Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:48:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 [160] 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761525 times)
wezelvis

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:11:12 AM

Now time for bad news.

BCNext is becoming more and more angry coz of stakeholders who don't help Nxt. They don't run their nodes, they don't support bounties, they don't take part in Nxt promotion. He can't force them to do all these things but he can quit this project and join other cryptocoin, no matter if it's called ClonedNxt, and contribute his ideas and code to a competitor of Nxt...

My personal opinion: This guy doesn't care about money nor how much 1 NXT will be worth, I'm 100% sure he will do what he said. I think that Nxt clone will have the same problems and decision to quit Nxt would be one of the worst decisions, but he has his own opinion.
Edit: If stakeholders don't change situation they should sell their coins before price drops below ZERO.

03/Jan/2014 is a very good day for the launch.  Exactly 5 years after the launch of Bitcoin.  The genesis block and software will be published much earlier so the community will have enough time to check and test everything.

Tell me the IP of your server, please.

The problem is BCNext didn't stick to his original plan. He got spooked by eMunie and jumped too early before a sufficient number of people had contributed to the genesis block. The client wasn't ready for launch either. It looks like BCNext regrets the launch date decision now, but complaining about the actions of the people who did take a gamble on NXT seems very immature and counter productive.

eMunie will succeed because its founder has patience enough to launch when he knows his product is ready. With eMunie it's quality and professionalism all the way, and that's why eMunie will be a huge success when it is launched.

Nxt has been pretty successful so far, so I'm not sure what the problem is anyway. Patience man! It's still early days, but you have damaged NXT with your threats and dramatic antics.

I have a much larger stake in NXT than I ever imagined, but that's because BCNext launched nearly 6 weeks early with too few investors, and he needs to take responsibility for the concentrated ownership as it's entirely his fault. I didn't commit to any specific actions when I sent in my BTC back in September - I'm not so much a stakeholder as an investor/gambler. I'm grateful to those users who are actively doing things to support NXT, but was there an agreement we signed? Everyone is following their own self interest.

My intention is to wait until the NXT exchange is finished and then enter the market. I'm not going to be a hoarder.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NxtChoice

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:12:48 AM

I can say, if CC is enabled in the client and works fine for Nxt exchange, I will promote deeper and deeper and I can get more than 20% of the present users into Nxt.
nexern

Activity: 597
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:15:57 AM

thanks for you pre-trust and you are right, i am also against vaporware.
i will make an announcement tomorrow, when i have seen the api.
it's up to the community then, to decide if nxt want and need this client.

I, for one, think the community seriously needs a stable, reliable, native (non java) client that is easy to install and operate.

I'm glad your working on it.

i am not working on it now, first i have to see the api and specs.
then, if the community has decided, i could start on 3.january.
it would take me ~4 weeks, to code the client from scratch,
optimized for all nxt advantages.

btw. today i will quickly add some basic graphic/charting to block explorer
to visualize some data. there was more planned but when this is done, i will
stop adding more features due to client, which is far more important i think.
so if there is any must have feature you need, please tell me now.

klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:23:32 AM

Now time for bad news.

BCNext is becoming more and more angry coz of stakeholders who don't help Nxt. They don't run their nodes, they don't support bounties, they don't take part in Nxt promotion. He can't force them to do all these things but he can quit this project and join other cryptocoin, no matter if it's called ClonedNxt, and contribute his ideas and code to a competitor of Nxt...

My personal opinion: This guy doesn't care about money nor how much 1 NXT will be worth, I'm 100% sure he will do what he said. I think that Nxt clone will have the same problems and decision to quit Nxt would be one of the worst decisions, but he has his own opinion.
Edit: If stakeholders don't change situation they should sell their coins before price drops below ZERO.

03/Jan/2014 is a very good day for the launch.  Exactly 5 years after the launch of Bitcoin.  The genesis block and software will be published much earlier so the community will have enough time to check and test everything.

Tell me the IP of your server, please.

The problem is BCNext didn't stick to his original plan. He got spooked by eMunie and jumped too early before a sufficient number of people had contributed to the genesis block. The client wasn't ready for launch either. It looks like BCNext regrets the launch date decision now, but complaining about the actions of the people who did take a gamble on NXT seems very immature and counter productive.

eMunie will succeed because its founder has patience enough to launch when he knows his product is ready. With eMunie it's quality and professionalism all the way, and that's why eMunie will be a huge success when it is launched.

Nxt has been pretty successful so far, so I'm not sure what the problem is anyway. Patience man! It's still early days, but you have damaged NXT with your threats and dramatic antics.

I have a much larger stake in NXT than I ever imagined, but that's because BCNext launched nearly 6 weeks early with too few investors, and he needs to take responsibility for the concentrated ownership as it's entirely his fault. I didn't commit to any specific actions when I sent in my BTC back in September - I'm not so much a stakeholder as an investor/gambler. I'm grateful to those users who are actively doing things to support NXT, but was there an agreement we signed? Everyone is following their own self interest.

My intention is to wait until the NXT exchange is finished and then enter the market. I'm not going to be a hoarder.

Well said!
klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:25:08 AM

I, for one, think the community seriously needs a stable, reliable, native (non java) client that is easy to install and operate.

Still have not tipped you - I wait to take over the giveaway after bybitcoin pass me the coins. You will be awarded what you deserve man!
abctc
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1025

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:56:51 AM

... i will stop adding more features due to client, which is far more important i think.

- your blockexplorer is very important for Nxt success (and very well done, btw).

But I can't catch the alternative client idea. Does ordinary users need an alternative client? With which server they supposed to use it?    They need to trust that server.  If they managed to found such server, why not to use current https web-client?

█████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

, the Next platform.  Magis quam Moneta (More than a Coin)
pandaisftw

Activity: 224

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:59:50 AM

I have this bug to report. It's a second or third time I've seen it and I think it's easily reproduceable. This is on Debian Linux. Not sure if this is OS specific, but trying to give all details here. It may even be a known issue, not sure.

I have started NXT 0.3.18 and it began to download the blockchain. Then I tried to terminate it with CTRL+C BEFORE it fully downloaded, but it didn't want to exit, so I issued a kill -9 PID. Then I started the software again, but it turns out the blocks.nxt got corrupted, because the browser began to spit the java.nullpointer exception message. Had to stop the server, replace blocks.nxt with the blocks.nxt.bak file, and then start it again, and then it was alright.

So, why is it, that before the full block chain is downloaded and you stop the server, the server doesn't want to exit, and kill -9 PID corrupts the blocks.nxt file. There has to be a way to exit the server without corrupting the block chain even though the block chain isn't fully downloaded. Or did I have to wait longer for the server to exit after CTRL+C?

Thx for the report. I'll add a code that checks if CTRL+C was pressed during blockchain downloading.

Those who don't see blocks, please, check if ur blocks.nxt file is growing.

blocks.nxt file is growing. I think(?) I found the problem. I had to refresh the page once the entire blockchain finishes catching up in order to see the new blocks. That also seems to include when it randomly "catches up" mid-session. So anytime I catch up, I have to refresh the page. Not sure if this is true, just my theory, I will watch it some more.

So I looked some more, and the blockchain froze again when "catching up...", no matter how many times I refreshed. blocks.nxt file stopped increasing as well.

1. delete *.nxt
2. rename blo*nxt.bak blocks.nxt
3. rename tran*nxt.bak transactions.nxt
4. wait several minutes

No, that's not it. I can start from genesis block or the files included with latest release, will still run into this problem when/if it "catches up..." the second time after the initial block download.

NXT: 13095091276527367030
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:09:12 PM

No, that's not it. I can start from genesis block or the files included with latest release, will still run into this problem when/if it "catches up..." the second time after the initial block download.

Try https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67242472/peers.nxt, it contains marked peers.
voldemort628

Activity: 155

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:10:23 PM
Last edit: December 12, 2013, 01:19:13 PM by voldemort628

Now time for bad news.

we just need to all chill down a bit, take a deep breath Smiley

the tension only happens when all parties involved care. So thats good and a lil tension and pressure will help to make things more efficient.
On one hand we should understand that the devs (esp BCNext) have been working hard and trying to push things faster to get into the market first, which if achieved will give Nxt a great advantage over other competitors. So , he meant well for the Nxt community as a whole.
But on the other hand, we (esp BCNext) should also understand (and should have predicted) that the market could behave this way(i.e the prob of freeridership), which is also a result of all the events happened so far during Nxt development process.

AND IMHO,
-there are definitely many ways to ask/encourage big stakeholders to be more proactive in promoting/helping/supporting/spreading Nxt. and threatening to leave is as irresponsible as the inactivity/reluctance to help of the big stakeholders.
-to the big stakeholders out there, lets start doing something guys, you would rather have 1M of a $10coin than 10M of a worthless coin wouldnt you? (saw this quote somewhere)

Cheers,

PS Lets all act for a greater good Tongue haha

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
▐ CRYPTI▐
a Node.JS coin built from scratch. With Proof of Time, Purchase and Identity. Custom blockchains and much more!
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
nexern

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:16:33 PM

Still have not tipped you - I wait to take over the giveaway after bybitcoin pass me the coins. You will be awarded what you deserve man!

thx klee, the nxt-bce was just a quick experiment to get familiar with nxt api/protocol and to contribute.
the *real* work starts now.

But I can't catch the alternative client idea. Does ordinary users need an alternative client? With which server they supposed to use it?    They need to trust that server.  If they managed to found such server, why not to use current https web-client?

the basic idea to design the current client as webinterface has many advantages but also shows weakness in
usabillity for non tech related users. we have to change this. the new client can connect to both, your local
instance as well to a trusted node. the user can decide what fit's better and maintain a trusted node list.
the goal is to keep the client as small and compact as possible, running e.g. from a mini usb stick just by a click.
no installation, no dependencies, totally self contained, non-tech user approved.  Grin

laowai80

Activity: 98

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:20:46 PM

I disagree with this statement. eMunie, as far as I understand, doesn't have a fixed coin supply, from what I have read eMunie money supply is flexible to demand, which is exactly the same system as fiat currencies use right now. Central banks provide as much liquidity into the system as populations require. So eMunie is just a decentralized way of doing the same, which is very inflationary. In my opinion, eMunie is not a competitor of NXT at all. If the money supply isn't fixed, the money system isn't even worth looking at, no matter what other fancy features are included in the package. So, there is absolutely no reason to be spooked by eMunie.
laowai80

Activity: 98

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:21:59 PM

the basic idea to design the current client as webinterface has many advantages but also shows weakness in
usabillity for non tech related users. we have to change this. the new client can connect to both, your local
instance as well to a trusted node. the user can decide what fit's better and maintain a trusted node list.
the goal is to keep the client as small and compact as possible, running e.g. from a mini usb stick just by a click.
no installation, no dependencies, totally self contained, non-tech user approved.  Grin

there will certainly be demand for such software.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:27:22 PM

no installation, no dependencies, totally self contained, non-tech user approved.  Grin

Is it possible to sign transactions on client side? Then users don't need to trust 3rd party servers, they will just check some of them to make sure noone feeds client with incorrect blockchain data.
iruu

Activity: 148

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:38:24 PM
Last edit: December 12, 2013, 12:52:10 PM by iruu

Now time for bad news.

Client is very bad now. 0.2.11 worked somewhat, I ran a node for a few days, but the thing was having serious problems with block downloading and required constant restarts, so I stopped. Three next didn't really work, various problems.  
I tried new version about a week ago. All I got was a nullpointer exception msgbox on startup and nothing worked, blocks didn't download, the file's size was perpetually rising to a small value, then resetting to 0 and again.    
It's all closed source so I can't even attempt to fix the code. I decided to wait for the first "official" version in January. Battling with current clients is just an infuriating waste of time.  

If it works and doesn't require constant attention I can run a 24h node.  

All this makes me one of the evil initial investors (disclaimer: one of the smallest) "who doesn't even run a node". I know there are few developers, or even one, but it's by your design. You can't complain while keeping this thing closed source and at the current quality level.  

Bounties etc. This is due to a very serious execution error - a % of original nxt should get reserved for such purposes (even including special shares for developers). Now we have a free rider problem. Perhaps claiming a % of unclaimed coins in January will fix this neatly. If not, I can contribute at least 10k NXT, assuming I don't have to spend hours just to make the client work.  

Last but not least, there really should be an official forum and discussion moved there, separated into several topics. There's nextcoin.org but it seems to be not really used by you. Mega-threads like this one aren't a very efficient method for disseminating information.  

Sharky444

Activity: 724

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:47:59 PM

I disagree with this statement. eMunie, as far as I understand, doesn't have a fixed coin supply, from what I have read eMunie money supply is flexible to demand, which is exactly the same system as fiat currencies use right now. Central banks provide as much liquidity into the system as populations require. So eMunie is just a decentralized way of doing the same, which is very inflationary. In my opinion, eMunie is not a competitor of NXT at all. If the money supply isn't fixed, the money system isn't even worth looking at, no matter what other fancy features are included in the package. So, there is absolutely no reason to be spooked by eMunie.

eMunie is not inflationary. If there is a demand on the free market for 10% more coins, 10% new coins are created, but stakeholders receive free coins, so their assets value stays the same.

Radix - just imagine
abctc
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1025

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:49:50 PM

the goal is to keep the client as small and compact as possible
- the web-client is smallest. It require only a browser. Stand-alone client is another layer to trust into.

Of course, its your decision, but 4 weeks of development...   may be Nxt needs some quick useful serveces right now. You are trusted developer, may be you can make mixing service (and gain some deserved profit from it).. or another service.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

, the Next platform.  Magis quam Moneta (More than a Coin)
neer.g

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:51:52 PM

Hi to all,
I have only few minutes, so I'll make it short.
I'm your average large stakeholder who cannot keep up with the client installations and updateds.
I don't have the time and the tech. knowledge to do that.
I'm not online most of the time for the time being, and this is the reason I said when Nxt started that I'm willing to donate a substantial amount of Nxt to share the burden.
So I'll say it again:
I'm willing to donate more than 3M nxt.
Lets open a fund that will be managed by respectable members that will be able to gurantee that the funds will be spent properly.
For every 2 Nxt that other stakeholders will donate - I'll donate 1 Nxt (3.4M max - already donated 0.4M to bybitcoin and 0.2M privately).
We need a Gavin - someone wants to step forward?
landomata
Legendary

Activity: 2184

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 12:57:12 PM

Hi to all,
I have only few minutes, so I'll make it short.
I'm your average large stakeholder who cannot keep up with the client installations and updateds.
I don't have the time and the tech. knowledge to do that.
I'm not online most of the time for the time being, and this is the reason I said when Nxt started that I'm willing to donate a substantial amount of Nxt to share the burden.
So I'll say it again:
I'm willing to donate more than 3M nxt.
Lets open a fund that will be managed by respectable members that will be able to gurantee that the funds will be spent properly.
For every 2 Nxt that other stakeholders will donate - I'll donate 1 Nxt (3.4M max - already donated 0.4M to bybitcoin and 0.2M privately).

I nominate Klee as one of the respectable members to channel the fund properly.

nexern

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 01:04:36 PM

- the web-client is smallest. It require only a browser. Stand-alone client is another layer to trust into.

this is correct. i wouldn't consider to write a new one without these increasing posts about
the buggy client but this needs to change i think.

Of course, its your decision, but 4 weeks of development...   may be Nxt needs some quick useful serveces right now. You are trusted developer, may be you can make mixing service (and gain some deserved profit from it).. or another service.

be sure there will be many usefull services later, but from my pow services needs a demand by users,
many users and the current client seems as an obstacle to me (no offend here) to convince and satisfy
enough users. so i think the best is to remove this obstacle first.
voldemort628

Activity: 155

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 01:17:34 PM

+1

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
▐ CRYPTI▐
a Node.JS coin built from scratch. With Proof of Time, Purchase and Identity. Custom blockchains and much more!
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
Pages: « 1 ... 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 [160] 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: