Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:20:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: questions about accepting bitcoins in my website  (Read 1785 times)
icordoba (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 12:21:38 PM

Hello,
I plan to accept bitcoin payments in a new startup website I am deploying now. I've tested some payments between different bitcoin wallets but I always get "unknown" in the "From" field of the received transactions.
I've also opened the bitcoin port and tested transactions to a IP and that way I get OK fields From: and Message:

My question is:
Is it a bug (not to see the payer address) or there is no bug and I have to ask my customers to pay to my IP to be able to know the payer address?

Thanks,
Ignacio

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
khal

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2011, 12:49:56 PM

It's a feature. You can't see the from address in the bitcoin client.
So, you have to generate an address for each payment and associate it whith your customer account.

You can see them manually on blockexplorer.com
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 12:54:35 PM

A transfer may come from several different addresses. I think they've chosen not to display it in the UI in order not to pollute it. It's true that it would be nice to have this info in the transaction details, but there are higher priority developments before this.

If you really want to know the origins of your money, you can always use the blockexplorer. Just search for your receiving address.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 12:55:26 PM

Ah, and by the way, avoid I.P transfers.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 04:25:32 PM

It's not in the UI because someone might try to actually use it for something, which is wrong. It could belong to some random MyBitcoin user.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2011, 08:18:50 PM

My question is:
Is it a bug (not to see the payer address) or there is no bug and I have to ask my customers to pay to my IP to be able to know the payer address?

There is no bug, but if you want to know one of your customer's bitcoin addresses (maybe you want to send them a refund?) you must ask them.  They might be using an escrow service like ClearCoin or, as theymos says, using a shared wallet service like MyBitcoin.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
icordoba (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 09:36:20 PM

Thanks a lot for your replies,
about them...:

caveden, why do you recommend not to use IP transfers? There are security issues? They have the advantage of allowing the payer to identify with the From: and Message: fields.

If not,
what is the recommended approach to automatic process payments? I was going to use the RPC client to my server so customer:

- Makes order, in which gets a order id.
- Makes IP payment in which he sets that order id at From or Message field
- The software checks payments looking for order ids and sets the order paid generating final invoice.

If IP payments are not recommended and I have to use something like blockexplorer to check where I got those anonymous payments should I make:

- Customer makes order in which he sets his public bitcoin address
- Customer makes payment
- My software checks "blockexplorer" way looking for a payment from customer public address to my public address and set order as paid

is that right?

If so, can I use RPC client to check the transaction log looking for the searched address pair? If not, what about the brand new google java client? (I use Java JEE framework)

Thanks for your help,
Ignacio
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 09:58:16 PM

You must generate a new address for each transaction. Track accounts by seeing which address you receive money at. Using Bitcoin Block Explorer is not necessary for this. Forget about seeing where money came from: instead look at where the money went to.

IP address transactions are insecure because any man-in-the-middle can intercept funds. There's also no way to send/receive IP transactions using RPC.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
icordoba (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 10:29:55 PM

OK. I just wanted to avoid creating an address for every payment. I'll use that approach then.

Ignacio
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: