Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:17:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Concerns about starting a BTC business...  (Read 642 times)
deroyale (OP)

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 09:18:40 PM

If I were to start a business selling goods and/or services in exchange for bitcoin and want to promote myself on this board:

- do I need to worry about my post-count or 'join date' as a mark of trust or knowledge?

- is it wise to start a new account separate from my 'personal' account?

- and I register a domain 'privately', does this make me appear 'shady'?

- is it possible to remain somewhat anonymous?

- is it dangerous to post a 'brick and mortar' address, phone number, or my real name (even in a pm?)?

- can anyone point me in the direction of a thread or two regarding BTC start-up do's and don'ts?

- is it better to use a service like bips or bitpay? What are my alternatives to those services?

Thank you for any and all input in this matter...
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
freethink2013

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 09:25:26 PM

Register the domain privately.
If I were to start a business selling goods and/or services in exchange for bitcoin and want to promote myself on this board:

- do I need to worry about my post-count or 'join date' as a mark of trust or knowledge?
doesn't bother me. it bothers some con people who can't run a real business and will attack you because you are from the real world and weren't in the first wave of bitcoin and therefore an "idiot"

- is it wise to start a new account separate from my 'personal' account?
not sure

- and I register a domain 'privately', does this make me appear 'shady'?
doesn't to me. Depends on the business. Protects you from that radical cranks on here imo.

- is it possible to remain somewhat anonymous?
yes, somewhat but you can only hide so much

- is it dangerous to post a 'brick and mortar' address, phone number, or my real name (even in a pm?)?
register a business name/ltd and use that address

- can anyone point me in the direction of a thread or two regarding BTC start-up do's and don'ts?
no me

- is it better to use a service like bips or bitpay? What are my alternatives to those services?
I use bitpay on a couple of sites and they are excellent

Thank you for any and all input in this matter...

Only been here a short time but if you accepted both cc/paypal and bitcoin as a business all the rest wouldn't bother me.

freethink2013

Activity: 224

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 09:30:20 PM

Only been here a short time but if you accepted both cc/paypal and bitcoin as a business all the rest wouldn't bother me.

Paypal? would be the first sign of a distrustful business. Bitcoin and paypal shouldn't go together, they are very different.

Have to disagree. If someone has a website and they are selling products then paypal is the easiest way to accept creditcards. Bitpay is similar but for bitcoin imo.

I'm no defender of paypal and they are not suitable for trading bitcoin or stuff like that but for all it's flaws it's a revolutionary service.
aussie_striker

Activity: 423
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2013, 02:14:46 AM

Paypal? would be the first sign of a distrustful business. Bitcoin and paypal shouldn't go together, they are very different.

Have to disagree. If someone has a website and they are selling products then paypal is the easiest way to accept creditcards. Bitpay is similar but for bitcoin imo.

I'm no defender of paypal and they are not suitable for trading bitcoin or stuff like that but for all it's flaws it's a revolutionary service.

It is also harder for scams to use paypal as they are very strict on what they accept for business use. Paypal regularly freeze accounts that they suspect of being scams, even if they aren't. The businesses can appeal the freeze but have to If a site is accepting paypal it is likely that it is either a more trustworthy business, or if it has just started say in the last month, then maybe paypal hasn't yet flagged them.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   
   ████████████████████████████████   
     ▀██████████████████████████▀     
        ▀████████████████████▀       
          ████████████████▀         
            █████████████           
            ▀████████████▀           
             ▀██████████▀             
              ██████████             
               ████████               
               ▀██████▀               
                ██████               

trade.io.
██████
██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
██████

▄██████████████████▄
███       ▀███████
███       █████████
███       █████████
███       █████████
███              ██
███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███
███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███
███              ███
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
██████████████████▀

▄██████████████████▄
███████████▀ ███████
█████████▀   ███████
███████▀     ██▀ ███
███ ▀▀       █▄▄████
███          █▀▀▀▀██
███ ▄▄       ███████
██████▄     █▄ ▀███
█████████▄   ███▄███
███████████▄ ███████
▀██████████████████▀

▄██████████████████▄
████████████████████
███████████████▀▀ ██
█████████▀▀     ███
████▀▀     ▄█▀   ███
███▄    ▄██      ███
█████████▀      ▄██
█████████▄     ████
█████████████▄ ▄████
████████████████████
▀██████████████████▀
██████
██████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
██████
██████
.Join the Trading Revolution.
AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:57:42 AM

Wow so much ignorance here.

PayPal is horrible. No self respecting businessman should use it.

That said, most important thing, I think, is to be willing to use Escrow on the first few purchases, then people can trust you and you can sell without it.
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 06:23:56 AM

PayPal is great to take as well as bitcoin. Half of the sales on my site are with PayPal. When people say bitcoin and PayPal shouldn't go together they're wrong. It's like saying cash and credit card shouldn't go together. It's possible to accept both

Using your real name when dealing with people is a great way to build trust.

Nothing wrong with private domain registration. Stop people calling up and pretending to be you.

Is people are worried about trust, offer to escrow with John K on this site.

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
deroyale (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2013, 09:02:32 PM
Last edit: November 24, 2013, 05:11:27 AM by deroyale

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=124441.0

First off, this post brought me back, I haven't seen some of those usernames in ages. I forgot how intelligent people within this community are. Eloquent posts like this that demonstrate knowledge and compassion, but don't 'beat around the bush' are a key aspect of my acceptance of - and continued investment in - this technology.

2.3. You read, on this forum, and you discuss with the market participants. You get your pecking order straight. Who are the movers and shakers? Whose word is worth 10k Bitcoins no questions asked and from whom? Why? You get the history straight. Who were the scammers, historically? How did they do it ? What are the patterns? How did the people who matter react, and why? What does that say about them, how does that color their relationships among each other?

If you don't have the list and don't comprehend how the interactions work, if you look at DeathandTaxes and have no fucking idea who he is, if you think we're buddies cause I mention him by name and so forth you're not done with this. Must lurk moar.

2.4. You ask questions. Only on step 2.4 do you ask questions, by the time you're here you have already done a lot of work! You have sunk into this upwards of a hundred hours of your spare time, whether you like it or not, you've filled half a notebook with dumbass scribblings, you have fucking hand-drawn maps hanging from your bedroom wall. This level of intensity is not an upper bound to aspire to, but a minimum requirement.

Your questions will get a lot of stupid answers but also a complete set of correct answers. Pick the set, disregard the rest, you're on your way.

This is where I am at the moment...   All except being in the 'Web of Trust' (WoT). I had never heard of this before...  reading the above post that qweedo linked lead me down a path last night that excited and scared me...  GPG key id's???  What the hell are those? Going on IRC... ??  I have avoided IRC - successfully - for two decades! Forums have provided me all the info I've ever needed.

Forget that...  I need to challenge myself - I believe know I'm capable. So in I went...  but I'm still working on it.

Is it important? Maybe... maybe not. It did force me to dive back into learning the true capabilities of crypto-currencies.

Starting with...  IRC. Don't I wish I had learned this protocol back in the day...

If anybody can provide me a good (preferably great) n00bs guide to IRC, I would greatly appreciate it.

No, unless you plan on being distrustful.

This is the same answer I got on #bitcoin-otc last night...  I guess I've been worried for nothing. Until scammers and script-kiddies start soliciting in-person I guess I have nothing little to worry about.

The post below was a reply to MPOE-PR's topic (gweedo's link above) and provided a good deal of insight...  (I still am not giving up on the GPG or WoT...  just figure I fully understand IRC first.)

I agree with the majority of the statements laid out here, though I do have just a bit to add.

To me, the most meaningful aspect in a business venture is transparency. Having a WOT account doesn't cut it. If you want me to invest in you, I want to know every detail about yourself and your business. In WOT, JohnDoe99 could have a 500+ rating from all his micro-transactions and other trades...but he may really suck at running a business. If that happens and his business goes sour, I want to know who I invested in to get my money back (if possible).

I understand the whole "anonymity" aspect with Bitcoin, and I don't have a problem with it when it comes to the general public. But if you're looking to raise money for a business or other project, I want to know who you are. To me, resistance in this area means you've got something to hide. It doesn't matter if I'm looking to invest 1 BTC or 500 BTCs... just as I am in real life, I don't invest in something I don't know. Anyone who has read through my Fund info knows I'm all about detail.

That said, I generally still agree with everything else noted in the intro. Get to the know the community...make meaningful posts...show people you're not some dumbass troll. If you make valid, well thought-out, arguments, meaningful posts, and you post elsewhere on the forums besides the 'Securities' section, then that indicates to me that you're invested and interested in this community.

Thank you all for your responses, please add anything/everything you would like to share...

As far as paypal goes...   we'll see. But, I'm in BTC to support bleeding-edge, p2p distributed crypto currency, not legacy, centrally-controlled military-backed debt-based fiat.

Do I want to make 'money'...  yeah. So, again...  we'll see.  ;p

*edit: removed embarrassing language
deroyale (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 05:14:23 AM

I found this interesting and quite relevant:

http://www.youmeandbtc.com/2013/09/what-is-bitcoin-otc.html

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 05:30:52 AM

As a buyer, I prefer to use PayPal or Visa so if there is a dispute or I get ripped off I can get my money back.  I don't have many disputes, and I suspect that the threat of being able to perform a charge-back is a big part of the reason why.

Bitcoin actually kinda sucks for one-time purchases of trinkets and probably always will.  It's great for donations, and reasonable for periodic service payments.

Where Bitcoin really shines is for high reliability storage of value and performing specialized high-value transactions when used by people who know what they are doing.  For now.  I expect that that will change if/when the folks who want it to be earth's exchange currency start to get their way.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: