Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:59:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: what is a wallet.dat file and how to transfer it to ledger s?  (Read 119 times)
Cryptostarter123 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 09:08:57 AM

Hey guys,

I am really sorry for probably asking one of the most basic questions out there but I am exponentially confused, reading one post after another about wallet.dat files. I know that this thread is usually about bitcoins but you might still be able to answer me this question

Last year I bought Quantum coins on Binance.com and because at that point there was no way of adding a quantum wallet to my ledger, I decided to load it to a usb stick which created a quantum-wallet.dat file. Now I would like to transfer my quantum coins to my ledger but im completely confused as to where these coins might be (because I read that the wallet.dat file contains 100 codes of some sort - if someone could explain to me what that means I would be very thankful) Even if that file contains 100 codes, I am not able to open in with any program on my Mac. Do I then have to upload the file back to Binance.com? if so, how does that even work without knowing the codes within that file? I hope someone can help me understand all of this and thank you very much already  Smiley Smiley
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MadGamer
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1031

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 09:18:22 AM

1. I have checked Ledger nano S supported cryptocurrencies and there is no such a thing as Quantum coins so unless you are referring to Qtum, you can't do this.
2. Binance is an exchange, there is no way they gave you that file. It's more then likely generated by the wallet software of that coin. You will have to download it again, place the file (wallet.dat) in the correct location (AppData folder) and then, send your funds to Ledger nano S (assuming that is supported).
salinagomez

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 02:41:35 PM

Wallet is the place where you can reserve your public or private key also dat file is known for reserve information’s about your coins based on this the ledger S is portable wallet hardware which you can carry everywhere also these three thing are related with each other.
rahimali

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 02:55:42 PM

Yes, many investors faced this same problem. Quantum coins cannot be stored on ledger. You should try to download it again and send it to proper address. I hope it helps!
greenvally

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 11:20:22 AM

Its known as for reserving private and public keys in the blockchain it’s known as wallet also you must to use digital wallet. Dat File reserve information’s about your data & ledger S is known for wallet it’s a hardware wallet for various kind of crypto currency like btc , eth , altcoins
Cryptostarter123 (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 11:47:25 AM

Hey guys! I thank you so much for your help and your replies! Somehow my reply didn't go through, a few days ago, so I apologise for the late reply.

@MadGamer - you are right! I meant Qtum! If you say the file did not come from Binance, I am honestly still confused what it actually is and what to do with it... I have decided to leave it on the stick for now

Also: thanks to everyone else. I can see that I don't know enough about any of these things to even properly understand the concept of cryptocurrency and their wallets. I appreciate your efforts but will leave it all to rest now. Thank you!
johncruze

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 08:23:51 PM

This is a critical issue. I think you should go to the technical team.  Roll Eyes I hope they will be able to give you best solution as I am not exactly sure about this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: