Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 11:54:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Banks get ready for virtual cash  (Read 1124 times)
Saturn7 (OP)

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 02:42:00 PM

"Leading financial institutions and experts are betting that virtual currencies such as those used in video games will become mainstream tender in the real world within three to five years."  Wink

http://afr.com/p/technology/banks_get_ready_for_virtual_cash_I7LI6KZ7wx9TXNwUKWuc9I#

First there was Fire, then Electricity, and now Bitcoins Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 02:42:44 PM

in videogames?  Roll Eyes

Saturn7 (OP)

Activity: 147

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 02:45:19 PM

It mentions bitcoin later, I guess there will be a difference between crypto cash and game cash like in farmville.
Like Gold is bitcoins and paper money would be equal to farmville cash.

First there was Fire, then Electricity, and now Bitcoins Wink
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 03:30:24 PM

It mentions bitcoin later, I guess there will be a difference between crypto cash and game cash like in farmville.
Like Gold is bitcoins and paper money would be equal to farmville cash.

I need to diversify into FarmVille cash. 

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 04:57:29 PM

Any onlooker who puts a real currency like Bitcoin in the same category as FarmVille cash has missed the point entirely. The fact that they're both "digital" is where the similarities end... and indeed both Bitcoin and FarmVille cash share the "digital" trait with USD and all other fiat. All money is digital these days - even "paper money" is just redeemable coupons for digital currency in your bank account. The only serious non-digital currency is gold/silver.

USD is actually more similar to FarmVille cash than BTC, because the former two are A) centrally controlled and B) can be created at whim - two crucial attributes, and far more important than that all three of these are digital.
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 05:09:00 PM

Any onlooker who puts a real currency like Bitcoin in the same category as FarmVille cash has missed the point entirely. The fact that they're both "digital" is where the similarities end... and indeed both Bitcoin and FarmVille cash share the "digital" trait with USD and all other fiat. All money is digital these days - even "paper money" is just redeemable coupons for digital currency in your bank account. The only serious non-digital currency is gold/silver.

USD is actually more similar to FarmVille cash than BTC, because the former two are A) centrally controlled and B) can be created at whim - two crucial attributes, and far more important than that all three of these are digital.
+1, exactly!

Comparing Bitcoin to "FarmVille cash" is symptomatic for the total lack of understanding and insight by these stone age bankers. Cryptography, P2P, decentralized, I guess most of them haven't got a single clue what these concepts are actually about. But I guess they'll find out soon enough. Cryptocurrency (and more specifically: Bitcoin) is here to stay.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 05:14:19 PM

+1, exactly!

Comparing Bitcoin to "FarmVille cash" is symptomatic for the total lack of understanding and insight by these stone age bankers. Cryptography, P2P, decentralized, I guess most of them haven't got a single clue what these concepts are actually about. But I guess they'll find out soon enough. Cryptocurrency (and more specifically: Bitcoin) is here to stay.

Or... they understand Bitcoin and its potential implications only too well, so are desperately trying to lump it in with Farmville cash, WOW gold and other "toy" currencies.
Fear
aka elbashadodo

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 12:56:10 PM

We know for sure that bank chiefs will try to control digital coins and if they don’t succeed, they’ll prohibit such coins at all. Governments are likely to support banks because of available taxes for the budget.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: