallet.dat, and download a nightly version of the the blockchain from http://eu1.bitcoincharts.com/blockchain/ and place this in the bitcoin data directory and launch bitcoin again and let it update to the latest block. If that doesn't fix your problem, try the -rescan option with this new blockchain.

If that fails, your wallet.dat is probably corrupted, restore from a recent backup, or use repair utilities on it.
coincoin (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 10:09:30 AM
Last edit: August 04, 2011, 10:23:30 AM by coincoin

Hello tysat,

My version is the : 0.3.24-beta

The first thing to do is back up everything in you bitcoin data directory. Backup the backups.

Ensure you are running the mainline bitcoin client .23 or .24.

First try the bitcoin -rescan option to rescan the block chain for transactions. See if this resolves your problems.

Secondly, your data directory may have corrupted blockchain or other files, the easiest way to rectify this is to remove all files except the wallet.dat, and download a nightly version of the the blockchain from http://bitcoin.bluematt.me/bitcoin-nightly/blockchain-nightly/ and place this in the bitcoin data directory and launch bitcoin again and let it update to the latest block. If that doesn't fix your problem, try the -rescan option with this new blockchain.

If that fails, your wallet.dat is probably corrupted, restore from a recent backup, or use repair utilities on it.

Hey, i need to save this directory :
C:\Program Files\Bitcoin
?

Also i use bitcoin in a virtualbox, it's a problem ? And i use a VPN service, it's a problem also ?

coincoin (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 10:58:13 AM

I have start bitcoin in console (windows) bitcoin.exe -rescan, but it's the same.

Where is the wallet.dat ? I uniquely see :
wallet.cpp and wallet.h in "C:\Program Files\Bitcoin\src"
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 11:43:48 AM

Hi. I can help you. Do you have skype? You must download "Bitcoin recovery"
Download link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/1hfxqd
Use instructions in it! Good luck!

Ermm.. I wouldn't trust this if I were you.
coincoin (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 11:50:39 AM

Thanks but i never launch a .exe like this ...

I have find the wallet.dat and i try with a other computer with my wallet.dat and it's exactly the same, i see 0 in balance :x

But if i look here :
http://blockexplorer.com/address/

with my bitcoin address, i see 133 in balance :x

What can i do ?

SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 11:52:43 AM

Thanks but i never launch a .exe like this ...

I have find the wallet.dat and i try with a other computer with my wallet.dat and it's exactly the same, i see 0 in balance :x

But if i look here :
http://blockexplorer.com/address/

with my bitcoin address, i see 133 in balance :x

What can i do ?

I'm willing to help over teamviewer or something if you want.
deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 11:54:04 AM

Using bitcoin on a virtual machine is not a problem, it just adds one more layer of things that can break, like the day you can't mount your virtual hard drive.

The data directory is %APPDATA%\bitcoin, typically C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin. If you don't know where this is, you probably haven't backed up your wallet, which should be the first order of business - copy the wallet.dat file there to a USB stick and store it away, or 7-zip it with a strong password and email it to yourself, etc.

If the rescan option didn't work, then we next must suspect a corrupted blockchain database in the local client. Before starting copy the entire data directory to a new location, name the folder bitcoin-backup20110804 or such, so you can always put things back as they were if you screw it up.

You can then remove all the files in the data directory and the 'database' subdirectory except the wallet.dat. If you were to re-launch bitcoin now it will have to download the entire blockchain off the p2p network again, which can take many hours. To give it a head start, you can unzip the files from the bitcoin_blockchain_120000.zip file at http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/blockchain/  into the bitcoin data directory. This download includes the blockchain up to April 2011, but still will require a normal p2p download and rescan of blocks 120000-139580, which is probably where your missing transactions are.

If after removing all old blockchain and database files the bitcoin client and letting the bitcoin client bootstrap from the network again, you are still getting an error about missing transactions and versions (and you've re-installed the client), then the wallet.dat is the only thing left that could be giving you problems. Were you ever running a different or forked version of bitcoin? Perhaps running that old client software will make it work correctly and you can get the bitcoins out. If you do not have a wallet.dat backup, then the only way to proceed after that is to look at corrupted wallet repairs.
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 05:22:14 PM

I am using the 0.72 version, and I need days to update the blockchain file. Now, I met the same problem as OP met.

I am using Ubuntu10.04, in a VM6.0 environment.

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 05:53:31 PM

I am using the 0.72 version, and I need days to update the blockchain file. Now, I met the same problem as OP met.

I am using Ubuntu10.04, in a VM6.0 environment.
The repair instructions are similar as posted above. The blockchain download is likely stuck or corrupted.

The bitcoin data directory is located at ~/.bitcoin (in your home directory). To repair, you will need to close Bitcoin, rename the files BLKINDEX.DAT, BLK0001.DAT, BLK0002.DAT, BLK0003.DAT, rename the "database" directory, and start Bitcoin again to re-attempt synchronization from the beginning, which may take many hours.

If you wish to save some time, after renaming the old files, you can download this ZIP file:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/blockchain/bitcoin_blockchain_170000.zip/download
Unzip it to the data directory, after renaming the old files but before restarting Bitcoin, and you will have the blockchain up to March 2012 and will only need to download new blocks since that date.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: