Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:42:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I do anything about this? Scammed  (Read 2658 times)
Triton (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 05:01:58 PM

Hi,

A member of this forum scammed me into paying money to buy LTC from him. then he went AWOL. I paid thru Paypal but as a gift (as per his request) afterwards he disappeared.

I contacted Paypal and my credit card company to no avail. If you know how to solve please help.

Thanks in advance!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 05:05:51 PM

Paypal should be able to reverse the transaction, even if it is a gift. You do stand the chance of having both your and their Paypal accounts frozen though, as buying/selling cryptos using Paypal is against their TOS, and something they prosecute heavily.
Triton (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 05:13:35 PM

Paypal should be able to reverse the transaction, even if it is a gift. You do stand the chance of having both your and their Paypal accounts frozen though, as buying/selling cryptos using Paypal is against their TOS, and something they prosecute heavily.

Shyte. I had no idea it was against their TOS. I called them and they said there was nothing they could do about it since it wasn't covered in their "insurance". Also, they said they wouldn't do anything unless more people report his scams to them...
dominicwin

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 06:13:09 PM

Typically if you paid by PayPal you can get it reversed no matter what. Also typically why no one accepts PayPal except from verified trusted accounts.

CUBAN CIGARS for Sale - Full Boxes and Individual Cigars https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=299151.0
Austrian GOLD 1oz PHILHARMONICS -  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=330401.0
BUYING BTC HERE https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=334920.0
Triton (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 06:17:18 PM

Typically if you paid by PayPal you can get it reversed no matter what. Also typically why no one accepts PayPal except from verified trusted accounts.

Yes, but I paid as a gift not as a good or service. PayPal representatives say they dont cover that.

If they indeed do cover it, how should I proceed?
dominicwin

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 06:23:55 PM

Yes, but I paid as a gift not as a good or service. PayPal representatives say they dont cover that.

Open a dispute with your credit card company which isn't difficult or you could open up a dispute simply stating you purchased bitcoin currency and didn't receive it. Though likely consider your account closed after that.

And for future reference, use someone trusted on this forum or an escrow service.

CUBAN CIGARS for Sale - Full Boxes and Individual Cigars https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=299151.0
Austrian GOLD 1oz PHILHARMONICS -  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=330401.0
Triton (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 02:44:57 AM

Open a dispute with your credit card company which isn't difficult or you could open up a dispute simply stating you purchased bitcoin currency and didn't receive it. Though likely consider your account closed after that.

And for future reference, use someone trusted on this forum or an escrow service.

I can't open a dispute with paypal because when I try to Paypal's system says "We're sorry, but this transaction cannot be disputed because it is not a purchase of goods or services. Please contact the recipient directly." I've called them and they said the same thing.

Also, my credit card said that once the seller gets the money, it's their decision whether to return it or not.
dominicwin

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 02:54:24 AM

I can't open a dispute with paypal because when I try to Paypal's system says "We're sorry, but this transaction cannot be disputed because it is not a purchase of goods or services. Please contact the recipient directly." I've called them and they said the same thing.

Also, my credit card said that once the seller gets the money, it's their decision whether to return it or not.

What kind of credit card did you use? That's a first that you couldn't dispute a card transaction.

Triton (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 03:22:28 AM

What kind of credit card did you use? That's a first that you couldn't dispute a card transaction.

I'm based in Hong Kong. The credit card is from a subsidiary of HSBC. It's a big bank in HK.
dominicwin

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 03:57:25 AM

I'm based in Hong Kong. The credit card is from a subsidiary of HSBC. It's a big bank in HK.

I see. Well every credit card I have ever used had an ability to dispute or file a chargeback.

Triton (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 04:26:23 AM

I see. Well every credit card I have ever used had an ability to dispute or file a chargeback.

Yes....Anyone know of another way? Maybe through Paypal cause they say they can't refund for gifts.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 04:30:54 AM

Triton,

How much?
Triton (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 05:23:56 AM

Triton,

How much?

350USD
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 05:47:07 AM

A gift payment has no TOS and is fully reversible. Call pay pal and tell them you want your gift back. You don't even have to give them a reason. And if thy say no call back until someone says ok. Many of the paypal phone reps have no idea of the TOS. You could call three time and get three different answers. Button line gifts are fully reversible no questions asked.

(Are you sure you can't just go into you account the payment??)
Triton (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 11:39:48 AM

A gift payment has no TOS and is fully reversible. Call pay pal and tell them you want your gift back. You don't even have to give them a reason. And if thy say no call back until someone says ok. Many of the paypal phone reps have no idea of the TOS. You could call three time and get three different answers. Button line gifts are fully reversible no questions asked.

Do you have a link or text which says that that gift payment is not in the TOS and is fully reversible? Because it would help when I call them and cite it to them...

(
Are you sure you can't just go into you account the payment??

Do you mean "Are you sure you can't just go into your account and dispute/reverse the payment?"

If so, then yes. I've gone into my account and tried to dispute it but their system says "We're sorry, but this transaction cannot be disputed because it is not a purchase of goods or services. Please contact the recipient directly."
AuroraHF

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 11:46:44 AM

All you need to do is to charge back via Unauthorized Transaction. If you want me to help you, PM me!

lmao
Triton (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 12:01:11 PM

Hey Aurora,

But I called and emailed Paypal that i sent it as a gift. Paypal told me to email them a statement and sent evidence.
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 03:25:31 PM

Tough lesson, mate

Trust but take precautions

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: