Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:43:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 2236 2237 2238 2239 2240 2241 2242 2243 2244 2245 2246 2247 2248 2249 2250 2251 2252 2253 2254 2255 2256 2257 2258 2259 2260 2261 2262 2263 2264 2265 2266 2267 2268 2269 2270 2271 2272 2273 2274 2275 2276 2277 2278 2279 2280 2281 2282 2283 2284 2285 [2286] 2287 2288 2289 2290 2291 2292 2293 2294 2295 2296 2297 2298 2299 2300 2301 2302 2303 2304 2305 2306 2307 2308 2309 2310 2311 2312 2313 2314 2315 2316 2317 2318 2319 2320 2321 2322 2323 2324 2325 2326 2327 2328 2329 2330 2331 2332 2333 2334 2335 2336 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761521 times)
bitcoinpaul

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 08:35:43 PM

Don't know how this digital good store will work and look like. But right now, I would say all ideas like silkroad can be achieved by special clients which uses Nxt as the platform.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BrianNowhere

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 08:35:54 PM

More on Ripple vs. Nxt

When people here tell me to STFU about comparing Ripple's features to Nxt's it reminds me of a theoretical Burger King R&D Manager testing new fries recipe but shouting at their staff to stop comparing them to McDonalds fries, and to stop bringing up how McDonald's fries don't don't turn your teeth green and that this recipe costs $5 more per order to manufacture than McDonald's fries do.

If you don't want people to compare them, then come up with new ideas that haven't already been done by Ripple, or at least do those things better. I am seeing neither thing happen.

NXT: 4957831430947123625
xyzzyx

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

I don't really come from outer space.

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 08:35:59 PM

Did you know that both you and another member of this forum both misspell the same words the same way?

is that my fault

did you know your mother is lesbian?

Your formatting also matches.

do i look like i give a fuck what you think

i see some think i am pinarello thank you all for that compliment he left did he not?

I don't know if Pin will be back.  I did stick up for him, however.

"An awful lot of code is being written ... in languages that aren't very good by people who don't know what they're doing." -- Barbara Liskov
Emule

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 08:41:34 PM

sory got to go now have some selling to do you do not get rich that easy you know

se y'all tomorrow with price 0.0000001
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 08:42:33 PM

sory got to go now have some selling to do you do not get rich that easy you know

Ok sleep well sweet prince

jl777
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 08:47:42 PM

BrianNowhere, please put together a proposal to help Nxt find Java coders and submit it to the appropriate committee.

Considering how very much like Ripple Nxt is, I think it's pertinent. I have tried to offer solutions to at least get the thought process going but the developers are dismissive. I get the feeling of being talked down to whenever I bring up concerns and get the sense the feedback is not desired unless it consists of mindless praise and enthusiasm. I'm getting the feeling that anyone who is not a developer is viewed as an annoyance, especially anyone who has invested for speculative reasons, which is probably about 85% of Nxt holders.

Developers seem to have issues with speculators, who I believe they need dearly and are dismissive of at their peril. That's their right.
For the rest of us we'll vote with our feet, our wallets and our energy.

You should sell all your nxt and move to ripple. Live happy ever after.

Why keep repeating the same thing over and over about ripple? Almost everyone here knows about ripple and have used it.

I was responding to someone from earlier. And your reply only illustrates my point about the dismissiveness towards people who have legitimate concerns. I'm not the one who decided to make a multi-thousand page Jerry Seinfeld thread about nothing.

Last time I checked you don't speak for everyone who reads it and I am sure many people are unaware of what Ripple even is.

If you want people to stay on the topics of YOUR choosing then use a better format.
Brian,
You have asked the most intelligent questions about Ripple. There is a lot of FUD on ripple, just like with anything
For anybody that has done research into the capabilities, there are indeed undeniable similarities. Of course when you get right down to programming to the API, the details are very different.

However, there are rippled daemons running on servers (I used to run one) and you have client software talking to the daemons, or locally sign them and submit to a public server. Sounds familiar?

Ripple is not perfect. It is also not garbage. We can learn from what Ripple has done right and what it has done wrong.

I thank you for your deep questions about ripple. I made me analyze things from an angle I did not before. This can only be a good thing, to spur others thinkings.

Eadequa seems to like to complain a lot. I know he thinks I am good for nothing

James

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 08:53:51 PM

Hi,

I have a few questions: Smiley

1. Issue asset

http://localhost:7876/nxt?
     requestType=issueAsset&
     secretPhrase=SECRET&
     name=ASSETNAME&
     description=DESCRIPTION&
     quantity=QTY&
     fee=FEE&
     referencedTransaction=REFTX

Does one sends his own private key in the open??
(attacker might just need to activate WireShark on the attacked remote computer to sniff it...)

2. I read somewhere that BCNext had made a few tweaks to a well known elliptic curve algorithm.

Why did he do it? (one minus that I see is that It is not "proven" and we needed auditing).

3. Can someone send assets from one account to the other without going through the asset exchange? (for example from one account that I have to the other)

http://localhost:7876 localhost is your own computer using loopback. I dont think it even goes out on your LAN cable, just processed internally. So, unless your PC is compromised, no problems. However, if your PC is compromised to the point where the attacker has access to the loopback data, then you are already screwed

The "tweaks" were porting to Java, including an implementation bug. This bug has been identified and fixed and the code has been reviewed by Dr. Evil himself, aka Jesse James. Also, the encryption choices BCNext made were a bit ahead of time, now openssl is making the same type of choice.

There is the transferAsset API call that lets you send assets to any account

Mistafreeze

Activity: 898
Merit: 284

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 08:54:56 PM

My Bitcoin is ready  Grin
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 08:56:11 PM

More on Ripple vs. Nxt

When people here tell me to STFU about comparing Ripple's features to Nxt's it reminds me of a theoretical Burger King R&D Manager testing new product but shouting at their staff to stop comparing the new french fry recipe to McDonalds fries, and stop bringing up how McDonald's fries don't  don't turn your teeth green and don't cost $5 more per order to manufacture.

If you don't want people to compare them, then come up with new ideas that haven't already been done by Ripple already, or at least do those things better. I am seeing neither thing happen.

Ripple isn't for everyone, Nxt isn't for everyone.  As I stated in my previous post (which you didn't quote for some reason Smiley) Ripple is very centralized and at the mercy of their VC's and US Government regulation.  They are a corporation.  To me they don't have much crypto credibility, and I do know several people that work for Ripple Labs.  These guys are not passionate about Ripple, it's just a paycheck.  I personally am thankful we have Nxt as an alternative to Ripple, BTC, or whatever.  I think most people are annoyed by your Ripple posts, which are repetitive and don't really offer much.  Ripple is much more mature than Nxt, so it's like Apples and Oranges at this point.
BitcoinForumator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 08:57:48 PM

My Bitcoin is ready  Grin

jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 09:02:31 PM

More on Ripple vs. Nxt

When people here tell me to STFU about comparing Ripple's features to Nxt's it reminds me of a theoretical Burger King R&D Manager testing new product but shouting at their staff to stop comparing the new french fry recipe to McDonalds fries, and stop bringing up how McDonald's fries don't  don't turn your teeth green and don't cost $5 more per order to manufacture.

If you don't want people to compare them, then come up with new ideas that haven't already been done by Ripple already, or at least do those things better. I am seeing neither thing happen.

Ripple isn't for everyone, Nxt isn't for everyone.  As I stated in my previous post (which you didn't quote for some reason Smiley) Ripple is very centralized and at the mercy of their VC's and US Government regulation.  They are a corporation.  To me they don't have much crypto credibility, and I do know several people that work for Ripple Labs.  These guys are not passionate about Ripple, it's just a paycheck.  I personally am thankful we have Nxt as an alternative to Ripple, BTC, or whatever.  I think most people are annoyed by your Ripple posts, which are repetitive and don't really offer much.  Ripple is much more mature than Nxt, so it's like Apples and Oranges at this point.
Is there any documentation on how many non-ripple rippled servers are running? I think about half a dozen to a dozen. I also think all the validator servers are ripple run, but not sure.

However, their code is open source now and anybody can run a rippled server. I am not sure that the ripple protocol can be stopped once it gets adopted. Of course, that is the issue, NXT has been adopted by far more uncentralized nodes.

Also, the US Gov can end up seizing all 93 billion outstanding XRP. Not likely as I am sure they have made sure they have friends in the right places, but still a possibility

James

BrianNowhere

Activity: 70

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 09:05:25 PM

BrianNowhere, please put together a proposal to help Nxt find Java coders and submit it to the appropriate committee.

Considering how very much like Ripple Nxt is, I think it's pertinent. I have tried to offer solutions to at least get the thought process going but the developers are dismissive. I get the feeling of being talked down to whenever I bring up concerns and get the sense the feedback is not desired unless it consists of mindless praise and enthusiasm. I'm getting the feeling that anyone who is not a developer is viewed as an annoyance, especially anyone who has invested for speculative reasons, which is probably about 85% of Nxt holders.

Developers seem to have issues with speculators, who I believe they need dearly and are dismissive of at their peril. That's their right.
For the rest of us we'll vote with our feet, our wallets and our energy.

You should sell all your nxt and move to ripple. Live happy ever after.

Why keep repeating the same thing over and over about ripple? Almost everyone here knows about ripple and have used it.

I was responding to someone from earlier. And your reply only illustrates my point about the dismissiveness towards people who have legitimate concerns. I'm not the one who decided to make a multi-thousand page Jerry Seinfeld thread about nothing.

Last time I checked you don't speak for everyone who reads it and I am sure many people are unaware of what Ripple even is.

If you want people to stay on the topics of YOUR choosing then use a better format.
Brian,
You have asked the most intelligent questions about Ripple. There is a lot of FUD on ripple, just like with anything
For anybody that has done research into the capabilities, there are indeed undeniable similarities. Of course when you get right down to programming to the API, the details are very different.

However, there are rippled daemons running on servers (I used to run one) and you have client software talking to the daemons, or locally sign them and submit to a public server. Sounds familiar?

Ripple is not perfect. It is also not garbage. We can learn from what Ripple has done right and what it has done wrong.

I thank you for your deep questions about ripple. I made me analyze things from an angle I did not before. This can only be a good thing, to spur others thinkings.

Eadequa seems to like to complain a lot. I know he thinks I am good for nothing

James

Thanks man, and to Damelon as well. I understand how someone like me can get annoying, I really do. I'd feel a little irked if I just spent ten days coding something I thought was awesome only to have the first reply be "I don't like the blue border" or something like that.

I just thought that the purpose of the mega-thread was for brain-storming.

I like how damelon once said he even gets good ideas from Emule sometimes. That shows a lot of maturity to me and is one of the things that keeps me on board so far. I am also very impressed with your contributions and you can take some credit for my not panic selling the last day or so as I've come to realize many potential issues that I feel like only i can see. I'm at least waiting to April to see what that cold bright day has to offer.

NXT: 4957831430947123625
Eadeqa

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 09:06:43 PM
Last edit: March 19, 2014, 02:02:22 AM by Eadeqa

More on Ripple vs. Nxt

If you don't want people to compare them, then come up with new ideas that haven't already been done by Ripple, or at least do those things better. I am seeing neither thing happen.

Most here have used ripple   probably before you.  You aren't bringing any new information.  Ripple has 100 billion xrp and something  like 80% aren't yet even distributed.  Ripple is like the worst case of premine where the copany controls 100% from the start.

That's far worse than 73 stakeholders with 1 billion

Nomi, Shan, Adnan, Noshi, Nxt, Adn Khn
NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
https://github.com/Lafihh/encryptiontest
swartzfeger

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 09:07:46 PM

More on Ripple vs. Nxt

Just some quick thoughts:

Nxt criticism and comparisons are fair and necessary.

Having to walk over the corpse of a horse that has been flogged, page after page, doesn't mean I want to shut down your ability flog that horse. It just takes on the tincture of monomania, the eyes gloss over, and the user's posts go from being read, to having a cursory glance, to finally be scrolled past without a look. That's me. Maybe someone else here may find it helpful, but the Ripple repetition starts to lose relevance after it bears resemblance to a skipping record.

A Nxt vs. Ripple comparison is fair. If it bears repeating, ad nauseum, it may deserve its own thread.

New ideas? Do things better? Not seeing progress? What're you doing this week to build upon Nxt?

I think it's elitist to tell users 'what're you doing to improve Nxt?' People should be able to offer constructive criticism without having to lift a finger. But it's also grating to have people sit in the bleachers complaining about the team on the field.

Complain and offer solutions, complain with no solutions, get involved, lurk, leave, dump, hold... it's up to us.

Your offer for Java head-hunting was definitely appreciated.
godt

Activity: 87

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 09:10:50 PM

Time to buy more ?
arafel71

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 09:13:16 PM

We still need a couple Java guys to help CIYAM with AT code port and Parallel Blockchain, this should be a priority!  Please register at http://ciyam.org/open and help him.

+1
i start refactoring , any help welcome  , have more 1700 line C++ code to adapt (pointer, etc ...)  + many new method to develop
jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 09:13:22 PM

More on Ripple vs. Nxt

Most here have used ripple   probably before you.  You aren't bringing any new information.  Ripple has 100 billion xrp and something  like 80% aren't yet even distributed.  Ripple is like the worst case of premine where the copany controls 100 percentage  from the start.

That's far worse than 73 stakeholders with 1 billion
Actually it is much, much worse. Ripple has only distributed about 7 billion XRP so far. Thats 93% control after all this time. But they are distributing 1.25 million every day! In NXT terms that is 12,500 NXT faucet. Hmmm, in 45 years or so...

Also, I checked into other coins, like DRK. Actually an interesting improvement to coinjoin, but the first day of mining over half the current coins were mined. Something like 80% the first week.

I think they had much less than 73 miners. So all this distribution malarkey about NXT is quite bogus. All coins have this problem, except for nodecoin Smiley

James

jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 09:16:41 PM

Hi,

I have a few questions: Smiley

1. Issue asset

http://localhost:7876/nxt?
     requestType=issueAsset&
     secretPhrase=SECRET&
     name=ASSETNAME&
     description=DESCRIPTION&
     quantity=QTY&
     fee=FEE&
     referencedTransaction=REFTX

Does one sends his own private key in the open??
(attacker might just need to activate WireShark on the attacked remote computer to sniff it...)

2. I read somewhere that BCNext had made a few tweaks to a well known elliptic curve algorithm.

Why did he do it? (one minus that I see is that It is not "proven" and we needed auditing).

3. Can someone send assets from one account to the other without going through the asset exchange? (for example from one account that I have to the other)

http://localhost:7876 localhost is your own computer using loopback. I dont think it even goes out on your LAN cable, just processed internally. So, unless your PC is compromised, no problems. However, if your PC is compromised to the point where the attacker has access to the loopback data, then you are already screwed

The "tweaks" were porting to Java, including an implementation bug. This bug has been identified and fixed and the code has been reviewed by Dr. Evil himself, aka Jesse James. Also, the encryption choices BCNext made were a bit ahead of time, now openssl is making the same type of choice.

There is the transferAsset API call that lets you send assets to any account

Thanks for the well written answers!

Yes, if my PC is compromised, attacker could simply activate sniffing soft on it and just wait for me to issue an asset... couldn't it be done via https?

You are right about the loopback

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/860626/does-a-connection-to-localhost-go-out-onto-the-network
must have been a lucky guess Smiley

msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 09:20:38 PM

I will buy all of your Nxt for Ripple. 
brooklynbtc

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

AKA jefdiesel

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 09:21:13 PM

MC Marketing committee proposal here

https://forums.nxtcrypto.org/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=880

Google doc with images here
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Y6WSK2gOMAXzQyvqytaDLXndeMD4UE0hijMNYUrJIms/edit?usp=sharing

Please take time to read and make suggestions for the MC.

Thanks!

jefdiesel MC

SN
S   U   P   E   R    N   E   T
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   
Uniting cryptocurrencies, Rewarding talent, Sharing benefits..

Blockchain Technology.

Pages: « 1 ... 2236 2237 2238 2239 2240 2241 2242 2243 2244 2245 2246 2247 2248 2249 2250 2251 2252 2253 2254 2255 2256 2257 2258 2259 2260 2261 2262 2263 2264 2265 2266 2267 2268 2269 2270 2271 2272 2273 2274 2275 2276 2277 2278 2279 2280 2281 2282 2283 2284 2285 [2286] 2287 2288 2289 2290 2291 2292 2293 2294 2295 2296 2297 2298 2299 2300 2301 2302 2303 2304 2305 2306 2307 2308 2309 2310 2311 2312 2313 2314 2315 2316 2317 2318 2319 2320 2321 2322 2323 2324 2325 2326 2327 2328 2329 2330 2331 2332 2333 2334 2335 2336 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: