Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:13:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: uBTC is better than mBTC, and here's why.  (Read 3718 times)
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 07:51:59 PM

We should switch to uBTC and be done with it (forever). Switch our clients, our exchanges, our store plugins, etc, to use uBTC by default.

• It would give Bitcoin two remaining decimal places, which is what people are already familiar with, and would be much more compatible with existing financial software.
  • One uBTC is worth enough that it wouldn't be too cumbersome at this point to use. Buying something for $25 would be sending 31,255 uBTC.
  • The conversion is easy too - just remember 1 million. You multiply or divide by one million to convert between current BTC and uBTC.
  • We would only have to switch main denominations once, whereas a change to mBTC only helps us with the current price. If the value of BTC continues to go up, we'll find ourselves in the same situation of having a main denomination that is too valuable.
  • Finally, it would give enough room for BTC to grow however large and valuable it could possibly grow. Even if everyone in the world used bitcoin, uBTC + 2 decimal places would be enough to provide all the precision we would need.

Who is with me, and what are the steps we need to take to make this happen?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
XBBlade

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 08:00:08 PM

At this value of Bitcoins it makes more sense indeed. If you see this value at the stores who accept coins it's kinda more transparent. 
For everyone who doesn't understand the Bitcoins value please read my Blog Smiley.

http://bitcoinpro.wordpress.com/2013/11/24/bitcoin-values-and-numbers/
Conqueror
Legendary

Activity: 1354
Merit: 1020

I was diagnosed with brain parasite

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 08:22:34 PM

This proposal is just interstep to use of Satoshis...and we will be using them soon  Wink
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 12:26:23 AM

This proposal is just interstep to use of Satoshis...and we will be using them soon  Wink

If 1 SAT is ever worth a dollar, there will have to be a lot of off-chain transactions, or the protocol will need to be changed.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 01:15:59 AM

The idea itself is alright, but consider the front it presents. Overconfidence is dangerous, and it is REALLY overconfident to declare to the world that bitcoin is the future until it actually IS the future.

Take it step by step. When you start hearing random people (or even better, the media) talking about the need to switch again, you know bitcoin has made it big. If that never happens, well, then it failed and it would be pointless anyway.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
integrity42

Activity: 476
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 02:15:04 AM

If people decide to use uBTC's, call them 'bits' instead of uBTC.

1 million 'bits' in a bitcoin.

huryde

Activity: 82

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 03:08:40 AM

Agreed, who needs to lead this? Whats the plan of action?

beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 04:29:40 AM

Agreed, who needs to lead this? Whats the plan of action?

no one entity decides.. all the exchanges, wallets, clients, and users will have to decide when it's best. if, say coinbase wanted to do it, they could.. but then all of the other exchanges would be displayed in BTC.
digicoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 05:17:25 AM

I like the idea. In stock market, we already has stock split which helps reduce the stock price (therefore increase sales) and but keep capitalization value intact.

I believe that switching to uBTC will make novice people think BTC is cheaper and affordable to buy. The more people owns BTC, the bigger network effect in Bitcoin is, which is a very good thing for mass market adoption.
bitcoinpsftp

Activity: 84

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 06:19:07 AM

I Don't know why more markers aren't doing this already.  With such a denomination , you'd see a lot more people buying these "cheap" coins.  Someone would go buy 20-30 uBTC for almost nothing.  This would then cause the price to go up much faster as well.  Should be done ASAP.

wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 07:07:23 AM

If you want to use μBTC, just use μBTC. The clients have supported changing the unit for years. It's the exchanges and sites and such that are lagging behind.

I wonder how many of these topics there already have been in the last two years (many!). It just doesn't work. Even though everyone agrees that using smaller subdivisions is better, everyone wants a different subdivision.

In a distributed project you cannot force anyone to use your preferred unit. The only thing that might be effective to get bigger adoption for your idea is if you educated the larger community.

Maybe create a nice user friendly campaign site (and have it translated to many languages) that explains exactly what a μBTC is and why people would want to use it.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
freebird

Activity: 414

Freedom through Cryptocurrency!

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 07:23:36 AM

I think uBTC is premature. What we want is a unit that's close in value to a dollar or euro. The day may come when bitcoin is worth so much that it would make sense to switch to uBTC, but that's years away, if ever. Now would be a good time for mBTC.

Grantcoin: Currency with a Conscience. Distributed as charitable grants by a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization. Learn more at Grantcoin.org
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 07:57:20 AM

At this moment I believe mBTC is best. We will likely hover close to $1000/BTC for a while and that will make 1 mBTC close to 1 dollar. That will make things easy.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Hexadecibel
Human Intranet Liason
VIP

Activity: 571
Merit: 504

I still <3 u Satoshi

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 08:25:54 AM

This is really unfortunate because I just switched my pricing to mBTC...
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 08:35:30 AM

Against. We should use mBTC now.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Mondy

Activity: 112

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 09:55:01 AM

Soon? Hmm not sure that 1btc = $1 million USD any time soon Undecided

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 10:24:00 AM

I'm on the fence but actually I'm starting to like the idea of uBTC instead of mBTC. That way if a further split was needed, it would have to be at protocol level, since with uBTC the cent/penny would be a satoshi. Also, it's quite possible that with mBTC the value will quickly go beyond any fiat currency, again making Bitcoin different in most likely negative ways ("it's an investment, not a currency").

A product worth 1 € would be approximately 1700 uBTC right now. A product worth 10 € would be approximately 170 uBTC. These are quite reasonable numbers. I think we have some currencies that are like this already. It's fine, and even fairly common, for some currencies to have low unit valuations like this. However it's extremely uncommon for a currency to have more decimals than the cent/penny.

Regardless, what we need for these changes is for a major Bitcoin service to make a move. Someone has to implement it and then others can follow. I'd be fine with mBTC as well but I'm starting to like the uBTC idea.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
solomon

Activity: 120

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 02:45:01 AM

+1

bitcoin price ticker | bits.so
rnp

Activity: 65

Bullish on BitCoins

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 04:28:32 PM

+1

Then you could say 1.44MB or 360KB.

It would make my old Floppy Disks look valuable, lol.

Grin

On edit: that's bytes not bits, but I got a laugh anyway
thms

Activity: 427

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 04:43:32 PM

Using uBTC or mBTC will never work. The only way to use a smaller subdivision is to shift the decimal point and continue to use BTC as a unit.

DennisD7

Activity: 131

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 05:43:18 PM

I just read up on pre-decimal denominations of United Kingdom. Maybe we can borrow something from that old system:

InspirationNameValue
PoundsBitcoin1.00000000
ShillingsBitshilling0.00100000
PenceBitpence0.00000100
(farthing)Satoshi0.00000001

Proud ASIC miner and long term Bitcoin investor
daviducsb

Activity: 155

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 11:09:06 PM

Using uBTC or mBTC will never work. The only way to use a smaller subdivision is to shift the decimal point and continue to use BTC as a unit.

This makes the most sense by far.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: