Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:55:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1917 1918 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 [1967] 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761526 times)
igmaca

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 11:51:51 PM

Here is version 2.1 of my Windows NXT client "NXT Solaris".

Changelog
-Compatibilty fixes for NRS 0.8.x
-Implemented Curve25519 algorithm:
  * NXT Solaris is now a bit like "Electrum for NXT" (a thin client that does not download the complete blockchain, connecting to untrusted NRS nodes)
  * It is now safe to connect to public NRS nodes (except for forging).
  * As default, NXT Solaris no connects to a random public node.
  * Currently a static list of public nodes that allow API calls from anyone from the text file public_nodes.txt is used.
  * NRS and Java are now longer distributed with NRS Solaris.
  * You will get a warning in the secret input dialog if the secret is transmitted over http to the remote NRS node (only with start/stop forging).
  * If you want to forge, run your own NRS instance locally and set up NXT Solaris to connect to your instance.
-Since there is no batch mode in the NRS API:
  * Details for peers are no longer retrieved as default
  * A maximum of 50 (yet unkown) transactions per account are fetched from the NRS node whenever there is a new block
-Fixed null exchange rates when www.cryptocoincharts.info is down

Download
64-bit Version: NXTSolaris-v2.1-64bit.zip (29.6 MB) – Download here
SHA256 checksum for NXTSolaris-v2.1-64bit.zip: C01599EA51599AD4E2EE8D0B1762686EB7EC274118658C43F76983957F76B0D7

32-bit Version: NXTSolaris-v2.1-32bit.zip (27.5 MB) – Download here
SHA256 checksum for NXTSolaris-v2.1-32bit.zip: EAE75B046577E771CC2C8F57D2A4B8D9AF9F87F92FE5CD400DDE9F9755589957

For more screenshots and everything else please visit: http://nxtsolaris.wordpress.com/

Installation
Simply unzip the archive and run the NXTSolarisStarter.exe file.

The current version 2.1 is NOT compatible with the previous versions. Please delete any existing files and extract the zip archive to a new directory.

Roadmap
1.) Move current version of my code to XE5 and release closed source 32-bit and 64-bit versions for Windows. [DONE]
2.) Refactor code to a MVC architecture, so that I can create separate GUIs while using the same version of the business logic code. [DONE]
3.) Create new GUIs for Windows and OS X using the same business logic, but based on the cross-platform Firemonkey libraries. [DONE]
4.) Release Windows version (32 and 64 bit) based on FireMonkey. [DONE]
5.) Implement new features from the TODO list [DONE]
6.) Release source-code for FireMonkey Windows version (February 16th, 2014 latest) [DONE]
7.) Implement new features from the TODO list
8.) OSX compatibility changes
9.) Release OSX version based on FireMonkey.
10.) Release source code for FireMonkey OSX version.

TODO list
-Arbitrary message encryption
-Offer a simple and advanced GUI, with the simple GUI targeted at new users
-Implement client side Curve25519 encryption/signing

Donations
I hope you like my client and I’d be extremely happy to see some donations for the future of this project!

NXT: 1758531264253431177

Fantastic great job

must encourage any client developer to implement 2 factor authentication

Two-step verification is a process involving two stages to verify the identity of an entity trying to access services in a computer or in a network. This is a special case of a multi-factor authentication which might involve only one of the three authentication factors (a knowledge factor, a possession factor, and an inherence factor) for both steps.[1][2][3] If each step involves a different authentication factor then the two-step authentication is additionally two-factor authentication.
Contents  [hide]

1 Example
2 Google's two-step verification process
3 Other sites offering two-step verification service
4 References
Example[edit]

To provide an everyday example: an automated teller machine (ATM) typically requires two-factor verification. To prove that users are who they claim to be, the system requires two items: an ATM smartcard (application of the possession factor) and the personal identification number (PIN) (application of the knowledge factor). In the case of a lost ATM card, the user's accounts are still safe; anyone who finds the card cannot withdraw money as they do not know the PIN. The same is true if the attacker has only knowledge of the PIN and does not have the card. This is what makes two-factor verification more secure: there are two factors required in order to authenticate.
Note that if the ATM smartcard is merely a magnetic-stripe card it is copyable then the process is only two-step authentication but not two-factor authentication since the ATM is only verifying that the user knows the data encoded on the magnetic stripe (knowledge factor) and presented it in magnetic-stripe form. A smartcard with a chip performs a challenge/response authentication; the information transmitted from the card to the ATM is not the information required to duplicate the card's abilities.
Google's two-step verification process[edit]

Google was one of the first Internet companies which introduced a two-step verification process.[4] To access a Google service using the two-step verification process, a user has to go through the following two stages:[5][6]
The first step is to log in using the username and password. This is an application of the knowledge factor.

The implementation of the second step requires a mobile phone or the Google Authenticator application, which is an application of the knowledge factor. If the user opts to use a mobile phone, he/she has to register his/her phone number with Google. When one attempts to authenticate with username and password, Google will send via SMS a new, unique code to the phone. Receiving the SMS demonstrates that the user knows the phone's IMEI, which is sufficient to convince the phone network to direct the SMS to the attacker.

If the user opts to use the Google Authenticator (or another supported code generator application),[7] he/she simply opens the application, which generates a new code every 30 seconds. This code is to be entered to complete the log in process. As a backup option in case the registered mobile phone or device running Google Authenticator is lost, stolen, or otherwise unavailable, the user can print a set of static single-use backup codes (also the knowledge factor) and store them in a safe place.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jerical13

Activity: 266

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 12:03:09 AM

Guys I need some links for educating someone in NXT!

Is there any concerted effort being made to compile information to a single, comprehensive source? there are a lot of places to find info, and a lot of people putting out info, it may be a good idea and a good time for there to be an effort to consolidate and reorganize usable information to a single and definitive source and to coordinate this effort between the people who are working on it. There is so much info out there in so many sources, and in so many forms and styles that it is kind of confusing and really a lot of work to self educate on NXT; And there is no form of cohesion or method to its structure. There IS no single article, blog, interview, podcast, forum thread or any other media source that does it justice as a stand alone source of info. Anon136 was posting last night about how he felt he had given a bad interview on NXT, but that only stands to reason, as the nature of NXT makes it impossible to be educated on in a brief info session, and the lack of cohesiveness in the information that is available only serves to magnify this. It may be a good time to start a coordinated effort to supply a source of info that is more unified, accurate, and complete and is organized in a way as to accommodate specific targeted audiences (technical information seekers, and basic information seekers). I think it would serve the community better and make it seem like we had our stuff together a little more to pursue this. I have come into the community just recently and have spent a lot of time looking, and bugging people with questions to learn about NXT, and this has made me aware of this chink it the NXT armor. I think there is a lot of good info out there, and a lot of talented people who know a lot about NXT and care a lot. But with the way that NXT has grown and with the way that info about it is dispersed as a result of that growth it might be a good Idea to supply a more easy to access, consolidated source of info. Get everyone on the same page so to speak. If there were a group effort, coordinated and outlined for that purpose I think it would be beneficial to the growth of NXT, and would not burden one person with such a daunting task.

if there is an effort to do so, I would like to help if there is help needed. If there has not been such an effort I would like to suggest it and offer help.

Something like a NXT secretary, scribe, or archivist?
Yes. Something to compile existing info, clarify, update and fill in gaps or make more accurate. And also index info for easier access by different demographics. Now that it seems as though the structure of the network is coming together solidly, and details are being be made more concrete. It would be advantageous to have a ready supply of easily accessed info assembled. If there isn't something already. There is a lot more to NXT than it being a coin; it is capable of a lot more. I don't want the fact that people can be lazy and the fact that this info takes effort to find, sort through and digest to create an impression on people that it is just a coin. We should spoon feed the info and impression we want to make, and keep people from having to search around; eliminate redundancy, and provide info that is accurate and concise and propagates NXT in a light of the community interest.

Threads

http://www.nxtcoins.nl/bitcointalk-threads/

Overall Activity

http://www.nxtcoins.nl/50-2/

Damelon does a great job keeping everything in order.

I think the format of what Damelon is doing is exactly what I was talking about. I read his blogs sometimes when they are posted on facebook, didn't realize there was an ongoing library on this site. There should be a link to his blog on the NXT website. I like how there is an indication at the top of the blog indicating it's topic relevance and in a sense its technical and difficulty level. I would suggest putting info on there that is more basic and descriptive of NX;. Stuff aimed at audiences who are new to NXT or new to cryptos entirely, and more advanced technical stuff aimed at audiences who are in need of that type of info, as an improvement on what he has done. His work is NXT grad student. It would be nice to have Nxt undergrad and NXT college prep and NXT doctoral work in the same location and in the same format as what he is doing, and to have that site be the go to site for info. That would be a perfect example of my meaning. I have read Damelon's stuff as I stated previously and it has helped me, but some of it above my level of knowledge as I am not so indoctrinated, and in his own work he admits his own lack of indoctrination in the highly technical. No offense to Damelon, as his work is really done well. He is a propaganda master. But he is doing relativity and quantum mechanics. There is no Sting theory. There is no Newton. Not a knock to Damelon or a knock to anyone else who has been doing this kind of stuff. It is just that the topic of NXT is so vast. As much as I am in love with the thought of decentralizing the NXT economy as much as possible, I like the idea of centralized NXT information. I guess that is what my point is. If more basic info and more tech info were added to what he is doing, coupled with the format he is using that allows for updating and audience targeting, when someone asked for a place to look to learn about NXT they could be directed there and would have to look no further. They could go there and easily index information at a level that they could grasp with out having to search all over the place, sift through info that they are not capable of understanding or info that is elementary and redundant to them. Information that would highlight NXT to our communities advantage and indoctrinate in the ways of NXT.
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 12:05:33 AM

@Jerical13:

Please use some punctuation, paragraphs, line breaks etc......your block of text approach is doing my nut in.

Like what u say, just break it up a bit....

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
Jerical13

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 12:12:51 AM

Guys I need some links for educating someone in NXT!

Is there any concerted effort being made to compile information to a single, comprehensive source? there are a lot of places to find info, and a lot of people putting out info, it may be a good idea and a good time for there to be an effort to consolidate and reorganize usable information to a single and definitive source and to coordinate this effort between the people who are working on it. There is so much info out there in so many sources, and in so many forms and styles that it is kind of confusing and really a lot of work to self educate on NXT; And there is no form of cohesion or method to its structure. There IS no single article, blog, interview, podcast, forum thread or any other media source that does it justice as a stand alone source of info. Anon136 was posting last night about how he felt he had given a bad interview on NXT, but that only stands to reason, as the nature of NXT makes it impossible to be educated on in a brief info session, and the lack of cohesiveness in the information that is available only serves to magnify this. It may be a good time to start a coordinated effort to supply a source of info that is more unified, accurate, and complete and is organized in a way as to accommodate specific targeted audiences (technical information seekers, and basic information seekers). I think it would serve the community better and make it seem like we had our stuff together a little more to pursue this. I have come into the community just recently and have spent a lot of time looking, and bugging people with questions to learn about NXT, and this has made me aware of this chink it the NXT armor. I think there is a lot of good info out there, and a lot of talented people who know a lot about NXT and care a lot. But with the way that NXT has grown and with the way that info about it is dispersed as a result of that growth it might be a good Idea to supply a more easy to access, consolidated source of info. Get everyone on the same page so to speak. If there were a group effort, coordinated and outlined for that purpose I think it would be beneficial to the growth of NXT, and would not burden one person with such a daunting task.

if there is an effort to do so, I would like to help if there is help needed. If there has not been such an effort I would like to suggest it and offer help.

Something like a NXT secretary, scribe, or archivist?
Yes. Something to compile existing info, clarify, update and fill in gaps or make more accurate. And also index info for easier access by different demographics. Now that it seems as though the structure of the network is coming together solidly, and details are being be made more concrete. It would be advantageous to have a ready supply of easily accessed info assembled. If there isn't something already. There is a lot more to NXT than it being a coin; it is capable of a lot more. I don't want the fact that people can be lazy and the fact that this info takes effort to find, sort through and digest to create an impression on people that it is just a coin. We should spoon feed the info and impression we want to make, and keep people from having to search around; eliminate redundancy, and provide info that is accurate and concise and propagates NXT in a light of the community interest.
here you have 30 pages about Nxt created from weeks of archivist works Cheesy (Nxt Myths)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwAGADgnQcrtM3g1cU1VSHZtTGM/edit?usp=sharing

Is this work on going? seems as though it is a discontinued project.
Damelon
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 12:14:30 AM

I think the format of what Damelon is doing is exactly what I was talking about. I read his blogs sometimes when they are posted on facebook, didn't realize there was an ongoing library on this site. There should be a link to his blog on the NXT website.

I like how there is an indication at the top of the blog indicating it's topic relevance and in a sense its technical and difficulty level. I would suggest putting info on there that is more basic and descriptive of NX;.

Stuff aimed at audiences who are new to NXT or new to cryptos entirely, and more advanced technical stuff aimed at audiences who are in need of that type of info, as an improvement on what he has done. His work is NXT grad student. It would be nice to have Nxt undergrad and NXT college prep and NXT doctoral work in the same location and in the same format as what he is doing, and to have that site be the go to site for info. That would be a perfect example of my meaning.

I have read Damelon's stuff as I stated previously and it has helped me, but some of it above my level of knowledge as I am not so indoctrinated, and in his own work he admits his own lack of indoctrination in the highly technical. No offense to Damelon, as his work is really done well. He is a propaganda master.

But he is doing relativity and quantum mechanics. There is no Sting theory. There is no Newton. Not a knock to Damelon or a knock to anyone else who has been doing this kind of stuff. It is just that the topic of NXT is so vast. As much as I am in love with the thought of decentralizing the NXT economy as much as possible, I like the idea of centralized NXT information.

I guess that is what my point is. If more basic info and more tech info were added to what he is doing, coupled with the format he is using that allows for updating and audience targeting, when someone asked for a place to look to learn about NXT they could be directed there and would have to look no further.

They could go there and easily index information at a level that they could grasp with out having to search all over the place, sift through info that they are not capable of understanding or info that is elementary and redundant to them. Information that would highlight NXT to our communities advantage and indoctrinate in the ways of NXT.

You're not bashing me at all: you're giving me helpful pointers Smiley

I líke the idea of topics ordered according to "school levels".

I won't be able to make the university parts, but I can do the simpler stuff, like explaining why cryptos exist in the first place. That even gives me the opportunity to go into the philosophy behind it, which is fun!

I have been thinking about doing stuff like that anyway, but needed a format, and you just provided it, so thanks!

This is exactly why I like this thread, by the way. This wouldn't have come up if it wásn't such a chaotic place Wink

Member of the Nxt Foundation | Donations: NXT-D6K7-MLY6-98FM-FLL5T
Join Nxt Slack! https://nxtchat.herokuapp.com/
Founder of Blockchain Workspace | Personal Site & Blog
jl777
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 12:20:36 AM

-Implemented Curve25519 algorithm:
  * NXT Solaris is now a bit like "Electrum for NXT" (a thin client that does not download the complete blockchain, connecting to untrusted NRS nodes)

Very cool I think this is what the community has been needing to really help adoption.  But lets talk about this from a trust and sustainability perspective...  I had initially thought that eventually, all the public VPSs that I and others have been running with donated funds would no longer be needed when the network got large enough with mass mass adoption. But with thin clients, there will *have* to be something stable for them to connect to.  Assuming NXT really takes off like we want it too, are we prepared (and is the centralization really even appropriate) to continue running a core of  public hallmarked VPSs for the purposes of servicing thin clients?  IF that is the desire, then at some point this sort-of-centralized network of public VPSs we have now will need funds to renew (I believe the 12 I am paying for with bounty should be good till EoY, and the other 13 that I manage are up to the owners to continue payment) as well as possible additional fees for extra bandwidth and CPU/memory upgrades if they end up getting hit hard for utilization.

Is there a better non-centralized model? Or am I too paranoid?  Do we just continue the current course?
I think we will always need the NXT hubs, especially to have the ability to handle high TPS. If people lease their forging across all the NXT hubs, then we will have high percentage of the stake forging. With the high TPS, even .01 NXT fees will add up and should be enough to pay for the server costs.

I also envision the NXT hubs running a layer of NXT services (like the gateway), which will also generate enough fees to pay for costs, possibly a lot more.

Alternate models are selling data subscription services that the NXT hubs provide, eg. full blockchain, etc.

James

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 12:26:27 AM

Once again, someone needs to clarify some things for me. Please correct the following process, it could be total bullshit:

1. James uses AE + AM and three servers to make a gateway for external coins
2. Sending DOGE to the gateway triggers an automated process to send DOGE assets from the Nxt accounts of the servers to the sender's Nxt account
3. Sending DOGE assets back to the gateway triggers the servers to send DOGE coins back to a DOGE address
You got it!
Each gateway server runs its own bitcoind.
Deposits are handled independently by each gateway and swept into a 2 of 3 multisig acct
Withdrawals require all three gateways to generate the identical rawtransaction bytes, which will only happen if all three bitcoind's are in full agreement as to the state of the multisig acct.

You establish a deposit address and a withdrawal address. This only needs to be done once, but can be done more often.

Now, you have a deposit address that links directly into NXT AE "My Assets". Send coins to the deposit address and they automatically end up inside NXT.

For withdrawal, transfer the coin asset back to the gateway (or issuer) and it will get sent to your withdraw address, automatically. That is assuming that all three servers agree and at least two of them signoff on it

James

P.S. The way it is setup any bitcoind fork crypto can easily be added to the gateway

Jerical13

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 12:28:13 AM

Just read this and it's a very inspiring article.
Required reading for anyone who wants to know the power of AE.

That is what I'm saying!!! We have been given a gift by BCNxt and (I'll probably catch hell over this) the original stake holders of NXT. NXT is the Hulk Hogan of cryptos......

"WATCHA GONNA WHEN THE AE AND A MILLION NXT MANIACS COME DOWN ON YOU BROTHER?"
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 12:31:28 AM

Nr 1 PC blew out it's PSU this time yesterday. Much diagnostics and wiring later.....
Here I am again, on top of this Everest of a thread once more.

I think we should keep it, btw, it's become such a central feature of NXT for me and many others.
I do also think we should make an effort to hive more information off to the other 2 fora, keep them populated and allow small group, focused discussions, with an easy overview of specific topics.

man keeping up with this thread is a third job

+10

Few thoughts about things:

Voting. I cant believe that anyone would seriously propose to exclude annoying people from voting. Looking at u, eMule.....
If he/she/it fulfils the criteria, let 'em vote. And eMule made a joke recently, too:

I would like to have an audit on the DGEX exchange to prevent mtgox scenario!

I lol'ed, a bit....

MintPal. Got to give them credit for being straight about their inability to implement NXT:
Hi Guys,

Just an update on the NXT market at MintPal. We really regret to say that we won't be able to add it. While our scripts were largely working, we simply didn't have the confidence or understanding required for it, in comparison to Bitcoin and other altcoins, especially when it comes to handling trading.

We will be refunding all voting payments in 48 hours automatically, though you can contact us if you require an alternative arrangement.

Full announcement here - https://support.mintpal.com/index.php?module=announce&sec=view&id=7

They get my vote for honest crypto types of the week. In a world of scammers, I appreciate the honesty.
Pity for them that NXT AE is about to make exchanges completely obsolete....
I present: the amazing jl777 and his performing Doge gateway. Take my hat off to you mate. +all

Open source. NXT rules.
I have made the current source code repository public:

https://bitbucket.org/JeanLucPicard/nxt/

Master branch is still 0.7.6, develop is 0.8.3 plus latest unreleased changes.

Engage....one month early.

Seriously, I have a feeling that NXT is about to catch another wave in the next week or two. Things are going to move very quickly.....

And thanks for the votes for Infrastructure Committee so far, it'll be an honour to serve. (probably)

I'm going to upgrade VPS and private nodes in the next hour or so. Any 8.3 issues yet?

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 12:31:37 AM

I did see one case where I submitted a transaction to the dogecoin network but it just never appeared. I am not sure what to do in this case as when I tried to resubmit it, I kept getting error -22, eg. you already sent that transaction. due to the requirement that all servers generate identical rawtransactions, once one server gets in a confused state, it will take some fiddling to sync all three servers again. This is why I am thinking it will take a while before this is production ready. Just need to make all the gateway management tools.

does anybody know how often bitcoin blockchains are rolled back? How much time to be sure it wont be? For larger deposits, I am thinking of issuing assets that cant be redeemed right away to limit exposure to blockchain rollbacks

James

James I used to work with 3 computers voting for chemical plant control, what we did there was if one computer got confused and was continually voting wrong it would take an update from one of the others and verify it with the other one and if both updates agreed it would reload itself with that copy.

I.e. the continually 'wrong' node would update itself by cloning one of the other 2 (which were agreeing) and verifying itself with the one it didn't clone from, as the other two were agreeing they should be identical and therefore after the clone all 3 are then in sync again.

Don't know if that helps you resolve the confused state.

If you ever get in the state that all 3 nodes do not align then this is a critical state and requires human intervention but I'm sure you know this.
I dont really want to be overwriting the bitcoind on one gateway with the versions from the other gateways. I think what happened was that one of the gateways got on a fork, so if this happens, then all withdrawals would stop until all three are back on the same fork. By having three gateways geographically separate, if all three are on the same fork, I think that is pretty good assumption that it is the right fork.

After thinking about it, we really dont want to be processing any withdrawals when we are on a fork. I still dont know what sort of cases I need to handle as far as blockchain rollbacks. How frequently do they really happen and most importantly how far back? All transactions (deposits and withdrawals) that happened after the rollback point would be undone. But deposits -> NXT asset -> NXT -> external exchange -> BTC could well have happened so, there clearly needs to be some sort of mechanism to deal with this.

Currently, I am thinking about issuing a slightly different asset for a large deposit, eg. BTC.hold. This is the same as BTC asset but it cant be withdrawn. BTC.hold would probably trade at a slight discount to unrestricted BTC. After we are sure that there wont be a rollback that affects a specific deposit, the users NXT acct would get the ability to convert BTC.hold into normal BTC asset. They would just send the BTC.hold back and get normal BTC asset back. The only issue I see with this is that somebody who trades for BTC.hold but doesnt deposit BTC himself wouldnt be able to convert it, he would have to sell it via AE. However, since he bought it via AE in the first place, maybe this isnt really a problem...

James

jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 12:32:24 AM

Who wants to develop a lightweight NXT tool for Windows or Mac, which sits just in your taskbar/menubar (see picture as a mockup)?
I'm no developer, so somebody needs to step up for this. But I could make a nice landing page for it Wink

Idea:
Installing and running this little tool should be hassle free. You can lookup your account, use main Nxt functions (like sending NXT, messaging), activate/deactivate forging right from the menu and you see some general blockchain stats.

That way, we could promote this little gadget as a simple and lightweight tool which runs smoothly in the background, forging for you (or not) and securing the Nxt network.

Wouldn't you and newcomers love this lightweight and unobtrusive tool which actively secures the Nxt network?

Here is a mockup with stolen elements of a famous UI Wink

(I posted this idea once (or twice) before but no dev wanted to do it yet)

I would like to have the nodecoin-qt take this form!
It would require forging to be enabled to "mine" nodecoins.
It will also be monitoring the NXT blockchain so it can perform peer reviews of gateway balances, NXTcash, etc.

I will be making a small C library that can be linked or compiled into anything, but I dont do GUI,so I need someone to add the user friendly installation and these tray icon things.

I open this project to bids. If you are able to do this, submit your bid on how much it will cost and if I like it, then the project is yours. It needs to be open source and either multiplatform (unix, mac, windows) or three different versions.

James

jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 12:35:36 AM

is testnet still down?

Jerical13

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 12:39:32 AM

Hi guys Smiley

Congratulations with NXT! Really great job of you all!

I made a video why I invested half my bitcoins into NXT. Hope u like it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ruYAxKeWxnM

(I'm an early investor in Bitcoin, see all my video's here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Marcdemesel/videos?shelf_id=1&view=0&sort=dd)

Welcome to the thread Smiley

Nice to see new people coming in and taking the time to introduce themselves.

Looking at the video now. Smiley

Hi, my name is James, and I am a Pisces, and I don't mean any offense but I have never ever been good at small talk. I think that the area of my brain that is responsible for social behavior is retarded, so if I come across as rude, it may be that you are mistaking rude for slightly retarded. Cheesy
Jerical13

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 12:47:42 AM

@Jerical13:

Please use some punctuation, paragraphs, line breaks etc......your block of text approach is doing my nut in.

Like what u say, just break it up a bit....

Sorry EvilDave. I will try to remember that.

"doing my nut in" LOL
mcjavar

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 01:06:48 AM

Hi Guys,

Just an update on the NXT market at MintPal. We really regret to say that we won't be able to add it. While our scripts were largely working, we simply didn't have the confidence or understanding required for it, in comparison to Bitcoin and other altcoins, especially when it comes to handling trading.

We will be refunding all voting payments in 48 hours automatically, though you can contact us if you require an alternative arrangement.

Full announcement here - https://support.mintpal.com/index.php?module=announce&sec=view&id=7

Very disappointing. Why did the other exchanges manage to add Nxt? For me it seems, that you want to better use your time by adding more btc clones as it is easy money for you...
jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 01:08:28 AM

http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/15/kickstarter-coins-2/?ncid=reddit_social_share

This article is describing something that sounds a lot like NXTcoins!

One nuance that might have escaped you (it did me at first) is that we dont even need a gateway for NXTcoins. Mined or issued, they immediately infuse NXT AE with additional capital, which is clearly a good thing.
Each NXTcoins gets priced directly in NXT and indirectly to all the cryptos that the gateway supports.

Create a NXTcoins and instantly get a built in decentralized exchange and conversion into dozens of other cryptos. As soon as we get fiat gateways into AE, add conversion to fiat for all the NXTcoins

James

sparta_cuss

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 01:11:06 AM

I was reviewing BCNext's plan as told by CfB here (http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/wiki/BCNext%27s_Plan), and again was pulled up short by this line.

"Selfish miners (those who only mine to earn fees) should be "removed" from the system. They are not interested in the success of Nxt and only want to cash out."

Have others already talked about what this might mean? How could/should such removal occur? There is a technical question about how to determine if an account is linked to productive, supportive assets, services, etc. And there is a followup question about how such removal occurs.

This is relevant to the fee discussion that has generated some heat here. But I am more interested in the philosophical question: what does it mean to support NXT? Does it only mean to create/buy/sell assets, second-order currencies, etc.?

(If I've missed the discussion, just point me to a post or thread, please. I didn't see this particular "removal" line addressed in the other forums.)

"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." - E.M. Forster
NXT: NXT-Z24T-YU6D-688W-EARDT
BTC: 19ULeXarogu2rT4dhJN9vhztaorqDC3U7s
Jerical13

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 01:26:06 AM

James,

I tried get a screen shot of the Bitgem client that I was talking to you about earlier and had no luck. Here is a link to download the client setup for it if you have time to check it out to see my meaning. http://cryptosource.org/bitgem-mandatory-update-released/

It allows for holding several types of coins with several types of values, (you will see). my thought was that this type of wallet (if possible to do) would let NXT users keep the coins that came through your gateway in the NXT network to be sent and received, and increase the number of transactions and fees to our network instead of sending them back to their original network (In a sense hijacking them). It could also let them send and receive regular AE assets (which would be handy for using the AE assets as sub-currencies NXT currency). It may also make the AE less cumbersome to use as once people purchased an asset they could spend it through their wallet and not the AE. If it is possible it would really compliment the gateway you are working on. If you have some time to kill maybe check it out and see what you think.

Also I was wondering about fees for your gateway. Will there be fees for the holding account? Will they be the same as regular NXT transactions?

Damelon
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 01:30:11 AM

I was reviewing BCNext's plan as told by CfB here (http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/wiki/BCNext%27s_Plan), and again was pulled up short by this line.

"Selfish miners (those who only mine to earn fees) should be "removed" from the system. They are not interested in the success of Nxt and only want to cash out."

Have others already talked about what this might mean? How could/should such removal occur? There is a technical question about how to determine if an account is linked to productive, supportive assets, services, etc. And there is a followup question about how such removal occurs.

This is relevant to the fee discussion that has generated some heat here. But I am more interested in the philosophical question: what does it mean to support NXT? Does it only mean to create/buy/sell assets, second-order currencies, etc.?

(If I've missed the discussion, just point me to a post or thread, please. I didn't see this particular "removal" line addressed in the other forums.)

Basically, this discussion has been had over the last week.
It's immediately linked to forging payouts.

"Selfish" (although some, including me, prefer the term "passive") forgers will, if they are not rewarded more than "break even" for running a node, in all probability not run a node if they have other motives than earning "free Nxt".

"Active" forgers, ie. forgers that run a service, would do so, because it allows them to run their service, and cut out operating costs.

So, passive forgers would not be "cut out" in any active sense. It would just not be attractive in their terms to do so.

However, this discussion is still ongoing. James (jl777) for instance, has proposed methods for these people to earn coins by aggregating CPU power.

Member of the Nxt Foundation | Donations: NXT-D6K7-MLY6-98FM-FLL5T
Join Nxt Slack! https://nxtchat.herokuapp.com/
Founder of Blockchain Workspace | Personal Site & Blog
Jerical13

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 01:43:29 AM
Last edit: March 02, 2014, 02:01:32 AM by Jerical13

I think the format of what Damelon is doing is exactly what I was talking about. I read his blogs sometimes when they are posted on facebook, didn't realize there was an ongoing library on this site. There should be a link to his blog on the NXT website.

I like how there is an indication at the top of the blog indicating it's topic relevance and in a sense its technical and difficulty level. I would suggest putting info on there that is more basic and descriptive of NX;.

Stuff aimed at audiences who are new to NXT or new to cryptos entirely, and more advanced technical stuff aimed at audiences who are in need of that type of info, as an improvement on what he has done. His work is NXT grad student. It would be nice to have Nxt undergrad and NXT college prep and NXT doctoral work in the same location and in the same format as what he is doing, and to have that site be the go to site for info. That would be a perfect example of my meaning.

I have read Damelon's stuff as I stated previously and it has helped me, but some of it above my level of knowledge as I am not so indoctrinated, and in his own work he admits his own lack of indoctrination in the highly technical. No offense to Damelon, as his work is really done well. He is a propaganda master.

But he is doing relativity and quantum mechanics. There is no Sting theory. There is no Newton. Not a knock to Damelon or a knock to anyone else who has been doing this kind of stuff. It is just that the topic of NXT is so vast. As much as I am in love with the thought of decentralizing the NXT economy as much as possible, I like the idea of centralized NXT information.

I guess that is what my point is. If more basic info and more tech info were added to what he is doing, coupled with the format he is using that allows for updating and audience targeting, when someone asked for a place to look to learn about NXT they could be directed there and would have to look no further.

They could go there and easily index information at a level that they could grasp with out having to search all over the place, sift through info that they are not capable of understanding or info that is elementary and redundant to them. Information that would highlight NXT to our communities advantage and indoctrinate in the ways of NXT.

You're not bashing me at all: you're giving me helpful pointers Smiley

I líke the idea of topics ordered according to "school levels".

I won't be able to make the university parts, but I can do the simpler stuff, like explaining why cryptos exist in the first place. That even gives me the opportunity to go into the philosophy behind it, which is fun!

I have been thinking about doing stuff like that anyway, but needed a format, and you just provided it, so thanks!

This is exactly why I like this thread, by the way. This wouldn't have come up if it wásn't such a chaotic place Wink

Right on.
Pages: « 1 ... 1917 1918 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 [1967] 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: