Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:58:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-11-23 Yahoo Finance - There's An Electronic Currency That Could Save The Ec  (Read 1102 times)
BTCLuke (OP)

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 08:25:37 PM

Full title: "There's An Electronic Currency That Could Save The Economy — And It's Not Bitcoin"

Sounds like rumors of Fedcoin are finally here, fellas...   Shocked

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/theres-electronic-currency-could-save-121228399.html

So what's the answer?

University of Michigan economist Miles Kimball has developed a theoretical solution  to this problem in the form of a n electronic currency that would allow the Fed to bring nominal rates below zero to combat recessions. He's been presenting his plan to different economists and central bankers around the world.

If he's gotten this idea into Bernanke's fat little head then it would explain why Ben is not so aggressive against virtual currencies.

Of course someone will have to accept it first. Lulz.

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 08:30:36 PM

Clearly this is vastly inferior to Bitcoin, so why would anybody want it?
Rygon

Activity: 520
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 08:59:50 PM

Lol. Isn't our money that we save in the bank worth less anyways? I have a better idea than this. If you want to drive the interest rate lower, just have the central bank pay part of the interest rate on all new loans. People will be incentivized to take out more loans than before and drive up prices all over the place.

It can even be targeted to certain industries. Want to inflate another housing bubble? All new mortgages have the first 1% of the interest rate paid directly by the Feds. Need to give a handout to the car manufacturers? Uncle Same picks up 5% for the first 5 years! This is a pure Keynsian genius idea, lol.
BTCLuke (OP)

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 12:14:35 AM

I can't think of a scenario where Fedcoin doesn't turn into a lulzapalooza.

If fedcoin is Not released open-source, then it simply cannot be trusted, and they'll make themselves into a laughingstock by all technophiles worldwide... Interview after interview on the news will end with: "But why can't we see the code like we can with bitcoin? What are they hiding? How do we know they can't recall any or all funds from your account? How do we know it won't be inflated? Who's going to trust a coin that has so many unknowns attached to it?"

If they DO make it open-source, then it's another altcoin. Bitcoin could then assimilate any new benefits from it!

Worse yet, it's an altcoin that libertarians will hate with a passion and they won't get many people to mine it, and therefore we'll likely see it 51% attacked hundreds of times until they give up.

I'm hoping for the second option... We'll get to see just how inept the gov's best crypto geeks are that way.

/popcorn.gif

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 12:19:43 AM

I can't think of a scenario where Fedcoin doesn't turn into a lulzapalooza.

If fedcoin is Not released open-source, then it simply cannot be trusted, and they'll make themselves into a laughingstock by all technophiles worldwide... Interview after interview on the news will end with: "But why can't we see the code like we can with bitcoin? What are they hiding? How do we know they can't recall any or all funds from your account? How do we know it won't be inflated? Who's going to trust a coin that has so many unknowns attached to it?"

If they DO make it open-source, then it's another altcoin. Bitcoin could then assimilate any new benefits from it!

Worse yet, it's an altcoin that libertarians will hate with a passion and they won't get many people to mine it, and therefore we'll likely see it 51% attacked hundreds of times until they give up.

I'm hoping for the second option... We'll get to see just how inept the gov's best crypto geeks are that way.

/popcorn.gif

not saying i think it's a great idea or would work, but it would probably be a wallstreet/banks supported coin.. they could provide the technology/hardware to keep it afloat.

wallstreet/banks, if they invested in it, would dump a lot of money into it and then its shares would go up and up.
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 01:42:36 AM

Yes im sure a -5% interest rate would make fedcoin more attractive than bitcoin.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 01:46:59 AM

The beauty about bitcoin is that you set your own interest rate of return by selling it when you are satisfied with the income you have made by holding on to it.  That's the exact opposite of this FedCoin BS.  Someone else wants to control your desire for a proper interest rate.  GL to them.  The more idiotic ideas the more people will seek an escape into bitcoin.

knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 01:47:51 AM

I hope this gov altcoin will ease bitcoin exchanges  Grin

bitbouillion

Activity: 868

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 01:54:33 AM

Essentially Kimball comes up with the concept of Freigeld. A slight difference of his idea is that the devaluation happens at the bank counter when a note is withdrawn or deposited.
http://www.dyndy.net/2011/01/freigeld-the-relational-ontology-of-money-in-practice/

StarfishPrime

Activity: 358

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 01:56:38 AM

Not possible. BitMint already solved this problem ages ago.

At least that's what the site said when I cashed out of bitcoin to buy BitMint. Roll Eyes

¦                     
  ¦    ¦¦¦               
¦¦  ¦¦¦¦                 
                             ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦
                          ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦                     
                         ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                  ¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦

¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦    ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                   ¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦
                ¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦       ¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
        ¦¦¦¦         ¦        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦¦          ¦      ¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦         ¦¦         ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦       ¦          ¦ ¦¦   ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦¦     ¦¦          ¦   ¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦     ¦          ¦      ¦   ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦    ¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦¦     ¦¦         ¦   ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦     ¦¦         ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦   ¦¦    ¦        ¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦    ¦   ¦        ¦¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦       ¦     ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦    ¦  ¦      ¦      ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦     ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
       ¦¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦

TorCoin.....
¦
¦
¦
¦
  Fully Anonymous TOR-integrated Crypto
               ¦ Windows     ¦ Linux     ¦ GitHub     ¦ macOS
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
   ANN THREAD
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
[/center]
Bitcopia

Activity: 715

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 02:20:15 AM

Ah yes, since 0% interest isn't low enough to create infinite resources from a finite planet, maybe -5% will do the trick.  Roll Eyes

Silly Keynesians.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: