Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:48:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you protect your personal wallet?  (Read 1602 times)
CoinBand (OP)

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 11:35:29 AM

I am not satisfied with the way i handle wallet and i am willing to change it. I use more computers so i am thinking to get rid off wallet on disk and buy a small usb flash keychain like this http://www.verbatim.com/prod/usb-drives/everyday-usb-drives/store-n-go-micro-usb-drive/ or even http://www.corsair.com/usb-drive/flash-padlock-2-usb-drive.html install electrum(?) and make some offline backup (another flash under pillow? Smiley).

How do you handle your bitcoins? Are you paranoic?

It seems that hardware devices (like http://www.bitcointrezor.com/) are still distant future

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ch3weh

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 11:54:03 AM

My main wallet is sitting on an offline linux box using Armoury. Encrypted to hell and back.

For encrypted pen drives, I like using the Ironkeys.
Barek

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 01:27:10 PM

My main wallet is sitting on an offline linux box using Armoury  Grin. Encrypted to hell and back.

For encrypted pen drives, I like using the Ironkeys.

Another vote for Armory.
Apraksin

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

Moon?

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 01:50:08 PM

The main part is in a paper wallet in a bank vault.
grnbrg

Activity: 509
Merit: 500

Official LRM shill

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 04:46:48 PM

If my coins ever amount to a few thousand $$, I'll be creating an offline system for cold storage.  The wallet files for that system will be treated the same way as my current wallets...  Encrypted by the client, then GPG encrypted, and stored on multiple servers and locations.

I trust GPG more than I would trust a bank vault, and certainly more than a USB drive.  I have GPG encrypted copies of my wallet on several home servers, my work computer, stored as GMail attachments, GDrive files, etc.  I want there to be no chance of losing it.

Also, looking to the future, if I create a cold storage wallet that I don't intend to access for years, I will be storing encrypted copies of the plaintext keys, not a binary-format wallet.  Formats change, and I don't want a file that bitcoin-qt 0.8.5 reads now, but bitcoin-wallet 7.4.2 doesn't understand.  (Paper wallets already have this "feature", as they tend to just be a QR Code with the private key...)

My 0.000024096BTC...

grnbrg.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 05:21:37 PM

Offline Armory with encrypted and paper backups.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Steveia

Activity: 77

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 05:35:01 PM

If my coins ever amount to a few thousand $$, I'll be creating an offline system for cold storage.  The wallet files for that system will be treated the same way as my current wallets...  Encrypted by the client, then GPG encrypted, and stored on multiple servers and locations.

I trust GPG more than I would trust a bank vault, and certainly more than a USB drive.  I have GPG encrypted copies of my wallet on several home servers, my work computer, stored as GMail attachments, GDrive files, etc.  I want there to be no chance of losing it.

Also, looking to the future, if I create a cold storage wallet that I don't intend to access for years, I will be storing encrypted copies of the plaintext keys, not a binary-format wallet.  Formats change, and I don't want a file that bitcoin-qt 0.8.5 reads now, but bitcoin-wallet 7.4.2 doesn't understand.  (Paper wallets already have this "feature", as they tend to just be a QR Code with the private key...)

My 0.000024096BTC...

grnbrg.

Heavy duty precautions for such a modest amount of coins...but hey, you never know.
Jonton

Activity: 42

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 05:45:23 PM
Last edit: November 25, 2013, 07:13:40 PM by Jonton

Paper wallet(S!)

Not printet. "Polaroidparanoidstyle".

Photos laminated and deeeeep bury into the ground of a minefield at a warzone.

The problem is now, how to get back the wallet. Fuck it. I´m sending my troops  for peace... Grin

p.s Plural is important
CoinBand (OP)

Activity: 80

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 06:38:34 PM

Thanks for your posts!

For storing in long term seems paper wallet(s!) as best option.

Idea to encrypt wallet with gpg and spread it over world is awesome. But in short term it seems overcomplicated to work with it at daily basis(is it not?) and in long term you are still depending on private key (another storing or loosing problem...)

Jonton

Activity: 42

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 07:13:04 PM

Thanks for your posts!

For storing in long term seems paper wallet(s!) as best option.

Idea to encrypt wallet with gpg and spread it over world is awesome. But in short term it seems overcomplicated to work with it at daily basis(is it not?) and in long term you are still depending on private key (another storing or loosing problem...)

No, that´s easy. Every used Privatekey is "burned". ---> Diversificate + Change Wallet / onto the next public key you had created...
What´s "Overcomplicated" if you can chill...hm?

Just wait for the hardware solutions...

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2013, 07:15:46 PM

when you store them on a USB drive, dont store them just on one.

grnbrg

Official LRM shill

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 07:22:46 PM

It's an encrypted backup, not an active wallet.  Day-to-day use is with your secure client, and you update your wallet backup occasionally, although probably less often than you think.  

Paper wallets tend to be unencrypted.  If someone breaks into the bank, and steals the QR code with your cold wallet private key, you're screwed.  If you've got a backup of an old cold wallet that's encrypted, but you don't remember the password(s), you're screwed.  If you have a single backup of your cold wallet as a paper wallet, and both the backup and the offline computer is destroyed in a house fire, you're screwed.

GPG encryption is going to be more reliable than virtually any physical security you can name, assuming you select a secure enough passphrase.  And a digital file who's security you trust more than any bank vault can be copied anywhere, making it virtually impossible to lose all copies.

grnbrg.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 09:10:44 PM

Small daily-spending wallet: on my Android phone.

Big cold-storage wallet: printed, laminated, in a ziplock baggie, in a Pelican waterproof case, inside my fireproof safe.

What I want to do is 3d print my private key qr-code and store that in a safe.

Buy & Hold
grnbrg

Official LRM shill

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 09:17:32 PM

Big cold-storage wallet: printed, laminated, in a ziplock baggie, in a Pelican waterproof case, inside my fireproof safe.

What I want to do is 3d print my private key qr-code and store that in a safe.
What's your plan if there's a fire, and it turns out the fireproof safe is less fireproof than expected?

grnbrg.
Syke
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 10:20:42 PM

What's your plan if there's a fire, and it turns out the fireproof safe is less fireproof than expected?

No plan is foolproof. Total loss through a major fire is a very small possibility. I'll have to check my property insurance for fire coverage.

Buy & Hold
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 10:35:29 PM

Distributed backups. Several copies spread amongst the family so there is no single point of failure, one I keep on my person at all times, online backup. All encrypted and hidden behind several layers of passwords of course. No paper wallet.

For me to lose my bitcoins several buildings would have to burn down at the same time AND I would have to lose my usb drive AND the online storage I use would have to go down. All at once. Not bloody likely.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
Syke
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 12:19:00 AM

All encrypted and hidden behind several layers of passwords of course.

How do you keep the passwords safe and secure?

Buy & Hold
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 12:37:44 AM

All encrypted and hidden behind several layers of passwords of course.

How do you keep the passwords safe and secure?
In my head, obviously. No, there is no danger of losing them.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: