Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:15:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] NERVA: Cryptonight for solo CPU miners. ASIC, GPU, NiceHash resistant  (Read 28268 times)
angrywasp (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 10:27:26 AM
Last edit: May 15, 2018, 12:03:57 AM by angrywasp

I am releasing a new coin which aims to be ASIC, GPU and NiceHash resistant. The nodes are up and i would like people to direct just a little hash towards it to test if the theory works

Discord: https://discord.gg/jsdbEns
Source: http://bitbucket.org/nerva-project/nerva
Block Explorer: http://explorer.getnerva.org
Trading on Altex: https://altex.exchange/markets&pair=BTC_XNV

This is very early days. The blockchain went live 5 minutes ago and a few people invited to the discord have just started mining it with single CPU cores.

This post will be updated with more info very shortly. There is much to write, but i want to get the word out as fast as possible

----------------------------------------------

Technical details

Name: NERVA
Ticker: XNV
Total Supply: 18 million + tail emission
Block Reward: 70
Block Time: 60 seconds
Maturity: 10 blocks
Algorithm: Cryptonight Adaptive
Premine: 1% (180,000 XNV)

---------------------------------------------

Cryptonight Adaptive algorithm

The algorithm is the most important part of this coin. For too long cryptocurrencies have been plagued by ASIC's centralizing hash power, NiceHash being used as a tool to attack blockchains and centralized hash rates on major pools forking chains and placing coins into the hands of big mining operations. NERVA aims to rectify this.

The idea is quite simple. Create a hash algorithm that changes automatically at regular intervals each time breaking support in ASICS, mining pools and GPU mining software. Where the only option left is solo mining with a daemon and wallet. The first release is based on the Monero v7 algorithm present in the latest Masari hard fork with a few differences. Firstly, the scratchpad has been halved, like Cryptonight lite. Secondly we adapted the ASIC resistant changes from Alloy (XAO) which changes the number of mixing functions at each hard fork to instead change every block. The number of mixing functions is automatically incremented every block and reset every 1024 blocks

This first implementation, while crude should make it difficult to adapt GPU miner and pool code to this algorithm. My ultimate aim is to further the development of crypto in the true spirit of crypto. Decentralized and easily accessible to everyone

Premine

A 1% premine was included in the genesis block (180,000 coins). Additionally each of the 3 seed nodes in place is currently mining with 1 CPU core. This is a temporary measure to establish the network and will be stopped when independent miners start contributing to the network. At the time of writing the dev account contains 187,663 coins.

The only plan for these funds is to secure exchange listing and ongoing server costs running the seed nodes. Any left over funds will be redistributed to the community.

Goals

In the near term, there are 2 major works to be completed. Firstly a block explorer needs to be implemented. This way i can provide some transparency to the dev account and where the funds are going
Secondly a Windows CLI wallet and GUI wallet for Linux and Windows. I do not have access to Windows so am unable to build a wallet at the moment. Perhaps there is potential for a bounty on this issue

In the mid to long term exchange listing becomes a priority as well as the flashy website and marketing that most coins these days like to lead with.

It has to be very strongly stated though that the main focus is on the coins code development. Exchange listing comes second to reward miners for supporting the coin.

So feel free to drop into the discord and have a chat

--------------------------------------------

Mining

First you need to download and build the source code. Binaries exist for Ubuntu 16.04, Wijndows are on the way as soon as i get myself in front of a windows computer, which i don't have
Then use nerva-wallet-cli to create a wallet. Just follow the prompts.
Then use nervad --start-mining <wallet address> <num cores> to start mining

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kirday

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 10:49:51 AM

For pool
unstreet

Activity: 250
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 10:50:17 AM

windows?
BuneepB

Activity: 13

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 10:54:16 AM

Give me a windows wallet will push shit load of cpu hash power.
angrywasp (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 11:07:50 AM

I updated my first post. Currently i do not have access to windows, only Linux. I will work on getting a Windows VM up and running and get a binary compiled. The source code is available for anyone who would like to DIY a wallet
rgsnedds

Activity: 952
Merit: 17

raskul

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2018, 11:09:04 AM

I updated my first post. Currently i do not have access to windows, only Linux. I will work on getting a Windows VM up and running and get a binary compiled. The source code is available for anyone who would like to DIY a wallet

can you give a proper set of instructions.. your bitbucket directs me to Masari Project!?
cryptoblackhat

Activity: 85

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2018, 11:11:01 AM

Are you planning to create a brand new wallet from scratch, or maintain a fork of another popular open source wallet that already exists?

I'd be wary of installing something brand new with a small development team, so if possible I would suggest capitalizing on the open source options available to lend people increased trust in your wallet security.

Looks like a great idea though, all the best with the new coin development. I like the implementation of the Cryptonight algorithm.
Murphydre

Activity: 84

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 11:18:03 AM

Let's see what's your plans with this.
Going to join your discord...

Nice 1,waiting...
angrywasp (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 12:21:07 PM

The coin mainnet is live and we already have people in the discord hashing away and finding blocks.

As to resistance. GPU mining is technically possible. However it would require a rewriting of existing mining and pool software to do it. Xmr-stak for example precompiles the mining algorithm and loads it into memory. When the algorithm changes when a new block is detected the algorithm needs to be recompiled and xmr-stak needs to be killed and relaunched. This is why xmr-stak can't switch coins on different algos. So you can mine it with a GPU technically, just current GPU miners are not coded in a way to change algo on the fly. Moreover GPU miners do not get data on the current block height which is used to change some algo parameters to create the variance. Therefore pool code needs to be refactored to broadcast this information to GPU miners.

So as you can see it would be quite difficult to build a GPU miners or edit and existing one to mine this coin. Future development of the coin will work on developing more ways to randomize the algorithm which would simply make it infeasible for a GPU miner to be developed. By extension if GPU miners can't be developed, Nicehash can not be deployed against the coin.
MacronMiner

Activity: 266
Merit: 1

Scam Hunter

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 12:25:02 PM

It's so weird. If for you CN is CPU only and GPU-resistant, I think that you must stop to dev this coin.
hsb

Activity: 20

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 12:31:11 PM

CPU only is so great,everyone can mine with old laptop  Smiley
themen1260

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 03:11:32 PM

Res
Apula

Activity: 129

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 10:54:58 PM

I have not seen any blockchain software company before. Lets see if it will be succesful
rusuct

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 11:06:14 PM

waiting for windows wallet
angrywasp (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 02:54:53 AM

I have to admit. I greatly underestimated the demand for a windows wallet. That's my mistake and I'll own that. Sorry to anyone that feels let down. I have a windows vm installed and working on getting the build environment set up. I am at work now, but I should have it out by the end of the day.

If anyone would like to build a windows wallet and share it I'll throw some coins your way to get you started.

Also check out the discord. I am going to be more active in there and can help people get started quicker than through a forum
angrywasp (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 10:08:51 AM

A member of the discord channel has built a windows binary and kindly shared it. He has also claimed a bounty for it

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8ihd4tymgeu36i/nerva%20w64%20binaries.zip?dl=0

It is x64 built on Windows 7.
pliuhkam

Activity: 69
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 03:29:57 PM

A member of the discord channel has built a windows binary and kindly shared it. He has also claimed a bounty for it

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8ihd4tymgeu36i/nerva%20w64%20binaries.zip?dl=0

It is x64 built on Windows 7.

Big thanks, I try to mine this ISIC killer Cool
biggiemco

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 08:14:06 PM

It's so weird. If for you CN is CPU only and GPU-resistant, I think that you must stop to dev this coin.

CPU mining only is best, read Bitcoin white paper, Satoshi wanted everyday people with computers to be able to mine it.
angrywasp (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 10:38:26 PM

The discord is very active right now. For people interested, i suggest checking it out

https://discord.gg/fZfUNw

CPU mining only is best, read Bitcoin white paper, Satoshi wanted everyday people with computers to be able to mine it.

This is part of the reasoning behind it. Besides the threat of ASICs and NiceHash every cryptonight coin faces, Crypto in general has become extremely commercialized. The arms race to build every bigger and faster mining rigs has been ongoing for some time, where the main people profiting are the big companies, like NVIDIA, AMD, Samsung and all the other companies making GPU components.

Meanwhile the electricity produced to run these rigs is getting extremely out of hand. I have read articles that bitcoins estimated power consumption could power some European countries. Mostly dirty power from China. This is bad for the environment and something we don't need as the doomsday clock ticks closer to midnight.

So we need to change the way we think about generating crypto. Or more to the point, we need to rethink if the way we are doing things is sustainable in the long term. I don't believe it is. Everyone with a PC has a CPU, everyone with a PC can mine NERVA with a couple of cores with only a minimal increase in power consumption. No need for expensive GPU rigs with ever increasing ROI. No need to destroy the environment and add to the profits of major corporations. Instead we go back to placing a decentralized currency in decentralized hands. A responsible and sustainable cryptocurrency in the true vision of Satoshi.

Also, nethash has climbed to nearly 30Kh/s since it's launch a few days ago, which is phenomenal for a solo mined CPU coin. Shows me that people agree with the principles of NERVA and i thank all those that have jumped on board and supported the cause
faber0

Activity: 92

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 11:17:45 PM

a doubt about mining soil, how will I know when I found something?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: