Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:15:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 [324] 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761525 times)
Pablito89

Activity: 378
Merit: 104

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 02:29:20 AM

my 2 public vps with 1gb ram are stucking at 23361
no problems with the 2gb hallmarked

are we sure 1gb is enough?

now i'm going to restore again blockchains...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
allwelder
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 02:32:09 AM

NXT is not on coinmarketcap.com again. Embarrassed Embarrassed

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
OKNXT

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 02:37:18 AM

@ ferment  I sent 20,000 nxt to your donation address, 18000 for 6 nodes...2000 for your efforts..get to work  Wink

HA! Thank you. That almost makes another 10 for the yet-to-be-determined data center.

Votes? Hong Kong, Sydney, Europe?

Good times!

Hong Kong!

I suggest add more nodes in Asia. I have set up node in US, and I'll try to add nodes in Asia.

Donations are welcome.

bitcoinrocks
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 02:38:55 AM

Is anyone else having way too much fun?
bizz

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 02:49:59 AM

NXT is not on coinmarketcap.com again. Embarrassed Embarrassed

it will be back:

btw, I'm having issues with the dgex.com API,  so if you see Nxt popping in and out, that's why.

2Kool4Skewl (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 02:52:14 AM

HALLMARK WEIGHTING PROBLEM

ZjP and I were discussing the implications of the hallmark weighting algorithm on blockchain propagation.  We believe that the hallmark weighting algo is actually detrimental to the network staying synced and preventing DDoS attacks.  The nodes that are marked with higher balances are being repeatedly bombarded with requests for the blockchain even if they are already saturated with requests and non-responsive.  The smaller balance or zero balance nodes never try to sync with nodes which have a lower hallmark weighting or no hallmark weighting.  This results in the higher weighted nodes, which are currently the backbone of the system, being overrun and taken out.  If you are running non-hallmarked servers to try to boost the network's stability, you are actually causing more damage because you are straining the already overloaded nodes that have a large weight.

If the hallmark weight system were to be removed, the network would view each node, regardless of it's balance, as equal and distribute the workload across entire network, instead of concentrating the entire network's requests on a few heavily weighted nodes.  This would mitigate the DDoS attack because they be forced to try to take out more targets instead of being able to only target a few large balance nodes and bring the network to a halt.

Also, it seems that whenever the blockchain gets a bad block, you have to delete and re-download the entire blockchain to resync.  A proper resync only occurs if the blockchain pauses, but doesn't download a bad block.

Come-from-beyond, can you please relay this information to BCNext?  What are your thoughts?  I hope the source code is release asap, so these problems can get sorted out quickly.

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
             ▄██████████████████████████▄
      ▄███████████████████████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
  █████████████████████████████████████████████████
   ███████████████████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████████████████
     ███████████████████████████████████████████
      █████████████████████████████████████████
       ███████████████████████████████████████
        █████████████████████████████████████
         ███████████████████████████████████
          █████████████████████████████████
           ▀█████████████████████████████▀
             ▀█████████████████████████▀
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
Pablito89

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 02:56:35 AM

ZjP and I were discussing the implications of the hallmark weighting algorithm on blockchain propagation.  We believe that the hallmark weighting algo is actually detrimental to the network staying synced and preventing DDoS attacks.  The nodes that are marked with higher balances are being repeatedly bombarded with requests for the blockchain even if they are already saturated with requests and non-responsive.  The smaller balance or zero balance nodes never try to sync with nodes which have a lower hallmark weighting or no hallmark weighting.  This results in the higher weighted nodes, which are currently the backbone of the system, being overrun and taken out.  If you are running non-hallmarked servers to try to boost the network's stability, you are actually causing more damage because you are straining the already overloaded nodes that have a large weight.

If the hallmark weight system were to be removed, the network would view each node, regardless of it's balance, as equal and distribute the workload across entire network, instead of concentrating the entire network's requests on a few heavily weighted nodes.  This would mitigate the DDoS attack because they be forced to try to take out more targets instead of being able to only target a few large balance nodes and bring the network to a halt.

Also, it seems that whenever the blockchain gets a bad block, you have to delete and re-download the entire blockchain to resync.  A proper resync only occurs if the blockchain pauses, but doesn't download a bad block.

Come-from-beyond, can you please relay this information to BCNext?  What are your thoughts?  I hope the source code is release asap, so these problems can get sorted out quickly.

hmmm probabilly into the actual situation, removing of the hallmark system is the best solution... isn't?
OKNXT

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 02:57:28 AM

So you means that it's the hallmark system caused the DDoS, right?

Any reference on hallmark algorithm?

Pablito89

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 02:59:27 AM

i power off my vps no-hallmarked then... waiting for a solution
eB101

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 03:02:05 AM

I know DDOSers are being squashed, but can someone answer my question about aliases?
Are they done?
Are they still able to be made? I made one last night, it was confirmed in my transactions,
I believe my blockchain is updated now.. and now it's gone, and when i try to search for it under.
http://localhost:7874/nxt?requestType=getAlias&alias=(my transaction ID saved)
I get..

{"errorCode":5,"errorDescription":"Unknown alias"}

Another one I made today just froze on server response (understandable now with the attacks)

Even though the first one was confirmed previously, did it get lost?
kinda lame.
If this is all just moot due to recent events ok... but 25000 coming up soon. seems like alias didn't go smoothly. heh.

AS should work just fine, I keep having fun and I'm actually surprised to find many good ones still open.. Its possible that the one you chose just got passed to someone else with higher fee (would be strange at this time though). Did you check your balance to see any anomaly? I would try again with a very random name and 1 nxt fee, see if you get it
Pablito89

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 03:03:58 AM

what i understood:

i have 3 vps, 2 not hallmarked and 1 hallmarked

best solution:

destroy the 2 not hallmarked vps and upgrade the hallmarked one to a stronger vps.

right?
matt4054
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 03:06:14 AM

hmmm probabilly into the actual situation, removing of the hallmark system is the best solution... isn't?

Removing it, and/or re-implementing it in a DDoS-proof way, as much as possible, like introducing scoring over time that would require a much longer and sustained DDoS to affect the scoring.
Pablito89

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 03:16:01 AM

destroyed my 2 not hallmarked vps
upgraded my hallmarked vps to a 4gb vps

when and if the hallmark system will be revisited or removed i'll set up vps as required

my hallmark is not so much strong (not so many NXT) but if someone wanna make him taller... Cheesy
Damelon
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 03:30:52 AM

I had no problems all day, but now I earlier in the evening chains stopped coming in.

I tried stopping java, removing blocks.nxt, but now I don't even get peers anymore.

I'm on 0.4.2.

Any suggestions?

Member of the Nxt Foundation | Donations: NXT-D6K7-MLY6-98FM-FLL5T
Join Nxt Slack! https://nxtchat.herokuapp.com/
Founder of Blockchain Workspace | Personal Site & Blog
opticalcarrier

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 03:51:13 AM

on my VPSs, its not necessary to unlock an account on it, is it?  shouldnt I just be able to hallmark it and  start java and as long as it syncs the chain, I should be ok, right?

and if anyone is using a VPS provider that offers reverse DNS for their static IP, if you want a custom nxtcrypto.org DNS name, PM me with your desired hostname, for example "opticalcarrier1.vps.nxtcrypto.org". 

This WILL NOT WORK with VPSs that are already created, unless you really know linux and can change files around.  I dont have time for a tutorial for that now, so this will just be for new instances of VPSs.  Dont bother unless its for a new VPS or you will break other things in your VPS

The only provider I know FOR SURE that supports this is digital ocean, and when you create the VPS, just give it the hostname that I give you, the entire thing.  then in web.xml youll use that DNS hostname in place of the static IP.  and you will also use the DNS name in the hallmark creation instead of the IP address.  And then PM me your hostname and static and Ill add it to my nameservers.
Kmonk

Activity: 91

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 03:59:25 AM

it will be back
NXT keeps appearing n disappearing on this site + loses over $10,000,000 in Market Cap, can someone please explain what's happening here?
2Kool4Skewl (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 04:15:41 AM
Last edit: December 24, 2013, 04:25:54 AM by 2Kool4Skewl

ZjP and I were discussing the implications of the hallmark weighting algorithm on blockchain propagation.  We believe that the hallmark weighting algo is actually detrimental to the network staying synced and preventing DDoS attacks.  The nodes that are marked with higher balances are being repeatedly bombarded with requests for the blockchain even if they are already saturated with requests and non-responsive.  The smaller balance or zero balance nodes never try to sync with nodes which have a lower hallmark weighting or no hallmark weighting.  This results in the higher weighted nodes, which are currently the backbone of the system, being overrun and taken out.  If you are running non-hallmarked servers to try to boost the network's stability, you are actually causing more damage because you are straining the already overloaded nodes that have a large weight.

If the hallmark weight system were to be removed, the network would view each node, regardless of it's balance, as equal and distribute the workload across entire network, instead of concentrating the entire network's requests on a few heavily weighted nodes.  This would mitigate the DDoS attack because they be forced to try to take out more targets instead of being able to only target a few large balance nodes and bring the network to a halt.

Also, it seems that whenever the blockchain gets a bad block, you have to delete and re-download the entire blockchain to resync.  A proper resync only occurs if the blockchain pauses, but doesn't download a bad block.

Come-from-beyond, can you please relay this information to BCNext?  What are your thoughts?  I hope the source code is release asap, so these problems can get sorted out quickly.

ZjP and I believe the hallmark system made the DDoS much worse.  This is because currently all the servers request information from the largest hallmarked nodes.  If the attacker can overwhelm the few large hallmarked nodes, he can bring the network to a halt, because the large hallmarked nodes can no longer process legitimate requests from non-attacking nodes.  The nodes with small hallmarks or no hallmarks never request information from each other.  They solely rely on the larger hallmarked nodes.  This is why hallmarking makes the system more vulnerable to attack.  It creates fewer attack targets which makes the network easier to bring down.  If hallmarking is eliminated, then all our nodes would have equal weight and the attacker would not have a few centralized nodes to attack.  If the attacker managed to overwhelm some nodes, it wouldn't matter because other nodes could fulfill those requests.  He would have to bring down a significant number of nodes to even affect the network.  This would be harder to accomplish as the network grows.

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
2Kool4Skewl (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 04:28:53 AM

Yes, we believe removing the hallmark system will fix the problem, because then all the requests will be more evenly distributed across all the nodes on the network.

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
2Kool4Skewl (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 04:33:24 AM

what i understood:

i have 3 vps, 2 not hallmarked and 1 hallmarked

best solution:

destroy the 2 not hallmarked vps and upgrade the hallmarked one to a stronger vps.

right?

Yes, destroy the 2 not hallmarked nodes.  These nodes simply put additional stress on the hallmarked nodes.  The hallmarked nodes are already stressed from regular network usage and application level DDoS attack.  The non-hallmarked nodes are not being used by any other nodes for synchronization.  They do not help alleviate the workload on the other nodes.  They actually add unneeded work on the prioritized (hallmarked) nodes which is detrimental to the network.

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
OKNXT

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 04:34:14 AM

ZjP and I were discussing the implications of the hallmark weighting algorithm on blockchain propagation.  We believe that the hallmark weighting algo is actually detrimental to the network staying synced and preventing DDoS attacks.  The nodes that are marked with higher balances are being repeatedly bombarded with requests for the blockchain even if they are already saturated with requests and non-responsive.  The smaller balance or zero balance nodes never try to sync with nodes which have a lower hallmark weighting or no hallmark weighting.  This results in the higher weighted nodes, which are currently the backbone of the system, being overrun and taken out.  If you are running non-hallmarked servers to try to boost the network's stability, you are actually causing more damage because you are straining the already overloaded nodes that have a large weight.

If the hallmark weight system were to be removed, the network would view each node, regardless of it's balance, as equal and distribute the workload across entire network, instead of concentrating the entire network's requests on a few heavily weighted nodes.  This would mitigate the DDoS attack because they be forced to try to take out more targets instead of being able to only target a few large balance nodes and bring the network to a halt.

Also, it seems that whenever the blockchain gets a bad block, you have to delete and re-download the entire blockchain to resync.  A proper resync only occurs if the blockchain pauses, but doesn't download a bad block.

Come-from-beyond, can you please relay this information to BCNext?  What are your thoughts?  I hope the source code is release asap, so these problems can get sorted out quickly.

ZjP and I believe the hallmark system made the DDoS much worse.  This is because currently all the servers request information from the largest hallmarked nodes.  If the attacker can overwhelm the few large hallmarked nodes, he can bring the network to a halt, because the large hallmarked nodes can no longer process legitimate requests from non-attacking nodes.  The nodes with small hallmarks or no hallmarks never request information from each other.  They solely rely on the larger hallmarked nodes.  This is why hallmarking makes the system more vulnerable to attack.  It creates fewer attack targets which makes the network easier to bring down.  If hallmarking is eliminated, then all our nodes would have equal weight and the attacker would not have a few centralized nodes to attack.  If the attacker managed to overwhelm some nodes, it wouldn't matter because other nodes could fulfill those requests.  He would have to bring down a significant number of nodes to even affect the network.  This would be harder to accomplish as the network grows.

Yes, I followed your thought. On the other hand, apart from removing hallmark, what else we can do to improve it so as to resistant to DDoS? A dynamic self adjustment hallmark score based on the network?

Pages: « 1 ... 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 [324] 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: