Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:12:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 2455 2456 2457 2458 2459 2460 2461 2462 2463 2464 2465 2466 2467 2468 2469 2470 2471 2472 2473 2474 2475 2476 2477 2478 2479 2480 2481 2482 2483 2484 2485 2486 2487 2488 2489 2490 2491 2492 2493 2494 2495 2496 2497 2498 2499 2500 2501 2502 2503 2504 [2505] 2506 2507 2508 2509 2510 2511 2512 2513 2514 2515 2516 2517 2518 2519 2520 2521 2522 2523 2524 2525 2526 2527 2528 2529 2530 2531 2532 2533 2534 2535 2536 2537 2538 2539 2540 2541 2542 2543 2544 2545 2546 2547 2548 2549 2550 2551 2552 2553 2554 2555 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761526 times)
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 03:30:41 PM

No password = no account number. How is that not simple in software?

If john smith for instance uses his name as his password(not smart) the chances that someone else has used that password increases exponentially with adoption, but the software won't warn the 37th john smith of that and will merrily send john smith(#1) all of the other john smith's coins. Correct?

This system sucks. If this basic stuff hasn't been worked out in april of 2014 then these programmers are knuckleheads and everyone should abandon ship.

Just follow the security advise on the site. It clearly says 30 digits password.

Noone was able to lose his coins in a way like you. It is your fault for not double checking if you entered the right password..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Evil-Knievel
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1168

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:31:51 PM

If john smith for instance uses his name as his password(not smart) the chances that someone else has used that password increases exponentially with adoption, but the software won't warn the 37th john smith of that and will merrily send john smith(#1) all of the other john smith's coins. Correct?

This system sucks. If this basic stuff hasn't been worked out in april of 2014 then these programmers are knuckleheads and everyone should abandon ship. That should've been found and weeded out last year.

But it is not "no password", it's more an "empty password" as so still a "password".
solarion

Activity: 966
Merit: 513

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:32:05 PM

This system sucks. If this basic stuff hasn't been worked out in april of 2014 then these programmers are knuckleheads and everyone should abandon ship.

Just follow the security advise on the site. It clearly says 30 digits password.

Noone was able to lose his coins in a way like you. It is your fault for not double checking if you entered the right password..

Fine, I'm stupid. Can we move on now?

WHY DOES THE SOFTWARE SHOW AN ACCOUNT NUMBER THAT BELONGS TO SOMEONE ELSE?!?
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:33:00 PM

Because you entered a passcode that belongs to someone else.  In this case, you didn't enter a password and the account # that was shown was associated with that account.  When you open a Nxt wallet you have a passcode that generates your Account #.  Why wouldn't you write down your Account # and verify before sending Nxt?
solarion

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:33:06 PM

Don't think I'm getting through to you guys. This system as it stands will not work for mass adoption. There are people far far dumber than me that will try this software.
solarion

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:33:41 PM

Because you entered a passcode that belongs to someone else.

That will happen thousands of times over globally. Think man. There needs to be more safeguards than a simple password.
solarion

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:35:21 PM

happy to be on it if you're so blind that you cannot see the problem with this. If you ask 10k people to set up an account what number of them will use no password or their first name as a password? The silly software will then merrily send their coins to someone else.

Don't get emotionally involved with your coin choice.
Daedelus

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:36:36 PM

That will happen thousands of times over globally. Think man. There needs to be more safeguards than a simple password.

Not if they follow the advice.
Evil-Knievel
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1168

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:36:54 PM

happy to be on it if you're so blind that you cannot see the problem with this.

The "problem" is also present in bitcoin. If you create a brainwallet with a weak "password" your coins will be gone as well.
msin
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:37:56 PM

For some reason you didn't record your account #.  If you are sending money via Paypal to an email address, do you verify the email address before sending?  When you are writing a check, do you verify the name of the person you are writing the check to before mailing it?  I'm not sure why you didn't record your Account # and verify it before sending Nxt.  
solarion

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:38:06 PM

People constantly ignore advice. Cholesterol is bad, but people still eat french fries.
solarion

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:39:13 PM

For some reason you didn't record your account #.  If you are sending money via Paypal to an email address, do you verify the email address before sending?  When you are writing a check, do you verify the name of the person you are writing the check to before mailing it?  I'm not sure why you didn't record your Account # and verify it before sending Nxt.  

I DID VERIFY IT. Someone else's account number is *STILL* on my screen and it *STILL* matches the one cryptsy sent to.
solarion

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:40:36 PM

I give up. Cognitive dissonance is a powerful thing.

I wasn't happy with the premine scammy disbursement of this thing anyway, just wanted to give it a fair shake. I feel like I have given it that and been sorely disappointed.

Whoever got my coins, please enjoy them.
Daedelus

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:41:07 PM

People constantly ignore advice. Cholesterol is bad, but people still eat french fries.

And then live with the consequences.  I.e your coins *will* be stolen.

That's good advice
msin
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:41:19 PM

I DID VERIFY IT. Someone else's account number is *STILL* on my screen and it *STILL* matches the one cryptsy sent to.

How much Nxt did you lose?
Eadeqa

Activity: 644

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:41:51 PM

happy to be on it if you're so blind that you cannot see the problem with this.

I actually agree with you. The built-in client can be confusing for people used to bitcoin and the it's clones. People don't read the dialog box at the login. You probably just hit entered without entering any passphrase. That client (which was supposed to be temporary) lasted way too long. It's sceduled to be replaced with this one in near future

http://nxtra.org/nxt-wallet/

Try that one and it won't let you make that mistake easily, as it will create the pass phrase for you.

Nomi, Shan, Adnan, Noshi, Nxt, Adn Khn
NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
https://github.com/Lafihh/encryptiontest
solarion

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:42:01 PM

1593 or 1592 less the nonsensical minimum transaction fee.
Daedelus

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:42:43 PM

You either entered a 6 word pass or no password.

Which is it?
msin
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:43:57 PM

1593 or 1592 less the nonsensical minimum transaction fee.

PM me your Nxt account # associated with YOUR password and I'll send you 1593 later, I think you should at least stick around so you can try Asset Exchange and some other really neat features being released soon.
Eadeqa

Activity: 644

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:46:00 PM

It's not someone's else account. It's an account for "null" password.  If I hit enter without entering a pass phrase, I get the same account number 3791936988034107349

Nxt is a brain wallet.  

Private key = Sha256 (password)

Nomi, Shan, Adnan, Noshi, Nxt, Adn Khn
NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
https://github.com/Lafihh/encryptiontest
Pages: « 1 ... 2455 2456 2457 2458 2459 2460 2461 2462 2463 2464 2465 2466 2467 2468 2469 2470 2471 2472 2473 2474 2475 2476 2477 2478 2479 2480 2481 2482 2483 2484 2485 2486 2487 2488 2489 2490 2491 2492 2493 2494 2495 2496 2497 2498 2499 2500 2501 2502 2503 2504 [2505] 2506 2507 2508 2509 2510 2511 2512 2513 2514 2515 2516 2517 2518 2519 2520 2521 2522 2523 2524 2525 2526 2527 2528 2529 2530 2531 2532 2533 2534 2535 2536 2537 2538 2539 2540 2541 2542 2543 2544 2545 2546 2547 2548 2549 2550 2551 2552 2553 2554 2555 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: