Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:58:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Planning of accepting bitcoins in a brick&mortar canteen/restaurant  (Read 790 times)
chnch (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 11:05:01 AM

Hi everyone,

I am the operator of a restaurant/canteen in an office building of an IT company, at the countryside of Hungary. To increase sales/spread the bitcoin meme and for several other reasons i'd like to introduce bitcoin acceptance. I am looking for inputs and ideas how to make this (we have appr. 500 customers/day, with quite a que at the cash registers during the peak hours)
I need a solution which does not need huge investments, is quick and effective and scamproof (i mean the only solution whih comes in my mind to sell prepaid vouchers against bitcoin deposits at a preferred rate, in which case counterfeiting of our vouchers might be an issue.

All the inputs will be appreciated, hopefully there are already best practices or any first-hand experiences

Thanks in advance!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 4370

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 04:33:47 PM

ignoring the MTGOX value of bitcoin you could, using just one satoshi or even using something like infinity coin to validate someone has paid

for instance infinity coin is worth pennies. buy as a tally system purely for your office you could credit customers with 10inf coins into a paper wallet to represent Euro10 and have the QR code for each staff member so that they can easily re-use the same address to top up each week. and where you own the private key to remove the coin at the cashier desk.

this would be an easy to implement trial phase where you can use this as a way to test the system for how many customers adopt the quick pay system without the headaches of the actual bitcoin volatility.

once the system is in place and customers are introduced to this quick pay method, if it is a success, then you can look into the matter of the volatility as a customer could pay for Euro10 of actual bitcoins yesterday (0.01754) but is worth (0.01639) today

meaning a euro10 meal costs the customer today (0.01639) giving them (0.00115) to keep. or if the price dropped, there would not be enough on the key to cover the meal.

so first of all test if the idea of quickpay would catch on, before worrying about the risks of volitility

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 03:18:18 AM

Kudos, you are to be lauded for even considering this

More power to you

AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:32:13 PM

He said quick franky1, LOL. Cheesy

Best thing IMO, is to use it as a tab (like a bar tab).

People who want to pay in Bitcoin deposit with you $20-50 at a time as credit.

Then throughout the week, you deduct from their tab. This will prevent you from having to wait hours for confirmation.

chnch (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 09:24:35 AM

Yes, but if i want to introduce store credit i have to develop a brand new system to keep this accounts (identification, authorization). that's why i thought about vouchers, but this direction is too indirect, it's not a real bitcoin payment, its rather 'i'd buy your bitcoins against vouchers offer' which is not the goal.
My current idea is to develop a light web service, run on any mobile device in which the cashier types the to-be-paid grand total and outputs a QR code with the recipient's address and an amount to be paid using a pre-set exchange rate (set let's say daily, as long as bitcoin payments will be a small minority i give gladly this incentive). That can be scanned by the buyer and i have to trust them to really send bitcoins. After the daily closing it will turn out if someone's transaction didn't arrive, with nearly always the same customers (remember: this is a canteen of an office building with 99.9% returning guests) and video surveillance it won't be a problem to identify someone.
What do you think? Is it a feasible solution? Do you have any knowledge or info on how other providers (such as Subway restaurants) process bitcoin payments?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: