Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:35:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: (SSS) - A Sane and Simple bitcoin Savings plan  (Read 84883 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:12:38 PM

De-raking

If the goal is to maintain 80% of your portfolio in Bitcoin, what do you do when the price falls a lot (for a non-catastrophic reason)? If you had $80,000 in BTC and $20,000 in fiat, then the price halved, you'd now have $40,000 in BTC and it'd only be about 67% of your portfolio. Wouldn't you want to buy back enough BTC to bring the ratio back to 80/20?

Obviously there are limits to how low you'd go with this, but does this have any use or does even any rebalancing on price dips ruin the whole point of the rake/hedge?

Zang: I'm usually a big fan of your posts, but I think your de-racking idea is extremely dangerous.  The whole idea of the rake is to allow you to enjoy the run-up, recover you initial investment, and emotionally detach from the bitcoins you are "letting ride."

I maintained a Zen-like calmness through this crash, I think in large part due to the SSS.  By now I have raked* an amount roughly equal to my initial investment, and for some reason when the price rallies or crashes the dollars gained or lost seem ephemeral.

That being said, since I still earn a wage, I take 10% of the extra money I have from each pay cheque for "savings" and put this into bitcoins.  This amount is now trivial compared to my long-term holdings, but I see it as a low-risk vote of confidence in the bitcoin economy.  

*The best way to rake, if possible, is to purchase things directly with your bitcoins.

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:21:44 PM

To make any significant benefit of de-raking, one or both of the following have to happen:

- Big enough rake-% to give access to more funds
- Big enough de-rake-% to give enough leverage in dips.

First of them makes a terrible cut in your EV in the long run.
Second is dangerous in final loss.

My gut tells that you should just keep all rakes and enjoy life.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:26:37 PM

+1

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:37:01 PM

To make any significant benefit of de-raking, one or both of the following have to happen:

- Big enough rake-% to give access to more funds
- Big enough de-rake-% to give enough leverage in dips.

First of them makes a terrible cut in your EV in the long run.
Second is dangerous in final loss.

Yeah, that's probably wisest. Like most investment decisions, it really just requires the will to see it through regardless of how the investment plays out vs the expectations.

EdsWow1

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 07:06:08 PM

Fantastic thread .... thank you !!

Donations (btc): 1GPKvRoY8HopqGgTLAFfJxhtTRYp89Yauj ♥♥♥ THX - Muchas Gracias - Dankeschön - Merci - Cпacибo! - धन्यवाद! - شكرا - 谢谢 ♥♥♥
CMMPro

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 02:41:31 AM

De-raking

If the goal is to maintain 80% of your portfolio in Bitcoin, what do you do when the price falls a lot (for a non-catastrophic reason)? If you had $80,000 in BTC and $20,000 in fiat, then the price halved, you'd now have $40,000 in BTC and it'd only be about 67% of your portfolio. Wouldn't you want to buy back enough BTC to bring the ratio back to 80/20?

Obviously there are limits to how low you'd go with this, but does this have any use or does even any rebalancing on price dips ruin the whole point of the rake/hedge?

Zang: I'm usually a big fan of your posts, but I think your de-racking idea is extremely dangerous.  The whole idea of the rake is to allow you to enjoy the run-up, recover you initial investment, and emotionally detach from the bitcoins you are "letting ride."

I maintained a Zen-like calmness through this crash, I think in large part due to the SSS.  By now I have raked* an amount roughly equal to my initial investment, and for some reason when the price rallies or crashes the dollars gained or lost seem ephemeral.

That being said, since I still earn a wage, I take 10% of the extra money I have from each pay cheque for "savings" and put this into bitcoins.  This amount is now trivial compared to my long-term holdings, but I see it as a low-risk vote of confidence in the bitcoin economy.  

*The best way to rake, if possible, is to purchase things directly with your bitcoins.

Funny, I feel exactly the same way.
I've raked enough to be playing with "found money" now and the emotion is almost completely gone.

The crash in April was gut wrenching to me...too much emotion.
This correction...meh.

macsga
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 02:44:39 PM

Funny, I feel exactly the same way.
I've raked enough to be playing with "found money" now and the emotion is almost completely gone.

The crash in April was gut wrenching to me...too much emotion.
This correction...meh.

I never got into the trading concept in both times and I'm just grabbing my popcorn. When you're risk free; you're alright. Wink

Chaos could be a form of intelligence we cannot yet understand its complexity.
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:32:19 AM

Thanks for the input, gents.

I was thinking the goal was to maintain 80/20 ratio, but actually it should be to bring your holdings to this ratio on the way up, but not on the way down.

Anything else is getting into trading and should be left to advanced traders, or perhaps with a very small percentage just for fun.
Kramerc

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 10:56:45 AM

Thank you a lot for this piece of advice and for this thread.

For a 1 week bitcoin novice who is trying to get as much information on bitcoin as possible, and who is looking to invest as soon as my accounts get validated, this strategy is heaven sent.
kdrop22

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 04:47:11 PM

Anything else is getting into trading and should be left to advanced traders, or perhaps with a very small percentage just for fun.

I agree as long as, like you said, it is a very small percentage.  I was actually trading during the crash with a very small %.  I lost Sad but still it gave me the sweet comfort of the illusion of control.
I trade with 2% of my holdings as well. Helps relieve the urge to buy/sell something.
d9000

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 05:16:25 AM

Excellent thread - thanks!!

I hacked together a quick Google Docs spreadsheet to play with the numbers for my own uses, and I'm in the process of creating a small website with an SSS-style calculator on it.

I'll keep you posted when it's up.
xDan

Activity: 688

ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 12:30:42 PM

I hacked together a quick Google Docs spreadsheet to play with the numbers for my own uses, and I'm in the process of creating a small website with an SSS-style calculator on it.

Did you see this,or is it not SSS-like enough for your tastes? Tongue
http://xzist.org/amazing-bitcoin-retirement-fund-calculator/

You're welcome to re-use the source.

HODLing for the longest time. Skippin fast right around the moon. On a rocketship straight to mars.
Up, up and away with my beautiful, my beautiful Bitcoin~
d9000

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 02:13:24 PM

No, I had not seen that one!  That's what I get for skimming though page 4.  Nice work, I like playing with the delayed gains option.

Anyway, the one I was working on is done now too: http://bitcoinsavingsplan.com/

Comments/criticisms/error checking welcomed  Smiley

SlipperySlope

Activity: 686
Merit: 501

Stephen Reed

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 06:21:57 PM

No, I had not seen that one!  That's what I get for skimming though page 4.  Nice work, I like playing with the delayed gains option.

Anyway, the one I was working on is done now too: http://bitcoinsavingsplan.com/

Works for me! I too would like to see a delayed gains option on your inspiring SSS calculator.
xDan

Activity: 688

ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 10:46:59 PM

oooh, yours is prettier Cheesy

nice

HODLing for the longest time. Skippin fast right around the moon. On a rocketship straight to mars.
Up, up and away with my beautiful, my beautiful Bitcoin~
toddfletcher

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 03:23:23 PM

Nice thanks for your work! I do miss the fields for "$$ if you bailed now" & "$$ if you had held all" from http://xzist.org/amazing-bitcoin-retirement-fund-calculator.

bitrider

Activity: 233
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 03:45:59 PM

Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing it.

If you are interested in adding an additional feature, I would suggest that the "doubling" and rake be more fully variable. For example I will likely be using a more continuous withdrawal plan such that I sell 1% of BTC at each 10% increase in ATH. I'd ideally like to play with these variables as well. I am able to do that on at least one of the other calculators posted in this thread.
d9000

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 03:28:01 AM

oooh, yours is prettier Cheesy

nice

Nah, it was just bootstrap.js that did most of the skinning on the UI.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll look into adding those features.
Kramerc

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 08:49:01 AM

Thank you! Already bookmarked and going to have some fun with it later!
yenom

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 01:39:49 PM

Wow what an awesome tool! Thanks! I know this is only cosmetic but could you allow an option to change the currency symbol?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: