Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:46:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 2456 2457 2458 2459 2460 2461 2462 2463 2464 2465 2466 2467 2468 2469 2470 2471 2472 2473 2474 2475 2476 2477 2478 2479 2480 2481 2482 2483 2484 2485 2486 2487 2488 2489 2490 2491 2492 2493 2494 2495 2496 2497 2498 2499 2500 2501 2502 2503 2504 2505 [2506] 2507 2508 2509 2510 2511 2512 2513 2514 2515 2516 2517 2518 2519 2520 2521 2522 2523 2524 2525 2526 2527 2528 2529 2530 2531 2532 2533 2534 2535 2536 2537 2538 2539 2540 2541 2542 2543 2544 2545 2546 2547 2548 2549 2550 2551 2552 2553 2554 2555 2556 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761527 times)
solarion

Activity: 966
Merit: 513

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:46:09 PM

happy to be on it if you're so blind that you cannot see the problem with this.

Don't get emotionally involved with your coin choice.

I actually agree with you. The built-in client can be confusing for people used to bitcoin and the it's clones. People don't read the dialog box at the login. You probably just hit entered without entering any passphrase. That client (which was supposed to be temporary) lasted way too long. It's sceduled to be replaced with this one in near future

http://nxtra.org/nxt-wallet/

Try that one and it won't let you make that mistake easily, as it will create the pass phrase for you.

Thank you for the non-insulting comment. Patience & tolerance seem to be lacking in this thread.

I think it's fair to say that if this client that I downloaded yesterday and ran on the most common os in mass use can screw up that badly at protecting me from myself then this coin is not for me and I will not bet on it's future adoption. Had this occurred late last year when this thing was new I could've excused this, but after months if this thing is still to dumb to protect people that re-use another's password then I have no hope for it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Daedelus

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:48:07 PM

I actually agree with you. The built-in client can be confusing for people used to bitcoin and the it's clones. People don't read the dialog box at the login. You probably just hit entered without entering any passphrase. That client (which was supposed to be temporary) lasted way too long. It's sceduled to be replaced with this one in near future

Try that one and it won't let you make that mistake easily, as it will create the pass phrase for you.

Thank you for the non-insulting comment. Patience & tolerance seem to be lacking in this thread.

I think it's fair to say that if this client that I downloaded yesterday and ran on the most common os in mass use can screw up that badly at protecting me from myself then this coin is not for me and I will not bet on it's future adoption. Had this occurred late last year when this thing was new I could've excused this, but after months if this thing is still to dumb to protect people that re-use another's password then I have no hope for it.

That's a bit rich, you just ignore my questions when I keep trying to help you.
solarion

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:48:47 PM

I DID VERIFY IT. Someone else's account number is *STILL* on my screen and it *STILL* matches the one cryptsy sent to.

It's not someone's else account. It's an account for "null" password.  If I hit enter without entering a pass phrase, I get the same account number 3791936988034107349

Nxt is a brain wallet.  

Private key = Sha256 (password)

Next sucks. totally. not. impressed.
Eadeqa

Activity: 644

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:49:51 PM

1593 or 1592 less the nonsensical minimum transaction fee.

PM me your Nxt account # associated with YOUR password and I'll send you 1593 later, I think you should at least stick around so you can try Asset Exchange and some other really neat features being released soon.

If you do follow his advice, don't choose your password. It needs to be very strong with 128-bit entropy

Try this client

let it create 12 word password (and save it) losing password means losing your account . It can be recovered.

Nomi, Shan, Adnan, Noshi, Nxt, Adn Khn
NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
https://github.com/Lafihh/encryptiontest
solarion

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:50:01 PM

You don't seem to get it. I understand what happened now. I just think this thing is a dead end if it's not any smarter than that.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 03:50:52 PM

I will give @solarion the *benefit of the doubt* rather than just "shooting him down in flames".

Yes - it is unfortunate that the "default" client doesn't stop you from entering an "empty" password (or a non-secure one for that matter).

As has been mentioned this will be addressed when the "new" client becomes part of the Nxt standard software.

Understand that early Bitcoin versions had even worse problems (gmaxwell has mentioned some of those) so always when using "alpha" software *be very careful*.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
solarion

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:51:28 PM

PM me your Nxt account # associated with YOUR password and I'll send you 1593 later, I think you should at least stick around so you can try Asset Exchange and some other really neat features being released soon.

If you do follow his advice, don't choose your password. It needs to be very strong with 128-bit entropy

Try this client

let it create 12 word password (and save it) losing password means losing your account . It can be recovered.

Thank you, there are entirely too many competitors to waste any more time on a product as unrefined as this one. I wish you guys well though.
Eadeqa

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:53:23 PM

Try this client

Thank you, there are entirely too many competitors to waste any more time on a product as unrefined as this one. I wish you guys well though.

Have fun (with all bitcoin clones).

See you.

NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:55:07 PM

The point of Nxt is to be able to access your Nxt from any computer at any location, so we can't have safeguards warning of duplicated password logins.  The best thing to do is memorize the last 5-6 digits of your account #, so that you know something is wrong if you enter the wrong passcode.
solarion

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:55:42 PM

I appreciate it bud, but I have the coin to spare. The loss is not a big deal to me. I was just excited to try out a coin with so much buzz behind it. I set up 5 other chains and funded new wallets yesterday on the same virtual machine and all went without a hitch. THEN I got to next. I might have just been tired by that point, but these problems seem pretty glaring to me.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 03:56:03 PM

...playing ALL stupid too...

Maybe so (notice I did not *offer him NXT*).

Sometimes it is best to just try and patiently explain things until they "sink in" rather than "getting upset" (this applies to both sides of course).

Even the "die hard supporters" must admit that Nxt is still *in alpha* and is nowhere near ready for "mainstream usage yet".

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:56:51 PM

Try this client

No worries, if you change your mind in the next 24 hours, PM me, otherwise the 1593 is going to Evil Dave.
solarion

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:57:19 PM

The point of Nxt is to be able to access your Nxt from any computer at any location, so we can't have safeguards warning of duplicated password logins.  The best thing to do is memorize the last 5-6 digits of your account #, so that you know something is wrong if you enter the wrong passcode.

I get that. Think I'd rather stick to coins with wallet.dat files and move coins to online wallets as necessary.
Daedelus

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 04:00:55 PM

You don't seem to get it. I understand what happened now. I just think this thing is a dead end if it's not any smarter than that.

So to summarise what you have said,
You created an account with a 6 word password and then verified the account it created (presumably by recording the account number).
You then stupidly (by your own admission) logged into the ‘null’ password account (you just pressed return at the enter passphrase screen).
You didn’t check the account number of the null password against the one you just created and transferred your NXT to the null account and then the bots stole them.

All accounts are accessible to all people in any location, provided you know the password. This is a brainwallet. Therefore, if you use an account with a weak password intentionally or not (i.e. one that has no password), your coins get stolen.

What don’t I get?
Eadeqa

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 04:01:39 PM

I will give @solarion the *benefit of the doubt* rather than just "shooting him down in flames".

Nobody shot anybody down in flames...  the situation has been explained plenty...  and he/she/it is STILL logged into the other account!?!?!    Angry

Do you really think everyone sees nxt on coinmarket site reads all the posts and wikis and everything? He downloaded the NRS first time, hit entered, and got into "null" account. This is how bitcoin clones work. I am sure he won't be the last one to make to make the same mistake. Look how many transactions the "null" account has

http://blocks.nxtcrypto.org/nxt/nxt.cgi?action=3000&acc=3791936988034107349

NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
solarion

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 04:02:58 PM

You created an account with a 6 word password and then verified the account it created (presumably by recording the account number).
You then stupidly (by your own admission) logged into the ‘null’ password account (you just pressed return at the enter passphrase screen).
You didn’t check the account number of the null password against the one you just created and transferred your NXT to the null account and then the bots stole them.

All accounts are accessible to all people in any location, provided you know the password. This is a brainwallet. Therefore, if you use an account with a weak password intentionally or not (i.e. one that has no password), your coins get stolen.

What don’t I get?

The GFY part. You missed it totally.
lucky88888

Activity: 404
Merit: 250

https://nxtforum.org/

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 04:03:29 PM

I get that. Think I'd rather stick to coins with wallet.dat files and move coins to online wallets as necessary.

then you didnt choose the right client!
https://nextcoin.org/index.php/topic,4525.0.html
offspring client supports wallet.dat for your passphrase.

Fuck Mt.Gox! Fuck Mintpal! Fuck Bter! FUCK kyc! Protect yourself use MGW! SUPERNET!
Recommended ASSET ->InstantDex : Lead Dev Jl777 (decentralized multi currency instant exchange)
Recommended ASSET -> Jinn : Lead Dev Come-from-Beyond (ternary processors!)
https://nxtforum.org/news-and-announcements/(ann)-jinn/
solarion

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 04:03:51 PM

Nobody shot anybody down in flames...  the situation has been explained plenty...  and he/she/it is STILL logged into the other account!?!?!    Angry

Do you really think everyone sees nxt on coinmarket site reads all the posts and wikis and everything? He downloaded the NRS first time, hit entered, and got into "null" account. This is how bitcoin clones work. I am sure he won't be the last one to make to make the same mistake. Look how many transactions the "null" account has

http://blocks.nxtcrypto.org/nxt/nxt.cgi?action=3000&acc=3791936988034107349

Precisely. Who ends up with those?
Daedelus

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 04:04:15 PM

What don’t I get?

The GFY part. You missed it totally.

GFY?
solarion

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 04:04:25 PM

then you didnt choose the right client!
https://nextcoin.org/index.php/topic,4525.0.html
offspring client supports wallet.dat for your passphrase.

I USED THE DIRECTIONS FROM PAGE ONE OF THIS THREAD.
Pages: « 1 ... 2456 2457 2458 2459 2460 2461 2462 2463 2464 2465 2466 2467 2468 2469 2470 2471 2472 2473 2474 2475 2476 2477 2478 2479 2480 2481 2482 2483 2484 2485 2486 2487 2488 2489 2490 2491 2492 2493 2494 2495 2496 2497 2498 2499 2500 2501 2502 2503 2504 2505 [2506] 2507 2508 2509 2510 2511 2512 2513 2514 2515 2516 2517 2518 2519 2520 2521 2522 2523 2524 2525 2526 2527 2528 2529 2530 2531 2532 2533 2534 2535 2536 2537 2538 2539 2540 2541 2542 2543 2544 2545 2546 2547 2548 2549 2550 2551 2552 2553 2554 2555 2556 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: