Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:11:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum timestamp of TX vs. Blockchain.info timestamp  (Read 150 times)
.crypto (OP)

Activity: 134
Merit: 14

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 04:15:37 PM

Sorry, already asked this question in the German section of this forum but didn't get any replies.

When I check a transaction in Electrum and i compare the data with blockchain.info I see that there is a different timestamp. The transaction in Electrum seems to have happened later in time and on blockchain.info it seemed to have happened earlier.

What is the reason for this?

Could it be that blockchain.info registers a transaction when it first appeared on the network (with 0 confirmations) and Electrum registers a transaction after 6 confirmations?

For me this is important due to tax regulations in my country  Roll Eyes
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Xynerise

Activity: 322
Merit: 363

39twH4PSYgDSzU7sLnRoDfthR6gWYrrPoD

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 04:24:59 PM

The real transaction timestamp is the timestamp of the block it was included in; that's literally the point of the blockchain: transaction ordering.
Using the time the node received the transaction makes no sense as different nodes receive different txs at different times, also, there is no guarantee that they'll ever be included in a block.
 However, the block timestamp is absolute.
Ayanamirs

Activity: 137
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 05:57:59 PM

Blockchain.info don't understand bech32(bc1) address.

You should change to a better block explorer such as https://www.oxt.me/

Try this and come back here.

btw, taxation is theft
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 06:04:27 PM

FYI timestamp in the block can be +/- 2 hours!

Are you sure tax regulations require such a high level of accuracy?
.crypto (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 08:03:27 PM

You should change to a better block explorer such as https://www.oxt.me/
Thank you for that link! The timestamp of Electrum and OXT.me is identical!   Smiley

btw, taxation is theft
I agree.  Undecided
.crypto (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 08:14:25 PM

Are you sure tax regulations require such a high level of accuracy?
Thank you for your feedback. In Germany, if you sell a bitcoin you owned for > 1 year, there is no tax. So I have to prove to the internal revenue that I owned it for more than a year. My plan was to send them a link to a block explorer so they can find out for themselves, but if there are variations on the time stamp of the transaction I have to explain why. Just want to be prepared.
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 11:56:04 PM

When I check a transaction in Electrum and i compare the data with blockchain.info I see that there is a different timestamp. The transaction in Electrum seems to have happened later in time and on blockchain.info it seemed to have happened earlier.
---snip---
Could it be that blockchain.info registers a transaction when it first appeared on the network (with 0 confirmations) and Electrum registers a transaction after 6 confirmations?
Received Time      2018-05-06 23:20:30
Included In Blocks   521531 ( 2018-05-06 23:21:37 + 1 minutes )
above is taken from one of transactions included in block #521531 displayed by blockchain.info
when you look for actual transaction time, you should look at the "Included In Blocks" time which essentially is block timestamp
the "Received Time" is when the transaction was received/seen first time on the network for historical data

most explorers show block timestamp in UTC time, a few automatically convert it to local time of the viewers
that "+/- 2 hours" is an offset from node-local UTC and not simply local time zone
people might misunderstood the offset time without reading more info on that link Wink

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 11:41:04 AM

most explorers show block timestamp in UTC time, a few automatically convert it to local time of the viewers
that "+/- 2 hours" is an offset from node-local UTC and not simply local time zone
people might misunderstood the offset time without reading more info on that link Wink

It's not about timezones or block explorers. The bitcoin protocol doesn't care to ensure the accuracy of timestamps outside of a 2 hour range. Your clock can be off by that much and you can still mine bitcoin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: