Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:43:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 99 »
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY FPGA Mining rig for any algorithm with fast ROI  (Read 99392 times)
B1tUnl0ck3r

Activity: 854
Merit: 277

liife threw a tempest at you? be a coconut !

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 02:14:48 PM

1500 watts (my self imposed limit, no reason i couldnt do more). its because i want the power efficiency and density that a fpga can give me. plus the versatility.

1.5 kw/h equivalent heat is already no small feat to dissipate... specially in mid range latitude in the summer Smiley.

When the people of the world will get that covid was intentionally released to frame china, steal the election from trump, assure massive bail outs and foster the forced vaccination agendas...they will forget, like 911, wmds in irak, uss liberty or pedogate.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
melpheos

Activity: 557
Merit: 5

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 02:32:57 PM

Look, it doesnt make sense. It will cost too much more, have very little to mine and be at the whim of the antminer E3 pricing basically lol.

Most important question. WHY just WHY do u wanna make an FPGA when one asic already controls 64% of GPU mining? A few asics control most of the GPU mining already.

And this FPGA u are doing is just another GPU. Why? Because anyone can do it. U make a slightly stronger GPU known as FPGA. All u need is abit of dumb money going in there and u make no profits due to high difficulty.

In my opinion, interest to FPGA can be short-term, when you need to mine a certain number of coins before the release of ASIC. Like a Groestl, Nist5 and others.
But a more fundamental interest may be to offer a useful proof of work function  which can also be ASIC-resistant.
By setting new standards for the usefulness of the POW function, we will strengthen mining on FPGA in the long term.
In the end, someone uses mega-FPGA cards in real life. For what? Amazon AWS earns with them, why not do the same?

Summary.

FPGA is not workable when one asic controls 64% of GPU mining market.
Lets say u use FPGAs and they now control 20% of remaining market via 8 algos.
One asic will appear and easily cut it to 15%. They will take the major coin away again...

Your FPGA is basically an antminer S7 and when new asic appears, it gets "downgraded" to be an S5. More FPGAs/GPUs will also join in the crowd as u earn less. U may not even be able to be profitable once it gets downgraded to S5. Do note that difficulty increase does not lower profit, it lowers REVENUE. So, u may go negative on mining once it "downgrades to an S5". I strongly doubt it will work because the asics are far cheaper and too much more efficient and majority of the market is centered around a few big algos.

This is not yet including the biggest problem which the E3 that can mine eth, which controls 64% of the GPU. It can keep pushing more GPU mining power to the coins u are mining.

No point I keep repeating. I find it conceptually just a horrible idea.

Hope to see transparency in numbers and figures to brave souls those who attempt this project. Good luck people Smiley
I think you don't get it.
FPGA are not here to compete with ASIC !!!
On ASIC controlled coin, only ASICs can rule.
FPGA are here to compete with GPU without the power consumption of the GPU and without the limitation of the ASIC.
My 24*1070Ti rig consumes around 3000w.
For the same price i can get 2FPGA that will consume 300w and have more than twice the performance. If the example on RVN stands, i would have 600Mh vs 288Mh for 1/10th of the power consumption.
At the current rate the revenue difference is 71$ vs 163$.
Over a year this is massive and you dont really have to convert your coin to fiat because the electricity cost can absolutely be paid ( 2600$ vs 262$)
Sandal_Hat

Activity: 462
Merit: 118

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 02:50:04 PM

Look, it doesnt make sense. It will cost too much more, have very little to mine and be at the whim of the antminer E3 pricing basically lol.

Most important question. WHY just WHY do u wanna make an FPGA when one asic already controls 64% of GPU mining? A few asics control most of the GPU mining already.

And this FPGA u are doing is just another GPU. Why? Because anyone can do it. U make a slightly stronger GPU known as FPGA. All u need is abit of dumb money going in there and u make no profits due to high difficulty.

In my opinion, interest to FPGA can be short-term, when you need to mine a certain number of coins before the release of ASIC. Like a Groestl, Nist5 and others.
But a more fundamental interest may be to offer a useful proof of work function  which can also be ASIC-resistant.
By setting new standards for the usefulness of the POW function, we will strengthen mining on FPGA in the long term.
In the end, someone uses mega-FPGA cards in real life. For what? Amazon AWS earns with them, why not do the same?

Summary.

One asic will appear and easily cut it to 15%. They will take the major coin away again...

Your FPGA is basically an antminer S7 and when new asic appears, it gets "downgraded" to be an S5. More FPGAs/GPUs will also join in the crowd as u earn less. U may not even be able to be profitable once it gets downgraded to S5. Do note that difficulty increase does not lower profit, it lowers REVENUE. So, u may go negative on mining once it "downgrades to an S5". I strongly doubt it will work because the asics are far cheaper and too much more efficient and majority of the market is centered around a few big algos.

This is not yet including the biggest problem which the E3 that can mine eth, which controls 64% of the GPU. It can keep pushing more GPU mining power to the coins u are mining.

Hope to see transparency in numbers and figures to brave souls those who attempt this project. Good luck people Smiley
FPGA are here to compete with GPU without the power consumption of the GPU and without the limitation of the ASIC.
For the same price i can get 2FPGA that will consume 300w and have more than twice the performance. If the example on RVN stands, i would have 600Mh vs 576Mh for 1/10th of the power consumption.
Over a year this is massive and you dont really have to convert your coin to fiat because the electricity cost can absolutely be paid ( 2600$ vs 262$)

No, it is u that dont get it. U ARE COMPETING with asics because asics will push difficulty to the coins u are mining. Profit margins for mining are thin these days. It is abit higher right now compared to 1-2 months ago due to recent price spike but that will correct soon as more hashrate enters market. U can always have an alt coin to mine but it is gonna make low or negative returns for u because of difficulty increase, which are pushed by asics from other coins.

U know wat. U just wait a few months. The antminer Z9 mini will push gpu miners out of zec and bitcoingold,etc. Those 2 are billion dollar coins. Lets see where those zec/btcgold gpu miners point their GPUs to. All other coins difficulty will go up. And the day a stronger ETH miner appears or the E3 gets sold cheaper, u will see a 78 billion gpu coin aka ETH get heavily flooded by asics. That will be the day u rue not thinking ahead. Your fpga will still work then and have coins to mine, but with very low profit or possibly negative profit.
Not sure wat your numbers will be but I dont believe u will be able to get any numbers on the fpga that make sense.

Anyways, do write your fpga experiment here perhaps Smiley

Selling 100 dollar coupons (8units expire 11th June, 14 units expire 1st july) and 125 dollar coupon (2 unit exp 30th June). Selling at 20% of value
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3506

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 03:03:49 PM

1500 watts (my self imposed limit, no reason i couldnt do more). its because i want the power efficiency and density that a fpga can give me. plus the versatility.

1.5 kw/h equivalent heat is already no small feat to dissipate... specially in mid range latitude in the summer Smiley.

thats one reason for my limit. currently my 7 card gpu rig draws 1100 watts and is in the basement. kept it nice down there last winter.

this year im going to get one of those grow tents with powered in and out vents to the basement windows and run it in that for summers.
HardwareCollector

Activity: 144
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 03:10:12 PM
Merited by suchmoon (1)

@Sandal_Hat

I am not sure what you are arguing about, it seems very odd.

You have two systems, one costs less and it’s 5x more efficient than the other, and they both do the same amount of work. So going with the system that is cheaper to buy and operate doesn’t make sense you say. Can you please tell me again why miners freak-out if they think an ASIC has been developed to mine their coin?

I will go back to work and take my crazy pills, and welcome to The Twilight Zone.
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 03:22:31 PM
Merited by suchmoon (1)

The major pitfall of ASIC is staticness. Which means that the work it is designed for cannot be updated or changed after. So the new strategy for beeing asic resistant, if to often change POW algorithm. It's a cat and mouse game.
So when coin dev choose to change their pow algorithm, like Monero dev did, those expensive and efficient piece of hardware are becoming useless except for blocking door (or targeting minor CN coins for less profit).
The ASIC doesn't need to be completely static to beat alternative implementations using GPUs or FPGAs.

Reconfigurable cryptographic processors are now fairly well developed field. The market for them was initially for network cryptographic accelerators for IPsec and SSL. It all started sometime before the turn of the century.

Here's a sample from the open scientific literature:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2090123217301170

Optimization of a novel programmable data-flow crypto processor using NSGA-II algorithm

but many such accelerators are developed in secret by the network hardware vendors.

Personally, I suspect that many "ASIC-resistant" algorithms are doomed to fail their goal because their designers just don't understand digital design and think that every possible hardware device must be some version of von Neuman architecture from 1945. But even in next decade (1950-1959) there were other architectural concepts developed that lead to significantly more efficient implementations at a cost of being less generic.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
Sandal_Hat

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 03:25:27 PM
Last edit: May 04, 2018, 03:42:18 PM by Sandal_Hat

Summary.

For the same price i can get 2FPGA that will consume 300w and have more than twice the performance. If the example on RVN stands, i would have 600Mh vs 288Mh for 1/10th of the power consumption.
================
A simpler illustration.
================

So, after a few weeks, it takes off, everyone buys a FPGA, just like how they buy a GPU. Difficulty rises. Breakeven is at around 11-15 months or so.
So,the FPGA mines 10 different non-asic coins.

Revenue - electricity cost = profits
255 - 104 = 151 USD profits (I am using current S9 numbers at 10cents electricity as rough example which are generous numbers considering recent btc price spike lol)

With this u calculate your break even at 13 months, for example. 13 months is generous here lol.

-----------------------------------------------

But an asic appears to take over the biggest coin. The biggest coin was 25% of all mining revenue.
So now, u can mine 9 non-asic coins only.
Revenue is now 255 x 0.75 = 191 USD (Difficulty increases cause 25% of mining revenue to be gone)

191 - 104 = 87 dollars (This is your new profit)

See the problem? Your breakeven is now 26 months All FPGA in that coin that got taken over by asic moves to the other coins.
One more of this occur and u may go to negative profit.

The problem is the FPGA community gets revenue taken away from them when new asic comes in to dominate the coin.

So for asics, difficulty rises as more asics get bought.
For FPGAs, difficulty rises as more FPGAs gets bought AND when new asic STEALS a coin. It is conceptually flawed badly. U will also spend more money producing this FPGA picemean over an asic produced mass market. I believe I used very generous numbers here as it is.
This is wat i mean by u are actually competing with asics.

Selling 100 dollar coupons (8units expire 11th June, 14 units expire 1st july) and 125 dollar coupon (2 unit exp 30th June). Selling at 20% of value
melpheos

Activity: 557
Merit: 5

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 03:28:40 PM

No, it is u that dont get it. U ARE COMPETING with asics because asics will push difficulty to the coins u are mining. Profit margins for mining are thin these days. It is abit higher right now compared to 1-2 months ago due to recent price spike but that will correct soon as more hashrate enters market. U can always have an alt coin to mine but it is gonna make low or negative returns for u because of difficulty increase, which are pushed by asics from other coins.

U know wat. U just wait a few months. The antminer Z9 mini will push gpu miners out of zec and bitcoingold,etc. Those 2 are billion dollar coins. Lets see where those zec/btcgold gpu miners point their GPUs to. All other coins difficulty will go up. And the day a stronger ETH miner appears or the E3 gets sold cheaper, u will see a 78 billion gpu coin aka ETH get heavily flooded by asics. That will be the day u rue not thinking ahead. Your fpga will still work then and have coins to mine, but with very low profit or possibly negative profit.
Not sure wat your numbers will be but I dont believe u will be able to get any numbers on the fpga that make sense.

Asics do not push difficulty on the coins on which there are no asic. Asics drive away GPU on coin that can be mined by Asic.
Difficulty is pushed by the additional GPU leaving the Asic mined coin. As a result you are competing with GPU, not asics. You are just trying to do word play and circumvolated logic.
Eventualy, you could say that you are competing with Asic by proxy but not directly.

Still, on the coin you are mining, you are competing with GPUs.
With your FPGA, you are more profitable than GPUs.

Sandal_Hat

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 03:31:39 PM

Asics do not push difficulty on the coins on which there are no asic. Asics drive away GPU on coin that can be mined by Asic.
Difficulty is pushed by the additional GPU leaving the Asic mined coin. As a result you are competing with GPU, not asics. You are just trying to do word play and circumvolated logic.
Eventualy, you could say that you are competing with Asic by proxy but not directly.

[/quote]

Read post 268. That is one of the points. I dont wanna repeat the others points lol.
I dont even know wat u mean by word play.
SIA gpu miners got kicked out of SIA when asics appear and soon zec/btcgold will be the same. It is a losing battle. I guess it may take the E3 to be sold cheap to convince some of u. It has to occur first I guess.

DigitalCruncher

Activity: 59
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 03:35:07 PM

This is a quote from someone else's message. I don't like it.
Sandal_Hat

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 03:35:13 PM

@Sandal_Hat

You have two systems, one costs less and it’s 5x more efficient than the other, and they both do the same amount of work. So going with the system that is cheaper to buy and operate doesn’t make sense you say. Can you please tell me again why miners freak-out if they think an ASIC has been developed to mine their coin?

I will go back to work and take my crazy pills, and welcome to The Twilight Zone.

lol, u dont have a 5x more efficient system. U just need 2x more efficient system on ethereum and u will make millions. U are just plucking things out of thin air lol

Sandal_Hat

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 03:38:01 PM

This is a quote from someone else's message. I don't like it.

Yep, is mine. Not sure how this occured at post 269 onwards. Not my post.
I fixed mine somewhat to remove your name. Anyways I leave it at that.

And looking forward to seeing the experiment by some of u brave folks.

HardwareCollector

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 03:41:13 PM

@Sandal_Hat

lol, u dont have a 5x more efficient system. U just need 2x more efficient system on ethereum and u will make millions. U are just plucking things out of thin air lol

WTF?
Sandal_Hat

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 03:45:23 PM

@Sandal_Hat

WTF?

Wat u mean by wtf? U make baseless claims.

U claim u can make an FPGA that is 5x more efficient than a GPU.
For ETH, the asic is only a little bit more efficient than GPU but cheaper to produce. And this is after god knows how much spent on research.
If u can make an ETH miner that is just 2x more efficient than GPU, u would be super rich .
I believe u cant do that and your cost of producing any FPGA will be sky high, among other things.
If anyone can find some quirk in an algo to mine it 5x better, it will be expensive anyways. Not cheap to be sold to others. It will probably take some time to get it done as well. Baikal does fpga and they seem to take time to get things done also.  
Well, billionaire asic manufacturers couldnt  do this. If u can, then pls, go ahead and do it Smiley

How fast can u try get this project up and going. 2-3 weeks?

HardwareCollector

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 03:49:42 PM

@Sandal_Hat

WTF?

For ETH, the asic is only a little bit more efficient than GPU but cheaper to produce.
If u can make an ETH miner that is just 2x more efficient than GPU, u would be super rich .
I believe u cant do that and your cost of producing any FPGA will be sky high, among other things.

Well, billionaire asic manufacturers couldnt  do this. If u can, then pls, go ahead and do it Smiley

How fast can u try get this up and going. 2-3 weeks?

Please do show me where I have made baseless claims, and don't start making stuff up.
Sandal_Hat

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 03:55:26 PM

@Sandal_Hat

WTF?

For ETH, the asic is only a little bit more efficient than GPU but cheaper to produce.

How fast can u try get this up and going. 2-3 weeks?

Please do show me where I have made baseless claims, and don't start making stuff up.

lol, wat u just said in the quote. A system that costs less and is 5x more efficient than a GPU. Lets see how u make a system that cost less when u buy at the retail level, among other things.

Ok, enough arguing and plucking numbers from the sky. How fast can u get the show on the road?

suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8908

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2018, 03:59:28 PM

If GPU miners are pushed from ETH to another coin that is FPGA-mineable then:

1) diff goes up but an FPGA is still more profitable than a GPU;
2) diff goes way up, a GPU is not profitable anymore, still profitable for an FPGA;

There are many other variables in this and many other reasons why this might or might not work, but what you're saying doesn't really make much sense. I think you're misunderstanding how difficulty adjustment works. It will go down if profitability turns negative.
Sandal_Hat

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 04:01:26 PM

If GPU miners are pushed from ETH to another coin that is FPGA-mineable then:

1) diff goes up but an FPGA is still more profitable than a GPU;
2) diff goes way up, a GPU is not profitable anymore, still profitable for an FPGA;

There are many other variables in this and many other reasons why this might or might not work, but what you're saying doesn't really make much sense. I think you're misunderstanding how difficulty adjustment works. It will go down if profitability turns negative.

No because u can buy an FPGA, so can everyone else. FPGA is the new GPU. It just costs money which everyone has. Mining is easy, everyone can do it.
U make such an FPGA first. U are first and it has 6 months break even. Really quickly, everyone else will have an FPGA and break even will go to 11-15 months or so, the rough average.
See post 268 for a simpler illustration. I leave that as the last explanation of the conceptual flaw.

How fast can u start buying the items and do this. Lets see this go forward yes.

HardwareCollector

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 04:07:41 PM

lol, wat u just said in the quote. A system that costs less and is 5x more efficient than a GPU. Lets see how u make a system that cost less when u buy at the retail level, among other things.

Ok, enough arguing and plucking numbers from the sky. How fast can u get the show on the road?

What is the lol about? Show me where I claimed that I can develop such a system. And please, don't try to change the subject.
Sandal_Hat

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 04:17:06 PM

What is the lol about? Show me where I claimed that I can develop such a system. And please, don't try to change the subject.

@Sandal_Hat

I am saying it makes no financial sense. The major GPU coins already have asics, with ETH being the biggest. And those coins that have no asic on it will have asics on it before the FPGA will come close to ever breaking even.

And everytime an asic takes over an alternate coin, all the GPUs and FPGAs that were mining that coin will go to a non-asic coin. That means the remaining non-asic coins will have difficulty skyrocket and guess wat, that means your GPUs and FPGAs mining make less money. Everytime a new asic comes out, the FPGAs make less money. So, there is no niche. There is a limited amount to be earned from mining u see. If the asics keep appearing to take some of it, the switchers (FPGAs/GPUs) will have less and less.

Why not u calculate how much it would cost to make an FPGA that can do the equivalent of mining 504mh like the L3+ or 14TH like the S9.
Run your numbers and see the gap. While I dont have the numbers, I dont think it can work.

Anyways, good luck in your endeavors. Maybe I am wrong.

Just my 2 cents

While your point of view is true in general, there are a couple of exceptions: mainly space and power constraints. Let’s be very specific in our comparison to avoid meaningless comparisons, XCVU9P ($4,000 FPGA) vs GTX 1080 Ti ($800 GPU).

Now let’s take the Phi1612 algorithm and give the FPGA a more realistic 5x performance advantage against the GPU at a power consumption rate of 150 watts (0.150 kWh). I would rather run a 100 FPGA farm (17.5 kWh) vs a 500 GPU farm (87.5 kWh) any day and here’s why. Lower overall costs if you believe the 5x advantage ascribed to the FPGA.

4x FPGAs and components approx. ($16K + $1.2K) in server chassis and add 100 watts for overhead.
4x GPUs and components approx. ($3.2K + $0.65K) in frame and add 100 watts for overhead.

$430K 100 FPGA farm vs $481.25K 500 GPU farm. Can you at least agree that this makes financial sense?

Really? Pretending? Your own words, bolded. Post 266. Above quote lol. Just do something like it will do. It wont be anywhere cheaper lol.

Anyways, no more argument.

Do update your FPGA setup when u do rather than talk nonsense.
Or just dont bother because I dont believe u can do any of it lol

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 99 »
  Print  

Jump to: