Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:06:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "Open-source is bad!"  (Read 3085 times)
UrbanAdventurer

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 06:11:40 PM

Linux keeps doing wrong turns, the only one coming close to threat Windows, Lindows, was sued by Microsoft... they got it covered. I wonder if the new look of Ubuntu wasn't input by MS hired spies to grant that thing sinks before become any threat to Windows.

I always felt like Linux was behind the curve, never really innovating.  Everything they have done, was already done my Microsoft or Apple before.  Either way, competition is good.  Microsoft is much more worried about apple sales numbers than worried about Linux.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Tasty Champa

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 05:08:29 AM

closed source can be quite nice in that you can many times ask for features from the devs.
you spend 50 quid to a small userbase or spend 30 grand with a small to medium userbase and they will generally always listen to your input.
joepie91 (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 11:37:25 AM
Last edit: August 08, 2011, 05:58:08 PM by joepie91

Chrome is NOT open-source. Parts of it are open source. Obviously Google won't make public it's trojan capabilities.

2. What trojan capabilities exactly?

-  RLZ identifier, an encoded string sent together with all queries to Google[3] or once every 24 hours.
-  Accesses Google search on startup for users with Google as default search[4][5]
-  Has a unique ID ("clientID") for identifying the user in logs.
-  Google-hosted error pages when a server is not present
-  Automatic address bar search suggestions.
-  Bug tracking system, sending information about crashes or errors.

I think that, before accusing something of having 'trojan capabilities', you should first learn what 'trojan' actually means.

@OP that's the FUD Microsoft etc spread around in the time they were attacking Linux.

FUD?! For their users universe Windows is a pretty damn secure OS. I wonder what would be with Linux holding 90% of the desktop computers around the globe!
People then come up with virus, trojan, whatever as argument, however you forget that the ones doing it do it for the major audience. They're way more up to infect someone in a 90% universe with loads of newbie users than in one of 5% with loads of nerds. Actually you already have virus targeting Firefox...
This - the 'it's just because Windows has more market share' argument - is a known nonsense argument. Correlation is not causation. The security model in Linux is inherently more secure than that in Windows.

Ubuntu however was going in the right direction, up to the last version when they decided to screw it up big time. Yes, you can switch to classic, but most of the users by seeing that will take "Windows" for the "classic". Lucky Bill Gates...
You know, Ubuntu is not the only thing that exists. I always recommend OpenSuSE to new users, exactly because it actually does what Ubuntu promises (working out of the box, not needing a terminal) - without the Unity crap.

Linux keeps doing wrong turns, the only one coming close to threat Windows, Lindows, was sued by Microsoft... they got it covered. I wonder if the new look of Ubuntu wasn't input by MS hired spies to grant that thing sinks before become any threat to Windows.

I always felt like Linux was behind the curve, never really innovating.  Everything they have done, was already done my Microsoft or Apple before.  Either way, competition is good.  Microsoft is much more worried about apple sales numbers than worried about Linux.
I've actually seen the exact opposite rather often.

Ha. The place where I get my groceries doesn't require me to walk past a cashier in the first place.

I guess this means; I'm still leeching my parents...
No, this means I don't like wasting perfectly good food, and I do something called 'dumpsterdiving' - by choice.

EDIT: Oops, broke the quotes.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
jgraham

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

<Pretentious and poorly thought out latin phrase>

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 01:49:44 PM

I always felt like Linux was behind the curve, never really innovating.  Everything they have done, was already done my Microsoft or Apple before.  Either way, competition is good.  Microsoft is much more worried about apple sales numbers than worried about Linux.
Just in the UI space or in general...any why exactly?

I'm rather good with Linux.  If you're having problems with your mining rig I'll help you out remotely for 0.05.  You can also propose a flat-rate for some particular task.  PM me for details.
silverchair

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2011, 06:17:03 AM

Why??? Smiley

Hey Guys! WWW.FREEBITCOINS.ORG introduces "Epic December Contest" where you can Win Sweet Casascius Coins !!!
BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 02:59:25 PM

Lately, as changing machines, I gave Linux a new try on desktop, just to come across the very same old nags

OpenSuSE: Screwed the graphics, installed nVIDIA's drivers got screwed for good.

Ubuntu: had to compile the module from RaLink for the wireless to work and, most funny, had to edit the code before compiling.

Either way, the system was dead slow compared to Windows.

Sorry folks, Linux as desktop is just crap, use it if you've no other needs than "browse the web" and "read email", other than that forget about it.

@joepie91 ;

If Windows has "HKCU|HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" so does Linux have .bashrc on your home folder to start things at boot time. There's nothing "inherently more secure on Linux", other than nag its users and narrow their options, such as everything to be installed under /usr and umask 022. Security that nags people isn't security, it's a nag. It's like if you've a bodyguard looking over your shoulder every minute.
Microsoft came with a similar nagged "sudo" for Vista, and when you deactivate UAC you got a warning every second about it... finally they removed that dumbness of Windows 7.

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
jgraham

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 03:03:07 PM

Lately, as changing machines, I gave Linux a new try on desktop, just to come across the very same old nags

OpenSuSE: Screwed the graphics, installed nVIDIA's drivers got screwed for good.
So this never ever happens on Windows and single cases imply general cases?

I'm rather good with Linux.  If you're having problems with your mining rig I'll help you out remotely for 0.05.  You can also propose a flat-rate for some particular task.  PM me for details.
BCEmporium
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 03:27:05 PM

Never happened to me on Windows, unless the graphical card was really screwed.
With SuSE/OpenSuSE it's the second time. First was with a laptop (unable to switch LVDS on) now in a desktop with totally out of sync graphics. It's not like giving 800x600 graphics, it's fail hard with bogus kernel modules.

The only desktop to stay with ubuntu is my daughter's due to gcompriz and my wife's because she just uses it to browse Facebook, a purpose Linux can suit.

NR: Please note, I'm stating DESKTOP, for SERVER I do prefer Linux or BSD.

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
Blackout

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2011, 03:37:38 PM

CHROME is open source? Show me where?

It is my understanding Google has built a lot of nasty data collecting into chrome... and while it is blazing fast, I have stopped using it.

http://blackout.com
Insane writings for an Outsane world: http://blackoutsblog.com

Blackout Radio on android or iphone DL TuneIn APP & search for Blackout Radio http://tunein.com/tuner/?StationId=136506

https://secure.btcontilt.com/register.php?referred=Blackout (BTC Poker)
jgraham

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 05:27:31 PM

Never happened to me on Windows, unless the graphical card was really screwed.
...and if it had.  What would be your conclusion.  That they would be equal?

BCEmporium
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 05:48:27 PM

Hardly, I make thousands of Windows installs per year and never happened.
SuSE scores 2 in 2 with 7 years in between - means 7 years and same shit - (when Linux I normally use Debian, this time decided to give oSuse a try... again)

|

|
jgraham

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 06:54:35 PM

Hardly, I make thousands of Windows installs per year and never happened.
Out of curiosity do you mean you do thousands of installs from scratch - that is from the installer.
SuSE scores 2 in 2 with 7 years in between -
Hey I flipped a coin about seven years ago and then again today and both times it came up heads.   In your opinion, should I consider it two headed?

BCEmporium
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 07:55:16 PM

Both, either from installer or image, depends where and what I'm doing and why I need to do it.
EDIT: It's part of the job, I didn't mean I keep reinstalling my own machine.  Grin

Yeah right, compare coins to miss (messed) graphics... but hey, both Red Hat back then and Ubuntu nowadays worked in that same config SuSE proved to be a fail. Go figure...  Roll Eyes

But I give you some credit, at least you hadn't come up with the normal «Linux fan-boy» "suggestion" that I should buy "Linux compliant hardware".  Grin

|

|
jgraham

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 08:58:10 PM

Both, either from installer or image, depends where and what I'm doing and why I need to do it.
EDIT: It's part of the job, I didn't mean I keep reinstalling my own machine.  Grin
So an image doesn't really compare since you are likely installing an image on near identical hardware.   So how many from scratch installs from the installers do you do per year?

We build a few dozen Windows images then image a thousand or so machines each year.  I don't think we have ever had a year where the install works in all cases.

Yeah right, compare coins to miss (messed) graphics...
It's more talking about interpreting samples.  A sample of two is really not large enough to tell you very much for the general case and it's less so since you have mixed your sample between imaging and installs.

But I give you some credit, at least you hadn't come up with the normal «Linux fan-boy» "suggestion" that I should buy "Linux compliant hardware".  Grin
Perhaps it's because I'm not a fanboy.  I don't really care if you use linux or not.  I do care when you say silly things and treat your poorly substantiated experiences like they are undeniable general cases.

Experience, as we say - is the least useful form of evidence.

BCEmporium
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 10:05:54 PM

Most of my installs are from scratch unless I've a pre-built image of a computer, which is a rare thing... as I don't work on assembling computers but often come across repairing them.

Not confuse also "experience" with "insist until you get along"; humans, if insist times enough, are even able to eat shit.
For me the most undeniable fact of Linux poor performance is within typing, I can type many chars per second (not quite quantify them, but quite many as I use both hands and don't need to look to keyboard), yet at Linux, unlike at Windows in the very same hardware, I found myself waiting for what I typed to show in the screen.

|

|
jgraham

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 11:05:44 PM

Most of my installs are from scratch unless I've a pre-built image of a computer, which is a rare thing... as I don't work on assembling computers but often come across repairing them.
Wait.  What?  So if the "installs from image" are rare and you claim to do thousands of installs per-year.  How is that different from saying you do thousands of installs from scratch a year?

Not confuse also "experience" with "insist until you get along";
That's barely a sentence.  I don't really know what you mean.

For me the most undeniable fact of Linux poor performance is within typing
What? Now we're talking about performance instead of compatibility?  The goalposts just keep on moving - I guess there's got to be something bad about Linux.

I can type many chars per second (not quite quantify them, but quite many as I use both hands and don't need to look to keyboard), yet at Linux, unlike at Windows in the very same hardware, I found myself waiting for what I typed to show in the screen.
There's probably an awful lot of variance in that kind of metric.  I mean last I checked I type around 70-80wpm in English.  I frequently out-type my Windows 7 PC -  in fact I appear to be doing that as I write this.  This is on an i7 laptop.  Of course I've got other things running but that's true of every system I use.  It would be difficult to come up with a balanced metric.

BCEmporium
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 11:52:03 PM

"Thousands" is an expression, it doesn't represent actually 1000+ or even close. You've some issues with non-linear logic, don't you? Everything you came up with has to be under "some strict metering and accountable".

There's a normal confusion between experience and insistence. Some people just stop to use unsupported or know to nag features to insist to stick with one thing and will start to believe they've the best experience with that limited thing they're using.

For the bright side, I found Linux better than Windows... hummmm... in the price of the license. It's OK to server without X and that's it.

Now... out typing an i7, I would check what's going wrong with that thing. Low in memory?

|

|
jgraham

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 02:11:09 PM

"Thousands" is an expression, it doesn't represent actually 1000+ or even close.
As far as I can see the English term tends to refer to quantities presumed greater than or close to 1000.  The term is used as part of a set: {tens, dozens, hundreds, thousands,...}.  What's the point of, other than misleading people of using "thousands" if "hundreds" is far more accurate.  Especially in this kind of conversation where you are making an argument from your number of installs.

I also wonder how many times I have to imply that this is an open question before I get some kind of useful reference point as to how many installs you did?

You've some issues with non-linear logic, don't you?
What is non-linear logic.  How is being imprecise to the point of deceiving people "non-linear" logic.

Everything you came up with has to be under "some strict metering and accountable".
Who are you quoting?  Nobody it seems. Actually the point, has to do with bounding error.  If you can't assign a number (even generally) then you can't bound error, if you can't bound error then you have no ability to compare.    Since you are comparing things it stands to reason that you have some idea as to how you are bounding your error.  Which would imply you have some useful lower bound as to how many installs you did.

There's a normal confusion between experience and insistence. Some people just stop to use unsupported or know to nag features to insist to stick with one thing and will start to believe they've the best experience with that limited thing they're using.
Are you sure they don't flip doodle walk the jimmy burger ram when they re-initialize the banana field effect?  I'm sure the torque iphone hopper is full of neutron powered sparkles.

Now... out typing an i7, I would check what's going wrong with that thing. Low in memory?
Nope.  Sort of the point though, there is a wide degree of variance.  So it's just plain silly to use that as your comparison.

BCEmporium
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 02:24:51 PM

Dude, you surely look like Star Trek's Spok.
Non-Linear Logics is the ability to think outside the box, get new perspectives and keep changing them, not to be expecting to be able to calc everything on the way, but adjust as data flows, goes better with Chaos when things don't need to be either strict or accountable to come to existence. Like it or not, happens a lot in this planet and your brain isn't a computer... it's meant to be much better.

I still think that either you gave a whole load of work for that i7 to chew, or you're simply and plainly lying. And still, the "variance" you try to imply would make sense if I would say "I can't out-type this Zacate with Win7, but I can easily out-type that P166 with Linux", but I stated using the very same hardware set.

|

|
jgraham

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 02:58:49 PM

Dude, you surely look like Star Trek's Spok.
Non-Linear Logics is the ability to think outside the box
Well would it surprise you that there already exists a definition for this phrase which has nothing to do with that?  For example a paradox is non-linear logic.  i.e. Russell's famous one disproving the existence of a set of all sets.

Even given your definition simply trying to figure out a ballpark figure for how many installs you did is not "thinking inside the box" in common parlance.  It's just asking a question which would be required to get an idea as to how useful or how stupid your comparison is.  So far, you haven't said how many installs you've done.

get new perspectives and keep changing them, not to be expecting to be able to calc everything on the way, but adjust as data flows, goes better with Chaos when things don't need to be either strict or accountable to come to existence. Like it or not, happens a lot in this planet and your brain isn't a computer... it's meant to be much better.
Whatever that means.  What does this have to do with your belief that it's okay to call ten installs "thousands"?  Could I call twenty installs "millions"?  Wouldn't that be misleading? or "wrong"?  How about "billions"?  At what point does your brain actually kick in here I wonder?

I still think that either you gave a whole load of work for that i7 to chew, or you're simply and plainly lying.
No see it's just an "expression"...oh wait that's the way *you* get out of things.

Seriously. I can out type it - that is when typing a paragraph I frequently have to wait for it to catch up and the CPU appears to never reach more than 25% on a quad core machine the commit charge indicates that I'm not swapping either.

And still, the "variance" you try to imply would make sense if I would say "I can't out-type this Zacate with Win7, but I can easily out-type that P166 with Linux", but I stated using the very same hardware set.
Sorry I'm not sure if I can penetrate your ignorance here.  The point is that you only have a single data point.   So why isn't my data point as valid as yours?  Clearly you think there's something wrong with my datapoint but what?  Is it just egotism?  I could put Linux on this and I probably couldn't out type it either.   I've got a slower machine at home and I definitely can't outtype it in X.  Ergo, it's a silly metric because it isn't controlled and probably can't be usefully controlled.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: