Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:53:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP! ELECTRUM crashed & now I've lost my BTC!!  (Read 5992 times)
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2013, 06:36:08 PM

Yes I have the words and everytime I restore it brings up a different wallet.

some time ago there was the case of a user suffering from dyslexia.
he had saved his seed on paper, but was not able to restore because he made several mistakes writing it down.
luckily I was able to find the original seed.

This is why the client now asks users to retype their seed during wallet creation.
I guess this is about the best we can do to prevent such disasters.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zonts (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 07:59:29 PM

This is why the client now asks users to retype their seed during wallet creation.
I guess this is about the best we can do to prevent such disasters.

That was why I mentioned that I take pictures/screenshots of stuff like that so that I don't have to worry about it.  SO if anything I may be a narcoleptic or something or maybe I go into trances and don't realize what I'm doing and that is what happened to my seed,  J/K... No I know if I had been presented a seed to record in some way, that I would have no doubt, but im thinking the crash at the right (or wrong actually) time is what caused this.

I just can't believe that I am the ONLY person with certain info about the transaction but that won't help me get my coins... SO I have the seed info, its correct, it briongs up either the wrong wallet which is impossible, or it somehow lost the info for my transaction, so to hell with the seed.  How else can I get my coins if I have "TXId" code and "default wallet" files?
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2013, 10:01:27 PM

zonts, man, chillout.

Have you tried in a different computer to install the latest version of Electrum and write one by one each word in plain English to see if the computer you are using is not ok?

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
Eadeqa

Activity: 644

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 06:02:14 AM

I just can't believe that I am the ONLY person with certain info about the transaction but that won't help me get my coins... SO I have the seed info, its correct, it briongs up either the wrong wallet which is impossible, or it somehow lost the info for my transaction, so to hell with the seed.  How else can I get my coins if I have "TXId" code and "default wallet" files?

Please post the "TXId" code  here

Nomi, Shan, Adnan, Noshi, Nxt, Adn Khn
NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
https://github.com/Lafihh/encryptiontest
zonts (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 07:10:23 AM

Okay I may have stumbled upon a clue:  I came across a post here about someone else with similar prob because he didn't pay the site their commission so they never sent them totally because he sent all the coins with out the commission, so maybe this is the case in my Localbtc.com wallet history I see the tansactions had some red & some green arrows so maybe it never went all the way through?

I was wary of showing the Tax Id but after researching I see that is not going to compromise my coins, now but had to check first, so here we go:

1st transaction:

txid 45fb2428d8296ccc0efea523eb7f6bda5ba458c79682159f7f02694e4887b4a3

2nd transaction:

txid 9e416cd6d0826cd459b63e9b778a5b344bef1abd693bc9f54f2c3cd533e579e8
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 08:14:44 AM

Well the transactions look smooth. The second one was without fees but it is confirmed anyway.
As long as you properly restore your wallet you should be able to use them.
zonts (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 08:53:58 AM

I have properly restored my wallet and it's running right now, but there are NO transactions in history and no BTC on balance. 

So this must not be my wallet I sent the coins to. I'm seeing this is a common occurrence with "wallets" like electrum and other similar things, as I do more reading on the subject and it appears that since everyone is saying that I need the seed sequence or to properly recover the seed, I ran Recuva to recover any possible deleted files that were crucial but with nothing to recover.

I am able to see that I didn't delete the seed or the seed hint or anything as far as lost files related to the reason behind the mystery in it all.

I am thinking that there is something I can do with the Load transaction menu item?
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 09:21:30 AM

Yes I have the words and everytime I restore it brings up a different wallet.

that's probably the issue.
can you reproduce this?

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 1560

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 02:08:47 AM

I have properly restored my wallet and it's running right now, but there are NO transactions in history and no BTC on balance. 

Previously you said you had restored the wallet 10 times from seed. So what makes it a "proper restore" this time?
zonts (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 01:55:29 PM

unless you can restore a wallet some other way than:

1. start up electrum

2. When it asks if you are creating a new wallet or restoring,  you pick "Restore wallet from seed" option.

3. type wallet seed words in correctly.

4. wait to connect wallet

or what am I missing?
Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 02:47:23 PM

unless you can restore a wallet some other way than:

1. start up electrum

2. When it asks if you are creating a new wallet or restoring,  you pick "Restore wallet from seed" option.

3. type wallet seed words in correctly.

4. wait to connect wallet

or what am I missing?

Yes that is how it is done. So again what makes you feel your latest attempt was a proper restore while your previous attempts were not? Do you see familiar addresses in your wallet?
zonts (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 09:44:41 AM

No... I don't see familiar addresses, & I get the same result no matter which "default_wallet" file I open, so im thinkin they're gone because I've restored the wallet with the only seed I have so if that's not it then I don't have it.
btcven

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2013, 10:59:44 PM

Oh my gox, are you still in this trouble?

Have you tried in a different computer yet?

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
zonts (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 06:47:44 AM

Oh my gox, are you still in this trouble.
ed a
Have you tried in a different computer yet?

Yes and here's where I am at, Firstly the coins are worth more now so I have no problem sending a little something to anyone who can help me get these back.

I have checked with LocalBTC.com and still no word from support or whatever but I have a hard time believing that something like that can happen so quickly and without any way to avoid it or prevent it from happening.  If that were the case then BTC would not be popular at all.   So here's what I have:

1.  The seed, the only one I have ever gotten.  I used it to restore the wallet I retrieved addresses from in order to do the transaction from localbtc.com to electrum so I know that I am restoring it right.

2.  I have every file that has ever been placed on my computer in relation to Electrum, including a default_wallet etc...

3.  I have the complete history of the transaction as shown in the wallet page on user accounts in "Wallet History" like the TxId , Contact #'s as well as the actual address the transaction went to.

What other options do I have, seeing as restoring the wallet from seed doesn't bring up the right wallet for some reason? Either that or the two addresses with BTC on them are for some reason absent.
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 07:53:59 AM
Last edit: December 05, 2013, 10:09:44 AM by flatfly

Try a restore again, typing your seed manually (no copy paste) separated by spaces, on a single line.

If that still fails, please post (or PM me) a screenshot of the result (not the seed).
btcven

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 11:58:16 AM

1.  The seed, the only one I have ever gotten.  I used it to restore the wallet I retrieved addresses from in order to do the transaction from localbtc.com to electrum so I know that I am restoring it right.

Try what flatfly've said. Try restoring with that seed in an older version of Electrum. You could also share the MPK with ThomasV to see if he can manage to figure out why you can't restore the real set of addresses you used in the first place.

What other options do I have, seeing as restoring the wallet from seed doesn't bring up the right wallet for some reason? Either that or the two addresses with BTC on them are for some reason absent.

Why don't you use the default_wallet file you have? Does it have the set of addresses you are trying to generate? Don't you remember the password or something?

Does the restoring process gives a different set of addresses each time, or only one unknown set of addresses, that repeats? Were the two addresses you sent bitcoins to one of the first 5 receiving addresses or the 3 first change addresses? Or did you used a new one, for example the 6th or 7th in the list created with a different gap limit?

Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 02:21:41 PM

Try what flatfly've said. Try restoring with that seed in an older version of Electrum.

Your thinking about the change in address generation algos, aren't you?

Zonts when you put the transaction id in blockchain.info's search bar do you see a transaction page with confirmations?
Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 12:20:32 PM

I tried restoring seeds from a 1.8 wallet to a 1.9 install and it worked fine. Also the reverse also works fine. So it looks like the OP copied the seed wrong.
luvbcs

Activity: 7

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 10:30:48 PM

I would swear I saw different behavior generating from seed between the full client and the portable one.  If you sent the coins to the addresses generated by the portable, I would try regenerating from seed with the portable version again and see what happens.
btcven

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 12:19:56 AM

I would swear I saw different behavior generating from seed between the full client and the portable one.  If you sent the coins to the addresses generated by the portable, I would try regenerating from seed with the portable version again and see what happens.

I've created a fresh wallet with the 1.9.5 installer, then run the 1.9.5 portable version and restore from that seed. The result is the same in both versions of the software. Still can't reproduce the problem you and others have mentioned.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: