Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 11:55:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining in garage during winter months  (Read 900 times)
eternaluniverse (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 07:20:09 PM

So I live in canada, where during our winter months we will be around 5 degrees to -30 degrees, the garage should be around 5 degrees to negative 20 max. I am currently running USB Block Eurpters with a USB Hub and a Raspberry Pi. My question is, can i run this setup in the garage to save on cooling cost of running fan -- which means can the USB Block erupter function at -20 celcius and also the Raspberry Pi.

I am also thinking about purchasing a blade in the near future, would that be fine to run in the garage. I head about using things to prevent condensation by for instance throwing one of those drying packets in my box holding my equipment.

Also with the block erupter without a heatsink would a 0 celcius room be sufficient cooling?

Thanks for help in advance,

again sorry if this has been posted I am finding it difficult to find the information.
Green2bit

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:37:02 PM

Should be over kill IMHO.
WayTooGosu

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:45:28 PM

You should be alright, it's rather cold this Winter as well so no need to worry about overheating.
nexern

Activity: 597
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:58:16 PM

not better to heat the house?
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 10:52:42 PM

Well i guess they can't freeze up, can they?   Grin
rishrash

Activity: 16

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 11:21:51 PM

So I live in canada, where during our winter months we will be around 5 degrees to -30 degrees, the garage should be around 5 degrees to negative 20 max. I am currently running USB Block Eurpters with a USB Hub and a Raspberry Pi. My question is, can i run this setup in the garage to save on cooling cost of running fan -- which means can the USB Block erupter function at -20 celcius and also the Raspberry Pi.

I am also thinking about purchasing a blade in the near future, would that be fine to run in the garage. I head about using things to prevent condensation by for instance throwing one of those drying packets in my box holding my equipment.

Also with the block erupter without a heatsink would a 0 celcius room be sufficient cooling?

Thanks for help in advance,

again sorry if this has been posted I am finding it difficult to find the information.
I think it would make more sense to use the heat for the house.  The small savings from not using the fan wont be much.
Not sure everything will start if you leave them out there not running and then try to start them up.  If they are warm and then put outside they should be OK.

Good Luck!
teddy329

Activity: 19

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 11:37:16 PM

You can , but why don't get you home more warm for free?
fiddelingones

Activity: 127

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 11:58:50 PM

I head about using things to prevent condensation by for instance throwing one of those drying packets in my box holding my equipment.

Condensation is problem if you cool the chip more than the air temperature, so not your case.

Slacker v1

Activity: 1

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 12:09:48 AM

Actually man the manufacturer should have included some type of spec sheet with the products you have purchased. If the products were used, I would recommend going to the manufacturers web site and checking out the spec sheet. They often will explain what the ideal running temp. should be. If it is kosher to run the equipment in the garage in the frigid temperatures (not sure what the conversions are to Fahrenheit), then I recommend a product I have found in the states called "Damp Rid" We use it in the basement of our home and it seems to keep the condensation / humidity in a rather reasonable consistency. If this is a option, but not good enough you could also line the box in some sort of damp rid sheeting. I believe these would help you with any condensation issues.
Hampuz

Activity: 140

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 12:51:14 AM

Should be a no problemo solution!
eternaluniverse (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 01:17:47 AM

Thanks for responses guys.

When i run the USB Block erutpers without fan they get really hot, so hot that it burns my hands, which is really hard considering ive spent a few summers working in a restaurant (a real one not mcdonalds). So I wouldn't feel safe leaving it overnight as its gotten to in my opinion a dangerous level in about 2 hours. In regards to the garage, Ive found out the Raspberry Pi will run fine up untill -40 celcius except for the ethernet port which is only rated to run at 0celcius. However i plan on getting a usb wireless device so I wont be using the ethernet port. I couldnt find the safe temperature for USB Block erupters but i am under the impression it would be fine. My area will be not lower than -5 celcius this week so I will try it soon Ill post results and daily temperatures if any one else decides to do the same later on and wants to know how it would work.

From what I have read though, hardware cannot be damaged from low temperatures, it will just not function correctly possibly until it returns to a normal temperature.

Considering my Raspberry Pi and Erupters and Block Erupters run at 12.5 watts the 35watt fan is a lot of extra power I want would like to get rid off if possible.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3226

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 02:53:29 AM

You will still need a fan. Airflow is just as important as temperature. 35 watts for a fan? How big is the fan?

BTW, ASICs generate very little heat (although it is concentrated). You'll need at least 200 GH/s to heat a room.

Also, electronics work better at low temperatures, but very low temperatures can cause problems due to uneven expansion and increased brittleness.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
eternaluniverse (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 05:18:07 AM

lol i have a smaller fan thats 60 watts. I guess ill stick to inside and find a better wattage fan.
Itun

Activity: 238

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 05:36:14 AM

LOL

The weather will definitely cool them

Maybe up to the point of freezing them

Good luck mining!
eternaluniverse (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 06:58:18 AM

i was hoping to hear that someone had done this successfully but i guess that's probably for a reason.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: