Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:48:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 [1993] 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 2035 2036 2037 2038 2039 2040 2041 2042 2043 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761526 times)
bitcoinpaul

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 04:44:33 PM

I corrected my post.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
drsnuggles

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 04:46:00 PM

Question about forging: what happens to a forging NRS server, if you open NRS without logging in? Does it keep on forging, or does it reset?
It keeps forging.
Thanks!
drsnuggles

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 04:51:14 PM

When I try to start the API server on 7876 n localhost with SSL enabled, it crashes - is this maybe a reason for the testnet problems?
Code:
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/azure/workbench/nxt/keystore (Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden)
NRS can't find your key in the keystore. Try this:

Generate key, please choose your genkey the same as your keystore password. If not, you get keystore errors from NRS (bug/feature in NRS). Run this in console:
Code:
keytool -alias nxt -genkey -keyalg RSA -validity 365

Edit this at the end of nxt\conf\nxt.properties:
Code:
nxt.keyStorePath=/home/pi/.keystore	# change "pi" to the user you're logged to.
nxt.keyStorePassword=ThePasswordYouHaveChosen

Now start NRS and it should work Smiley
l8orre
Legendary

Activity: 1181
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 04:59:42 PM

When I try to start the API server on 7876 n localhost with SSL enabled, it crashes - is this maybe a reason for the testnet problems?
Code:
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/azure/workbench/nxt/keystore (Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden)
NRS can't find your key in the keystore. Try this:

Generate key, please choose your genkey the same as your keystore password. If not, you get keystore errors from NRS (bug/feature in NRS). Run this in console:
Code:
keytool -alias nxt -genkey -keyalg RSA -validity 365

Edit this at the end of nxt\conf\nxt.properties:
Code:
nxt.keyStorePath=/home/pi/.keystore	# change "pi" to the user you're logged to.
nxt.keyStorePassword=ThePasswordYouHaveChosen

Now start NRS and it should work Smiley

Thanks, will do!

grandpa_seth

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

Simcoin Puny Humans Communicator

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:01:23 PM

rickyjames thank you for your work with the committee voting. Your pm to me was the straw that broke the camel's back. It pushed my lazy buns
to read the candidates' statements and vote. Everyone who has been ignoring or putting this off vote now.

**Warning**
The following is a bribed endorsement:

I sincerely believe brooklynbtc needs to be on the marketing committee. Please read his statement https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=479167.msg5317734#msg5317734 . Even if you like the way marketing has been going so far we need someone with his point of view to balance things out. With the utmost respect, I do not like our marketing strategy thus far and do not believe it to be effective for what nxt is striving to be. If you agree then brooklyn needs to be in the house.

+1

Right now it's a little bit here and there. The work right now gets done, but where is the vision? There needs to be somebody above salsacz.

finally some people start to get it.

you need massive buying power to buy in to my fellow whales sell wals.

writting some article is good at one point but nxt is way past that point you need something more substantial right now.

but hey who am i, let the 40k/month guy solve it he is paid generously for it sadly no results

Nothing against salsacz at all. He is from what I can tell very professional and gets things done. Its just my opinion the direction is pointed the wrong way
and like bitcoinpaul said we need vision. A big picture type vision.

Emule likes what I said. I guess this means a 30 day ban from this thread for me. See you guys in April.
bitcoinpaul

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:04:34 PM

Nothing against salsacz at all. He is from what I can tell very professional and gets things done. Its just my opinion the direction is pointed the wrong way

I hope people like brooklyn gets on the committee. Salsacz is getting things done, yes. But now, we need more!

Emule likes what I said. I guess this means a 30 day ban from this thread for me. See you guys in April.
Grin
CoinTropolis_JustaBitTime

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:09:28 PM

I hope people like brooklyn gets on the committee. Salsacz is getting things done, yes. But now, we need more!

Grin

I've had some experience on big picture items for other projects:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=479167.msg5417724#msg5417724

Either way, we have some great people in the marketing department.
Jerical13

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:33:29 PM

What would differentiate a "Class A" asset from a "Class B" asset?

perhaps we could limit Class B Asset to not being able to have as many units/shares.

I see.

Although I like the idea, let us clarify what our goal is with this.

It's an interesting idea.

I think we should all remember BCNext's vision for NXT and his thoughts regarding fees.  I agree with BCNext wanting NXT fees to be low.  Imo, 1000 NXT for asset name registration is too high.  I think you should be able to register an asset name for 1 NXT.  By setting NXT fees high, we are excluding people from NXT because they cannot afford the registration price.  NXT should be for everyone.

you have to remember that what we are talking about here is self issued credit. i think its fair to expect that people who are issuing their own credit have SOME assets in reserve, leverage is good and useful but i don't think we want people leveraged at 0 percent.

I don't understand why not? Credit can't truly be self issued anyway. anyone can say "trust me, I am good for it" the credit is issued when someone else says, "OK, I trust you." at that point the fee is just inhibiting private business, which I am whole heartedly against. I can sort of understand the spam argument as a reason for a higher issuing price, as this potential for spam would have a universal effect on the whole community, But I highly disagree with using it as a means of policing private business, and that includes the name squatting arguments, the scam arguments. I could agree with raising trans fees for the AE, but I am with 2kewl on this. How are you going to charge NXT users more than people who are importing assets through gateways?

By charging such a fee anyone trying to sell anything on the market starts in the whole that much.Today About $50 bucks. So If you have something worth $100 it is not worth trying to sell. Really you would have to sell $1000 dollars worth of stuff to get the fee down to 5%. 5% is to high. Lower issue fees give more people more opportunity.

Think of the applicable uses this would eliminate. For example, If I were to want to sell a comic book collection by individual books, I would have to put a 1000 NXT mark up on every book. Any low cost per asset and high asset volume business would have no place on the AE.

Higher fees limit the versatility of the AE in the ways people can use it, restricts the number of users, and restricts the demographics of people who can use it. There are so many creative ways to use this feature if it is not restricted by high cost.

lyynx

Activity: 380
Merit: 275

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:38:28 PM

Just a couple of things I'd like to say after viewing many other threads throughout Bitcointalk Forums.

First, great job to everyone that has been doing their all to bring features to Nxt, your contributions are amazing. I wish I had the skillset to contribute to Nxt, but I am more marketing oriented and have rarely got past "Hello World"; in any script tutorial, lol

My statements here are more or less for the Committee's to consider once they get underway.

Now, I'd like to quickly address some things I see constantly mentioned regarding Nxt on the forums. I know we have a ton of features planned that will absolutely separate it from all other crypto's, however, I think we are still at the point where adoption by new comers is very difficult and here are their typical statements.

Nxt is too difficult to setup. As of February, I have to somewhat agree with them. Although I have had the NRS since it's inception, it becomes a bit more difficult each time to setup each update. I have always run via SSL, but since 8.0 (I think) this was dropped by default and there is a process to go through to get it working. I know we are moving towards actual clients at some point, however, as it stands today, it is very difficult to setup the NRS for a beginner. I know this to be true, since I have given some Nxt away to colleagues and all have had their issues setting up. Not to mention, even after getting it to work successfully, the amount of errors that appear in the cmd window would scare any new comer away.

Nxt Fees are too high. - I know we have discussed this and have plans in the future, but I think at some point we need to have a concrete plan in place that is very visible to new comers to see.

This might be the most misunderstood but important
Nxt Forging Security - I am not talking about passwords/brainwallets since we put that to rest a long time ago. However, I am really talking about what is the best way to have a client open to provide protection to the netowrk and potentially forge a transaction fee. For me, I'm not concerned about the fee at all, I simply want to participate while not putting my Nxt at risk. I already run a VPS that is managed by opticalcarrier, but if it's not hallmarked, what real benefit is it providing?

Also, in relation to this, if I were a new user and followed the directions provided by the wiki to begin forging, they would have no success, atleast with Chrome on Win 7. http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/wiki/FAQ#Forging "What does it mean to "leave my account unlocked"?" I know it's a wiki and anyone can edit, so I'm just bring it up.

Going live on Cryptsy can be a great thing for Nxt, however, we have to consider all the newbies that will be gracing the forums with the issues mentioned above.

On another note, I would like to connect with some people in the NY/NJ area, perhaps have a Nxt Meetup in the near future. I know jeffdiesel is in Brooklyn, are there any other's out there that would want to meetup in Manhattan?

wesleyh

Activity: 308

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:39:29 PM

perhaps we could limit Class B Asset to not being able to have as many units/shares.

I see.

I think we should all remember BCNext's vision for NXT and his thoughts regarding fees.  I agree with BCNext wanting NXT fees to be low.  Imo, 1000 NXT for asset name registration is too high.  I think you should be able to register an asset name for 1 NXT.  By setting NXT fees high, we are excluding people from NXT because they cannot afford the registration price.  NXT should be for everyone.

you have to remember that what we are talking about here is self issued credit. i think its fair to expect that people who are issuing their own credit have SOME assets in reserve, leverage is good and useful but i don't think we want people leveraged at 0 percent.

I don't understand why not? Credit can't truly be self issued anyway. anyone can say "trust me, I am good for it" the credit is issued when someone else says, "OK, I trust you." at that point the fee is just inhibiting private business, which I am whole heartedly against. I can sort of understand the spam argument as a reason for a higher issuing price, as this potential for spam would have a universal effect on the whole community, But I highly disagree with using it as a means of policing private business, and that includes the name squatting arguments, the scam arguments. I could agree with raising trans fees for the AE, but I am with 2kewl on this. How are you going to charge NXT users more than people who are importing assets through gateways?

By charging such a fee anyone trying to sell anything on the market starts in the whole that much.Today About $50 bucks. So If you have something worth $100 it is not worth trying to sell. Really you would have to sell $1000 dollars worth of stuff to get the fee down to 5%. 5% is to high. Lower issue fees give more people more opportunity.

Think of the applicable uses this would eliminate. For example, If I were to want to sell a comic book collection by individual books, I would have to put a 1000 NXT mark up on every book. Any low cost per asset and high asset volume business would have no place on the AE.

Higher fees limit the versatility of the AE in the ways people can use it, restricts the number of users, and restricts the demographics of people who can use it. There are so many creative ways to use this feature if it is not restricted by high cost.

Every book? You can set the amount of assets you want at creation, so you can set 1,000,000 assets to be created of your "BOOK". The cost is negligible. Anyway, I don't think this is meant to be used as an ebay. It will clutter up the assets as assets never expire.
brooklynbtc

Activity: 336

AKA jefdiesel

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:46:07 PM

Grin

Thanks for the endorsements, but it doesnt look like I have much of a chance. My name spelled wrong on the ballot isn't helping either..

I think Salsacz, and Damelon have done great work. Allwelder seems to have a strong connection to the Chinese market so thats important, and we all know joefox has done a lot with his interviews and the wiki.

I guess one thing I'd like to add for my platform, is that I strongly believe all marketing committee members should not be able to "fund themselves" or their own projects. I'd want them to create ideas, and have the backing, but the holding the bag and deciding where you spend it is scary for a community group like this.

I do want people to know that in the past two weeks I have been very active with the NXTopia project, and suggesting marketing ideas for NMAC, so my efforts are still deeply committed to NXT, just maybe from the "private sector"

I will be coming to the marketing committee for some funds for the April BTC conventions in NYC, and maybe these private sector projects as well

LONG ON NXT

SN
S   U   P   E   R    N   E   T
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   
Uniting cryptocurrencies, Rewarding talent, Sharing benefits..

Blockchain Technology.

grandpa_seth

Activity: 316

Simcoin Puny Humans Communicator

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:52:08 PM

Grin

I've had some experience on big picture items for other projects:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=479167.msg5417724#msg5417724

Either way, we have some great people in the marketing department.

For the record I think it goes without saying the positive things you and nifty have done for us are beyond a matter of opinion. I noticed there were times you posted great things that you have done and have not received acknowledgement. Maybe some of us are just used to you doing them. For that I'm personally sorry for not thumbs upping you more often.
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:54:59 PM

At what time the AE is launched?Huh

No planned yet.

Guys, is "Not enough funds" error still there?

Last time I used testnet, I had experienced an "insufficient funds" error when I

1. issued an asset
2. placed a sell order for my asset
3. cancelled the sell order for asset (funds returned to wallet)
4. tried to place another sell order for same asset
5. received "insufficient funds" error.
ChuckOne

Activity: 364

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 06:03:19 PM

rickyjames thank you for your work with the committee voting. Your pm to me was the straw that broke the camel's back. It pushed my lazy buns
to read the candidates' statements and vote. Everyone who has been ignoring or putting this off vote now.

**Warning**
The following is a bribed endorsement:

I sincerely believe brooklynbtc needs to be on the marketing committee. Please read his statement https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=479167.msg5317734#msg5317734 . Even if you like the way marketing has been going so far we need someone with his point of view to balance things out. With the utmost respect, I do not like our marketing strategy thus far and do not believe it to be effective for what nxt is striving to be. If you agree then brooklyn needs to be in the house.

+1

Right now it's a little bit here and there. The work right now gets done, but where is the vision? There needs to be somebody above salsacz.

finally some people start to get it.

you need massive buying power to buy in to my fellow whales sell wals.

writting some article is good at one point but nxt is way past that point you need something more substantial right now.

but hey who am i, let the 40k/month guy solve it he is paid generously for it sadly no results

I see. You do not like the '40k/month' guy. Cheesy
Emule

Activity: 168

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 06:05:36 PM

well if nobody listening this will hurt a little, dont blame me.... down we go!
antanst

Activity: 294
Merit: 260

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 06:06:02 PM

Nxt is too difficult to setup.

Yes, unfortunately it is...there are third-party clients that are easier to install, but the default one that most people use and trust is too difficult for a non-technical oriented user to install and run. Creating an installer that at least installs NRS and creates a shortcut to open the NRS URL should be among the top priorities for the project imho.

Nxt Fees are too high. - I know we have discussed this and have plans in the future, but I think at some point we need to have a concrete plan in place that is very visible to new comers to see.

The plan is to allow fractional amounts of NXT's. Once this is done, the fee will almost certainly be lowered.

For me, I'm not concerned about the fee at all, I simply want to participate while not putting my Nxt at risk. I already run a VPS that is managed by opticalcarrier, but if it's not hallmarked, what real benefit is it providing?

You are forging even if you are not running a hallmarked node.

Also, in relation to this, if I were a new user and followed the directions provided by the wiki to begin forging, they would have no success, atleast with Chrome on Win 7

What's the issue with Chrome on Windows 7?

Damelon
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 06:11:42 PM

Grin

Thanks for the endorsements, but it doesnt look like I have much of a chance. My name spelled wrong on the ballot isn't helping either..

I think Salsacz, and Damelon have done great work. Allwelder seems to have a strong connection to the Chinese market so thats important, and we all know joefox has done a lot with his interviews and the wiki.

I guess one thing I'd like to add for my platform, is that I strongly believe all marketing committee members should not be able to "fund themselves" or their own projects. I'd want them to create ideas, and have the backing, but the holding the bag and deciding where you spend it is scary for a community group like this.

I do want people to know that in the past two weeks I have been very active with the NXTopia project, and suggesting marketing ideas for NMAC, so my efforts are still deeply committed to NXT, just maybe from the "private sector"

I will be coming to the marketing committee for some funds for the April BTC conventions in NYC, and maybe these private sector projects as well

LONG ON NXT

I agree with this 100%. I have already said that íf I would have any plans (which I may) that would require funding, I would nót discuss or vote on them.
It's a choice I have made, and it may also mean that some projects may not even be possible to bring before the committee. So be it.

Also, the mandate for the committees is mainly for approval for plans brought before them, which máy extend to offering ideas for people to bring forward. Basically, they are just people who demand plans and financial underpinning, before releasing funds. This has already been voted upon.

I dó think that it would be in the remit of the committees to make it very well known that the funds are there for people to use! But mainly they are there to check and discuss and then decide. We already decided that the mandate did not extend to becoming centralised committees that "steer" Nxt.

On vision: I think most of us would agree on that. I would put "communication" even higher. I am quite sure that all of us have "vision", but we don't téll each other, which means people are not working together as well as they could.

Member of the Nxt Foundation | Donations: NXT-D6K7-MLY6-98FM-FLL5T
Join Nxt Slack! https://nxtchat.herokuapp.com/
Founder of Blockchain Workspace | Personal Site & Blog
opticalcarrier

Activity: 238

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 06:12:28 PM

holycrap AUR just keeps on moving up
Medion

Activity: 6

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 06:15:44 PM

I just came here to say that I support Nxt even after I lost all my BTC on Mt.Gox. Now Nxt are the only coins I have at the moment - not much though...
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 06:18:11 PM

I see.

ok so perhaps self monetized credit is a better way of saying it.

i mean how many of this one type of comic book would you have? you dont need to build a market for 1 or 2 items only. you just sell the one or two items on something like ebay. you only need a market in a product that you either produce or have a lot of.

also this helps to protect against domain squatting. thats a really big deal since the person who acquires a domain is the monopoly provider meaning he has the leverage to charge outrageous prices as soon as he knows that someone wants it. if we didnt put a price on it than people would go crazy and reserve every domain imaginable and anyone who wanted to issue an asset would have to pay CRAZY prices. The net effect of making asset registration cheap would be that getting the asset you wanted would be orders of magnitude more expensive than if there was simply a cost for registering to begin with.

*edit* incidentally i really like the idea of having tiers of asset classes. that gives us the best of both worlds.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Pages: « 1 ... 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 [1993] 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 2035 2036 2037 2038 2039 2040 2041 2042 2043 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: