Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:47:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 [1227] 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761525 times)
coolmist

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 12:22:53 AM

Does anyone know how I can call an account balance in PHP?

I need something like...

Code:

$TokenResponse = json_decode(file_get_contents("http://localhost:7874/nxt?requestType=decodeToken&website=" . $rand . "&token=" . $token"));

$balance = json_decode(file_get_contents("http://localhost:7874/nxt?requestType=getBalance&account=". $TokenResponse[account]"));

pass account ID not token.
Code:
http://localhost:7874/nxt?requestType=getBalance&account=6669070404060812420

remember results are "multiplied by 100"

also, you'll probably be interested more in guaranted balance:
Code:
http://localhost:7874/nxt?requestType=getGuaranteedBalance&account=6669070404060812420&numberOfConfirmations=10

Right I understand the API, I was just giving an example -- what I meant was connections are refused when I send json requests, and curl is returning "NULL".
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
S3MKi
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1016

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 12:24:19 AM

Guys look at bter sell orders
0.00008600    106,768.552    
0.00008700    100,699.300    
0.00008700    100,699.300    
0.00008900    102,158.623    
0.00009000    115,579.710    

+0.0000100       order about 100000
Damelon
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 12:26:10 AM

Update 13: Bitcoin Conference Miami

This one is a big deal; we had a great meeting with Eric from ZipZap. JustaBit has talked with Zipzap quite a bit in the past for Peercoin, providing what they needed to make an informed decision about adding it to their platform. Today, Eric, myself, JustaBit and eB101 talked about how to move Nxt forward with Zipzap. Fantastic information, Eric is a straight shooter which I appreciate.  JustaBit is willing to help facilitate this the same way he did with Peercoin. Once we're added to Vircurex and/or Cryptsy, we'll provide liquidity information to help push this forward.

Update 13b

It hasn't been made public yet, but JustaBit will be leaving the Peer community at the end of the month on great terms to work on a company we've been developing called CoinTropolis. He'll have much more bandwidth available for Nxt. If you're not familiar with ZipZap, you might want to start reading up now. Zipzap will allow us to get coins into the hands of Joe User for cash. This is the big leagues in crypto.

It was great to have eB101 with us during the meetings, I know he'll do a great job helping coordinate the International Nxt community.

You guys have moved Nxt forward SO much today!
Thanks to all for your great work.

Member of the Nxt Foundation | Donations: NXT-D6K7-MLY6-98FM-FLL5T
Join Nxt Slack! https://nxtchat.herokuapp.com/
Founder of Blockchain Workspace | Personal Site & Blog
opticalcarrier

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 12:31:25 AM

The more NXT someone has, the more right he has to decide. It's natural. Someone with 50% ownership on a company has a 50% right to decide something..

It's so easy. So why do you fighting over this so much?
I agree too, but this is only under the assumption that large stakeholders will always do things in the best interest of the currency's growth and health. However, I am sure at some point there could be large NXT stakeholders that would vote for something just not acceptable by a majority of the community and it would be interesting to see how that would play out in the actual decision making process.
Well, they are the majority. So let it be.

They're not the majority. That's the point here.
They are. If you have 50$ and the other guy 1$ then you have the majority of wealth. So you are should be allowed to say more.

Fortunately, our democratic systems do not work this way (not yet, I fear).

You should be allowed to say more if you spend more of you wealth:
Say, if you spend 1/10 of your wealth it's more than if somebody spend 1/10000 of theirs. It appears it's not so important to them.

NXT is an economic ecosystem, not a state. In PoS 1 NXT is equivalent to 1 person (like SSN, birth certificate, or whatever) because this is the only way to truly account for the validity of each NXT, so 1 NXT = 1 Vote. All other methods will be gamed by the rich to make the poor poorer. For example, using 1 account = 1 Vote, a large stakeholder can create 10k accounts easily, while a small stakeholder will go broke doing it. No matter what you do, the rich can always afford more accounts than the poor can. Thus voting on an account basis is unrealistic.

I think a good analogy would be (within the NXT ecosystem), 1 NXT = 1 Person, Account Owner = Representative. So if you own 10k NXT, you are their representative and represent their "views", but you cannot speak for all the NXTs under other representatives.

A larger holders vote should have weight proportional to their stake, but they should also pay a proportional fee to their total stake. That could be a significant cost, preventing impulsive, foolish or uneducated voting. It is the stake holders responsibility to vote in a responsible and educated manner. It is those who are pushing the changes (or dissenters) to make sure they are educated on what is being changed and why it is important/needs to be done. I can't see how anything else matters or why all these complicated, gameable voting systems are even being brought up.

not saying you are wrong but i just wanted to point out that a large stake holder already has a strong incentive not to make a bad decision. if he does it will lower the value of his stake.

i have stayed out of all the VS stuff until now voting on stuff really concerns me.  unless tere is something to prevent someone from making a vote to steal money from someone, or something along those lines, it shouldnt be done at all.

IMO the best way with voting is to make the fee for the vote proportional to the stake.
Kattywampus

Activity: 35

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 12:45:38 AM

On the plane home from Miami. Thank you to everyone for the kind words, it was a great experience and I look forward to helping with the next steps.
gs02xzz

Activity: 221

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 12:52:31 AM

On the plane home from Miami. Thank you to everyone for the kind words, it was a great experience and I look forward to helping with the next steps.

Thanks you, Kattywampus!
starik69
Legendary

Activity: 1367
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 12:56:59 AM

Totally agree. Fees adjusted to voting power are absolutely necessary.
IMO the best way with voting is to make the fee for the vote proportional to the stake.
What fee?  Huh
If transaction fee then stakeholders would return them by forging own transactions in own blocks. Roll Eyes
If fee to some voting address with somewhat redistribution after voting then it is gamed again by creating many accounts. Tongue
joefox

Activity: 210

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 01:08:31 AM

Important notice regarding Let's Talk Bitcoin 1-minute spots!

Salsacz and I have been in touch about recording 1-minute spots for the Let's Talk Bitcoin network and we'd love to hear from Nxt champions all over the world.

We're asking you to record SHORT (10-15 second) answers to this question:

What is Nxt?

Here's how to do it:

• Go to http://vocaroo.com/
  • Use your PC's microphone to record a message including your name (real name or forum nickname), location, and your answer to "What is Nxt"
  • When you're happy with your recording, hit the "email" button and send your recording to whatsupnxt@gmail.com

FOR EXAMPLE:  "This is Come-from-Beyonce, from Belarus.  Nxt is so energy efficient that I can forge coins on a $35 Raspberry Pi computer powered by a solar panel!"

I'll be collecting these recordings and compiling them into a series of 1-minute spots to promote Nxt.  Keep your answers short by focusing each one on a Nxt feature that that is important to YOU.

They are expecting a completed ad in a couple of days, so please make a submission before Wednesday, January 29.  Record SEVERAL short pieces, if you like -- just keep each one brief.  I'll wrap it into a nice package, and do us all proud.

I admin the Nxt Wiki at http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/ Please support my work by donating to Nxt account #1234567740944417915
pt7

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 01:08:52 AM

what with special cases, like the exchanges?

can they vote with users NXT?

Perhaps a colored coin concept can preserve the identity of the beneficial owners of NXT on an exchange? Something that is attached when a user acquires or uploads NXT, and removed when it is sold?

Or a smart contract between the exchange and its users requiring the exhange to cast votes as directed by users?
This too can be gamed.  Assume a person can uniquely be identified with colored coins.  What is to stop a significant stakeholder attaching colored coins to hobos for some pocket change to gain additional votes.   The only solution that cannot be gamed is 1 NXT = 1 vote?  This is also consistent with POS.

I was suggesting a way to preserve 1 NXT - vote (and perhaps this can be extended to forging as well).

Unless I misunderstand it, right now the exchanges get the forging power of all the NXT they hold, and I assume the vote system would work the same way by default (the exchange would get one vote for each NXT it holds). What I am suggesting implements via the unique features of a decentralized ledger the way it works in the public markets today; if you own Apple stock through a brokerage account, you instruct your broker how to vote your shares, and the broker actually casts the votes.

Same for forging...why does DGEX get all the payoff for holding its users' NXT? Of course, if they lose that, expect higher fees charged to users for DGEX's services.
Sorry for missing that point.  Hopefully when NXT includes an asset exchange, this will be less of an issue.  Also it will help if/when NXT offers the ability to lease forging to a pool without transferring the coins.  However, as a fallback there will be pressure on exchanges and pools by customers to waive any voting.  Regarding forging, this is balanced by fees charged (with the current pools).
okaynow

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

PGP 9CB0902E

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 01:12:22 AM

+1

1PeecNu1J8VNKpgR13nasMZWLcMZrwNJfc
bithic

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 01:12:54 AM

So are we forking badly or not?

noob question but what happens when it forks???

Every fork of a network is effectively a new network itself. If you get stuck on a new fork/network then the coins you have are newNXT coins, as opposed to originalNXT coins. And they are not usable on the main NXT network. So they are almost useless.

situation A)
- I have money in my account
- I will not update and start new bad fork
- nobody will send me NXT coins
- I will fix situation and update
- are my old NXT ok?

situation B)
- the same as A, however somebody sent me NXT during my bad fork
- will be useless only money received during my bad fork?
- money I had before bad fork are ok?

bad fork ... useless money??

Is that planned feature?

I'd have thought that new versions are backwards compatible (at least in the code is e.g. block.version ...)

I'm not one of the developers, but my understanding is that if you are on a fork it is true that your account balance on that fork will be useless on the main blockchain. However, your original account still exists on the main blockchain in whatever state it was in before you forked. Any coins sent to your account on the main blockchain will still be received by it. Any transaction you do while on the fork will not be recognized by the main blockchain. Once you get back to the main blockchain you will see your account in exactly the same state it was in before you forked (unless it had received incoming transactions on the main blockchain while you were away, in which case those will show up).

So not really a huge risk for the average user, more just annoying and confusing until you get it sorted out. You might need to kill your client, delete it, delete your blockchain record and download the new client + real blockchain afresh.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
xyzzyx

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

I don't really come from outer space.

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 01:18:23 AM

I'm not one of the developers, but my understanding is that if you are on a fork it is true that your account balance on that fork will be useless on the main blockchain. However, your original account still exists on the main blockchain in whatever state it was in before you forked. Any coins sent to your account on the main blockchain will still be received by it. Any transaction you do while on the fork will not be recognized by the main blockchain. Once you get back to the main blockchain you will see your account in exactly the same state it was in before you forked (unless it had received incoming transactions on the main blockchain while you were away, in which case those will show up).

So not really a huge risk for the average user, more just annoying and confusing until you get it sorted out. You might need to kill your client, delete it, delete your blockchain record and download the new client + real blockchain afresh.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You're correct.

A while back I managed to get on a fork and it behaved exactly as you described above.

"An awful lot of code is being written ... in languages that aren't very good by people who don't know what they're doing." -- Barbara Liskov
bithic

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 01:20:35 AM

Really good advice from Let's Talk Bitcoin about content for the 1 minute spots:

With a minute spot, I would suggest getting a couple of different people to read different spots.  You could have somebody doing mythbusting spots but I think it would be better to instead focus on the really cool features built into next and helping people imagine the reasons why they would actually want to use it.  People are very creative once you point them in the right direction, but the metacoin layer thing is a tough sell at first.     If you focus on the negative stuff people think about NXT, you come off as defensive but if you just talk about why your project is neat and why you're excited about it, that will attract more attention because people think its a good thing not a bad thing.

The perspective YOU bring, going into talk to people about NXT will be reflected in how they react.  If you think they'll hate it, they're probably going to hate it because you'll couch your words in such a way to make them prepare to hate it.  

You guys don't need to be defensive, you have a major advantage - a product that's out, and that seems to work with a development team that doens't have the legal liability of your competitors or some of the jurisdictional risk.   Your disadvantage is NXT appears to be a bit headless, with a few self-appointed organizers but no real structure besides stakeholders acting in what they feel is their own best interest.   It might be interesting talking about that, how NXT is a *real* decentralized org in that there is no formal company at all doing the development or paying for anything.
bithic

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 01:28:19 AM

FOR EXAMPLE:  "This is Come-from-Beyonce, from Belarus.  Nxt is so energy efficient that I can forge coins on a $35 Raspberry Pi computer powered by a solar panel!"

I'll be collecting these recordings and compiling them into a series of 1-minute spots to promote Nxt.  Keep your answers short by focusing each one on a Nxt feature that that is important to YOU.

A compilation like this will definitely come across as an advertisement, which might be ok for the first couple spots, but it will get old quickly. I think it would be good to transition to more of a "news update" feel once Nxt has been sufficiently introduced, so listeners feel like they're being included in the community by being given valuable information on what is happening and what to expect. If we assume the listeners already love Nxt, and treat them as if they do, then they're more likely to love Nxt!
pandaisftw

Activity: 224

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 01:31:06 AM

The more NXT someone has, the more right he has to decide. It's natural. Someone with 50% ownership on a company has a 50% right to decide something..

It's so easy. So why do you fighting over this so much?
I agree too, but this is only under the assumption that large stakeholders will always do things in the best interest of the currency's growth and health. However, I am sure at some point there could be large NXT stakeholders that would vote for something just not acceptable by a majority of the community and it would be interesting to see how that would play out in the actual decision making process.
Well, they are the majority. So let it be.

They're not the majority. That's the point here.
They are. If you have 50$ and the other guy 1$ then you have the majority of wealth. So you are should be allowed to say more.

Fortunately, our democratic systems do not work this way (not yet, I fear).

You should be allowed to say more if you spend more of you wealth:
Say, if you spend 1/10 of your wealth it's more than if somebody spend 1/10000 of theirs. It appears it's not so important to them.

NXT is an economic ecosystem, not a state. In PoS 1 NXT is equivalent to 1 person (like SSN, birth certificate, or whatever) because this is the only way to truly account for the validity of each NXT, so 1 NXT = 1 Vote. All other methods will be gamed by the rich to make the poor poorer. For example, using 1 account = 1 Vote, a large stakeholder can create 10k accounts easily, while a small stakeholder will go broke doing it. No matter what you do, the rich can always afford more accounts than the poor can. Thus voting on an account basis is unrealistic.

I think a good analogy would be (within the NXT ecosystem), 1 NXT = 1 Person, Account Owner = Representative. So if you own 10k NXT, you are their representative and represent their "views", but you cannot speak for all the NXTs under other representatives.

I can understand your point of view. But do not make the Nxt ecosystem for Nxt. We do it for the people. And when people don't like it because it does not seem fair they won't support it.

There are more different methods as only these two (1 Vote = 1 Nxt and 1 vote = 1 account) and variants of them.

The problem with these two is, there is nothing at stake. You can vote whatever and whenever you want.

If you have to pay for each vote and the amount of what you pay directly influences the voting power, you really think of voting when and what and how much is it worth to me.

So, something is at stake now. I cannot simply pay 10.000.000 to simply outvote everyone else. Because, in the next voting session would won't have any coins left.

Can you produce any valid argument against fee-based voting? I would really like to hear them as I want Nxt to thrive because people love it.

Technically, everyone who votes, as a stakeholder, has something at stake. Large stakeholders won't vote for things that would destroy the value of their NXT, correct? They will not also vote to harm small stakeholders, because that would hurt or prevent new users from coming into the system, thus hurting their own stake.

Perhaps, like others have mentioned before, we should have different voting methods for different things.

1) For bigger things like deciding decimal points, which feature should be prioritized, etc. then we can use 1 NXT = 1 Vote. On these issues, everyone should care, but the larger stakeholders technically have more at risk, so they should have more say in what direction NXT should follow. This will also encourage everyone in the NXT ecosystem to vote because there is no fee, plus they wouldn't want to hand all the power to large stakeholders. Additionally, with the wealth dispersion that is on-going, not all the large holders will vote for the same thing all the time, so I think it'll work out.

2) For more trivial things like banners, logos, etc. we can use 1 Cost = 1 Vote. The idea is that since these things are not as important, people only will pay as much as they care, which makes sense. Plus, if someone really wants a particular banner and pays 10000's of NXT... let them and redistribute NXT to everyone else.

My only concern with 2) is that it may be abused, or that many stakeholders will end up not voting because they will think, "oh, I'll let other stakeholders fight it out with their NXT, not mine." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect) So I still feel 1) is the best course of action because everyone is voting with their stake, at stake.

NXT: 13095091276527367030
bithic

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 01:33:17 AM

Quotable?:

It's really interesting watching this community - you guys are the only "headless" metalayer, lacking a founder or team and yet delivering with real working software.   

Keep up the good work Smiley
coolmist

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 01:34:43 AM

I have multiple voting methods coded for community testing (per utopianfuture's proposal) I just need a way to send and receive API calls in PHP. The below example returns NULL... Suggestions?

Code:
<?php

function get_web_page$url )
    {

$user_agent='Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:8.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0';

$options = array(

CURLOPT_CUSTOMREQUEST  =>"GET",        //set request type post or get

CURLOPT_POST           =>false,        //set to GET

CURLOPT_USERAGENT      => $user_agent//set user agent

CURLOPT_COOKIEFILE     =>"cookie.txt"//set cookie file

CURLOPT_COOKIEJAR      =>"cookie.txt"//set cookie jar

CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER => true,     // return web page

CURLOPT_HEADER         => false,    // don't return headers

CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION => true,     // follow redirects

CURLOPT_ENCODING       => "",       // handle all encodings

CURLOPT_AUTOREFERER    => true,     // set referer on redirect

CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT => 120,      // timeout on connect

CURLOPT_TIMEOUT        => 120,      // timeout on response

CURLOPT_MAXREDIRS      => 10,       // stop after 10 redirects

);

$ch      curl_init$url );

curl_setopt_array$ch$options );

$content curl_exec$ch );

$err     curl_errno$ch );

$errmsg  curl_error$ch );

$header  curl_getinfo$ch );

curl_close$ch );

$header['errno']   = $err;

$header['errmsg']  = $errmsg;

$header['content'] = $content;
        return 
$header;
    }

$result get_web_page('http://node6.mynxt.info:7874/nxt?requestType=getBalance&account=10006970057300228034');

var_dump($result);

?>
Framewood

Activity: 49

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 01:37:04 AM

Thanks for being there and keeping us informed.
joefox

Activity: 210

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 01:45:40 AM
Last edit: January 27, 2014, 02:06:22 AM by joefox

FOR EXAMPLE:  "This is Come-from-Beyonce, from Belarus.  Nxt is so energy efficient that I can forge coins on a $35 Raspberry Pi computer powered by a solar panel!"

I'll be collecting these recordings and compiling them into a series of 1-minute spots to promote Nxt.  Keep your answers short by focusing each one on a Nxt feature that that is important to YOU.

A compilation like this will definitely come across as an advertisement, which might be ok for the first couple spots, but it will get old quickly. I think it would be good to transition to more of a "news update" feel once Nxt has been sufficiently introduced, so listeners feel like they're being included in the community by being given valuable information on what is happening and what to expect. If we assume the listeners already love Nxt, and treat them as if they do, then they're more likely to love Nxt!

I totally agree.  I'm casting the net wide to see what comes back, and will go from there.  We can probably use this format for the first few segments, but will then have to transition to something else.

These segments ARE, in essence, ads.  We are paying to sponsor Let's Talk Bitcoin for three months.  

We are simultaneously building a podcast for all things Nxt, and there is a possibility that full segments from that cast could be featured on the "Beyond Bitcoin" podcast that the LTB team is hoping to launch.

I admin the Nxt Wiki at http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/ Please support my work by donating to Nxt account #1234567740944417915
okaynow

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

PGP 9CB0902E

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 01:50:43 AM

Technically, everyone who votes, as a stakeholder, has something at stake.
Technically yes, but history has proven otherwise. You are takinginto account an oversimplified view that assumes and implies that everyone wants what is best for the network. This is false, and it is safe to assume that there are no angels walking on this earth.

But if a vote coming out of a 10milnxt account has 10mil times  more fees than a vote coming from a 1nxtacc then there is actually something at stake
How can we believe that Nxt can bring on something different to the table, if we stick to old tricks?

What would Satoshi do?

1PeecNu1J8VNKpgR13nasMZWLcMZrwNJfc
Pages: « 1 ... 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 [1227] 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: