Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:49:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 ... 163 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Setup & Troubleshoot] Bitmain AntMiner S1 180GH/S miner  (Read 452139 times)
jedimstr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 04:20:34 PM
Last edit: March 01, 2014, 04:34:08 PM by jedimstr

Some hair-pulling moments I thought I'd share Smiley
First, using vi editor to edit the asic_freq file is no fun. vi is really awkward. If you have never used it before, open a cheat sheet and familiarize yourself with it before trying to edit the configuration file.
http://www.lagmonster.org/docs/vi2.html

After changing the settings, one of the two blades seemed to go offline. I was hashing at half speed!
Panicking, I went back and restored the original settings in the asic_freq file.
Still hashing at half speed.
Long story short and after a lot of hair pulling and system reboots and powering off and then back on, I re-entered the overclocking settings and decided to try something weird.
I am using TWO PSUs because I did not want to splice and cut power cables and mess with the black and red connectors (so I am using only the two 6-pin PCI-e power connectors on the S1).
I switched PSUs! So the one connected to the non-responsive blade was now connected to the responsive one and vice versa.
Eureka!
Happily hashing at close to 200 GH/s!!

There are a few editors you can install if vi isn't your cup-o-tea.
Go to System/Software and look through the available packages.  
Nano is a popular one and may be more to your liking. That's what I've been using on my S1.

Edit: sorry btmtb, got beat to the same answer Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ITGeniusGuru

Activity: 264
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 04:30:18 PM

That's why I don't mess with multiple PSU's anymore...they may be a nominal solution however definitely not as trouble free as a single PSU.

Agreed! Not only trouble-free, but also less electricity cost!
I had two 400Watt PSU's lying around, so that was a faster cheaper solution than buying a new 600W PSU!
ITGeniusGuru

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 04:43:17 PM

Nano is a popular one and may be more to your liking. That's what I've been using on my S1.

Thanks for the tip. I am much more comfortable with nano, use it all the time on my raspberry Pi's.
 cd /
cd System
I get -ash: cd: can't cd to System

Where's that directory located?

Otherwise, can I install nano? Is there an equivalent to apt-get install ?
Or, "what the heck, just learn to use vi and stop whining"... said I to me.
(New to Linux, just feeling my way around!)
jedimstr

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 04:51:19 PM

Thanks for the tip. I am much more comfortable with nano, use it all the time on my raspberry Pi's.
 cd /
cd System
I get -ash: cd: can't cd to System

Where's that directory located?

Otherwise, can I install nano? Is there an equivalent to apt-get install ?
Or, "what the heck, just learn to use vi and stop whining"... said I to me.
(New to Linux, just feeling my way around!)

Not the commandline.  From the WebUI.  Go to the system/software tab in the WebUI and install the packages from there. 

jedimstr

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 04:56:21 PM

I see so many default skins in the screenshots here.  Am I the only one using the Bootstrap design Lua interface for the S1's WebUI instead of the default openWRT UI?

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, you can change the look and feel of the WebUI under
System/System/Language and Style and the Design: drop down.

Darthswan

Activity: 818
Merit: 508

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 05:09:02 PM

I see so many default skins in the screenshots here.  Am I the only one using the Bootstrap design Lua interface for the S1's WebUI instead of the default openWRT UI?

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, you can change the look and feel of the WebUI under

Didn't know about it, until you just mentioned it.  What does it look like?  Any screen shots of this?

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
freebit13

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 05:10:01 PM

at best the card is dead.  and not one of the boards.

I have 4 s-1's and no swapping   of cables or psu's gets that bottom light to come on.

I have to think the card is dead. I would prefer a complete and new machine ,

but if he ships me a controller/ethernet card I could swap it.  I have a lot of tools and parts.

I sent an email to sushi-review for help on this as it truly appears to be a dead part.

Problem with a new machine is 4-5 days at least missing mining while you send it back to get a return.  And you gotta pay to send it back, the faster you want them to get it the more it cost.  damn

well I will wait for a reply .  in the meantime I may go to this seller as he is usa based

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=377632.0

https://ninjatech.org/
I got a replacement card from Sushi and it only took 2 days to get here, but unfortunately you have a weekend in-between. They'll require a deposit before sending the replacement, but you'll get it back when returning the faulty card. You won't need any special tools if you need to just swap that card out, maybe just a small screwdriver to get the plastic holders out.

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
ITGeniusGuru

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 05:12:06 PM

Not the command line.  From the WebUI.  Go to the system/software tab in the WebUI and install the packages from there. 

Aha.. did that and nano was not listed under "Installed Packages"
So, I entered "nano" in the box "Download and Install Package"

B I N G O ! !
And I verified it's available and working from the command line.

We are both geniuses!!  Wink Grin
pjviitas

Activity: 434

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 05:17:31 PM

I have 4 s-1's and no swapping   of cables or psu's gets that bottom light to come on.

but if he ships me a controller/ethernet card I could swap it.  I have a lot of tools and parts.

I sent an email to sushi-review for help on this as it truly appears to be a dead part.

Problem with a new machine is 4-5 days at least missing mining while you send it back to get a return.  And you gotta pay to send it back, the faster you want them to get it the more it cost.  damn

well I will wait for a reply .  in the meantime I may go to this seller as he is usa based

https://ninjatech.org/
I got a replacement card from Sushi and it only took 2 days to get here, but unfortunately you have a weekend in-between. They'll require a deposit before sending the replacement, but you'll get it back when returning the faulty card. You won't need any special tools if you need to just swap that card out, maybe just a small screwdriver to get the plastic holders out.

Personally I would just order another miner while working on this one...you are gonna be buying another miner within a month or 2 anyway...the sooner the better I say.
jedimstr

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 05:20:52 PM
Last edit: March 01, 2014, 05:31:22 PM by jedimstr

I see so many default skins in the screenshots here.  Am I the only one using the Bootstrap design Lua interface for the S1's WebUI instead of the default openWRT UI?

Didn't know about it, until you just mentioned it.  What does it look like?  Any screen shots of this?

Here...

It has as much effect on hashrate as a pinstripe on a car, but I do like this interface better.

microx

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 06:27:32 PM

No, that doesn't sound like a converter cable. I want to convert my 8 pin CPU cable to 6 pin PCI-E, so I can plug it directly into the PCI-E connector on the board.

The extension cables are for CPU, where the 12V lines are on the same side as the clip and are yellow too, so the polarity was not wrong.
But when I stripped the cable at the end to go into the connector the wires inside looked really thin and flimsy. The markings on the cable says 18AWG and 80 degrees, but I have a 18AWG cable and the wire inside is really think compared to these.

Yeah, Do not use those.  You got ripped off  by One Hung Lo  mfg co.  I had bought some PCI extender cables, when I stripped it there were ONLY 5 TINY STRANDS of copper inside the wired labeled 18AWG! They  were more like 26AWG.  I took them back to microcenter and finally got my money back after making a stink of the safety hazard these posed.  Dont go cheap on extender cables, sadly, you cannot trust those off brands, they can burn your house down.   Maybe Cablez can make some for you?

I will definitely return them, but I need to act quick as my miners are idle.
I can make them myself, but I am looking for a ready made solution, that I can just buy quick.
Any ideas?

CYPER..
I just saw your posts, and I had the same issue you have with the VS650; using PCIE for one blade, and needed to use the ATX12V 8-pin connector. And I also got those fake "18 AWG" extensions, which when I stripped them had just a few strands, so I luckily refrained from using them.

The way I solved it is a little unorthodox, but it worked. I just FORCED the 8-pin connector into the Antminer's PCIE 6-pin connector the "wrong" way around, i.e. with the correct polarity (yellow wires inside, clip over the edge of the board), with the 2 extra pins just hanging outside the connector. It worked well for a while, and no wires overheating or anything.

However, a few days later, I started finding that the PSU would shut off while I'm away. It seems PSU is not happy with either the large current or large power. When I notched down the Antminer's speed to 300 MHz instead of 350 MHz, it now seems to be stable. Seems like the PSU is just really crappy and not really supplying the 600W it claims it can on 12V.

I'm thinking of using more 12V wires from the PSU, from other cables (SATA, 4-pin Molex, and the main motherboard connector), and screw them into the screw connectors on the Antminer, so the power for each blade would be spread across 6 wires instead of just 3. Has anyone tried something like this? Would this make any difference to the PSU's shut-off protection circuit?

Also, I've read that in some cases, if there is no load on the 5V lines, then the voltage drops further on the 12V triggering the shut-off. Could this be the case here?

Darthswan

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 06:39:54 PM

I see so many default skins in the screenshots here.  Am I the only one using the Bootstrap design Lua interface for the S1's WebUI instead of the default openWRT UI?

Didn't know about it, until you just mentioned it.  What does it look like?  Any screen shots of this?

Here...

It has as much effect on hashrate as a pinstripe on a car, but I do like this interface better.

LOL @ pinstripe.  Might have to add a pinstripe to my miner.  Thanks for images.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
freddyfarnsworth

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 09:15:44 PM

really sucks as each day I lose about  .024 btc.

So far about 1 day fri to sat.  if he sends me a part and I get it on tue. or weds.

I lose  4 or 5 days at .024 btc a day that is around .1 to .120 btc.

I will await an answer.  right now bitmain has them for 1.37

and of course this thread opens

If you are using the cable port, why is the wireless antenna hooked up ?
These wireless ? that sucks, wireless is anything except stable.
I wanna buy one of these, time to learn about em ..eh  good luck.

BTC: 1F1X9dN2PRortYaDkq89YJDbQ72i3F5N3h MEOW: KAbvy9jrrajvN5WLo7RWBsYqYfJKyN9WLf DOGE: DAyKSrTiVeRZaReTu1Cyf5Je6qPdKTuKKE
Darthswan

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 10:40:54 PM

Any update on the firmware update?  Miner shutting loosing internet connection, then it regains it.  Since mine are downstairs, i have to use my iPhone app to keep an eye on it.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
CYPER

Merit: 502

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 10:46:31 PM

No, that doesn't sound like a converter cable. I want to convert my 8 pin CPU cable to 6 pin PCI-E, so I can plug it directly into the PCI-E connector on the board.

The extension cables are for CPU, where the 12V lines are on the same side as the clip and are yellow too, so the polarity was not wrong.
But when I stripped the cable at the end to go into the connector the wires inside looked really thin and flimsy. The markings on the cable says 18AWG and 80 degrees, but I have a 18AWG cable and the wire inside is really think compared to these.

Yeah, Do not use those.  You got ripped off  by One Hung Lo  mfg co.  I had bought some PCI extender cables, when I stripped it there were ONLY 5 TINY STRANDS of copper inside the wired labeled 18AWG! They  were more like 26AWG.  I took them back to microcenter and finally got my money back after making a stink of the safety hazard these posed.  Dont go cheap on extender cables, sadly, you cannot trust those off brands, they can burn your house down.   Maybe Cablez can make some for you?

I will definitely return them, but I need to act quick as my miners are idle.
I can make them myself, but I am looking for a ready made solution, that I can just buy quick.
Any ideas?

CYPER..
I just saw your posts, and I had the same issue you have with the VS650; using PCIE for one blade, and needed to use the ATX12V 8-pin connector. And I also got those fake "18 AWG" extensions, which when I stripped them had just a few strands, so I luckily refrained from using them.

The way I solved it is a little unorthodox, but it worked. I just FORCED the 8-pin connector into the Antminer's PCIE 6-pin connector the "wrong" way around, i.e. with the correct polarity (yellow wires inside, clip over the edge of the board), with the 2 extra pins just hanging outside the connector. It worked well for a while, and no wires overheating or anything.

However, a few days later, I started finding that the PSU would shut off while I'm away. It seems PSU is not happy with either the large current or large power. When I notched down the Antminer's speed to 300 MHz instead of 350 MHz, it now seems to be stable. Seems like the PSU is just really crappy and not really supplying the 600W it claims it can on 12V.

I'm thinking of using more 12V wires from the PSU, from other cables (SATA, 4-pin Molex, and the main motherboard connector), and screw them into the screw connectors on the Antminer, so the power for each blade would be spread across 6 wires instead of just 3. Has anyone tried something like this? Would this make any difference to the PSU's shut-off protection circuit?

Also, I've read that in some cases, if there is no load on the 5V lines, then the voltage drops further on the 12V triggering the shut-off. Could this be the case here?

With CX600M I just used the single PCI-E cable at stock for both blades.
For overclocking one blade was using the PCI-E cable and for the other I just cut and stripped the CPU cable = 4x 12V lines is more than enough for a single overclocked blade.
I've done the forced plugging with my Jupiter on CoolerMaster V1000 where I plugged more PCI-E cables into the CPU ports on the back of the PSU, but never tried it with the Ant.
navigator

Activity: 362

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 10:51:14 PM

On my cx600m, I'm using one of the pcie plugs, and a molex to pcie that came with a gpu for the other plug. Overclocked and the wires dont even get warm.
pepto

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 11:03:04 PM

got my third and fourth machines today one works fine the other seems to have a dead ethernet card. any info on trouble shooting it, thanks

yeah fairly desperate .

Dead or Malfunctioning?

I just received my second two and they set up ok but next morning one had 8 X's (reboots got it to 1) and  then login issues with the ant and putty.

I followed these steps precisely again and again and never in the same order:
Turn the power supply off and on
Fiddle with the jumper on the 24 pin plug
Hot reinsert the power connectors and jiggle to ensure good contact
Reinsert the ethernet cable and jiggle.
Push the reset button for 4 seconds while everything is on.
Push the reset button for 20 seconds while everything is off.
Shut down and swap power connectors
Push and Jiggle data connectors
Learn a new kind of patience. I gave up and walked away, minutes later the thing sprang to life.
Its now clocked at 400 and no X's or overheat.
Go figure Cheesy
thebeesknees

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 11:03:44 PM

I'm having a bit of an odd problem.  I have setup 11 of them without any issue but I have one that is giving me all kinds of problems.  It connects to the factory default pool fine but when I try to connect it to my pools it won't connect to any of them.  If I leave a factory pool as pool 0 and fill mine in at pool 1 and 2 it says 1 and 2 are dead.  I have all of my other miners mining just fine on those pools so I don't believe they're down.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
bjornsni

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 11:25:59 PM

got one on the last batch that i cant get into. lan port lights up, but the side lights on the boards do not.

thoughts?

+1 fjordbit +1 fefox +1 tgmarks
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 11:56:50 PM

got one on the last batch that i cant get into. lan port lights up, but the side lights on the boards do not.

thoughts?

Judging from my experience and from what I can tell, the side lights start flickering when the miner is actually mining.

Check your network settings.

Remember, most Ants from the latest batch come with an IP: 192.168.2.xx

Notice, it's 2 now not 1.

Pages: « 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 ... 163 »
  Print  

Jump to: