Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 07:36:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Merge-mining of altcoins: Is it time?  (Read 576 times)
Notanon (OP)

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 06:10:33 PM

Given the number of clone coins that seem to be churned out nearly daily, should some established altcoins consider merge-mining with each other to strengthen their overall networks and consolidate more mining power? I feel that if something like this isn't considered and doesn't happen, BTC will keep dominating as the top cryptocurrency without any real considerable threat to it. Plus, it might open up some more trading possibilities. For example, using the parent coin, such as Litecoin, as the primary long-term wealth storage and using a merged-mined coin of a similar type, such as Feathercoin that has 4 times the overall number of coins, or even Dogecoin, as a means of trading for lower value goods. Theoretically, the merged-mined coins should ideally have a proportion value to the amount of coins against each type (i.e. Feathercoin as a quarter of the value of a Litecoin). That way, the parent coin could become the equivalent gold of its type, another one the silver and so forth.

Some would've baulked at this being proposed about a year ago, but maybe now is the time to start considering it.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 08:31:08 PM

Sure, give us scrypt ASICs and we'll be all over that.

Meanwhile have you ever heard of NaMeCoin, DeVCoin, GRouPcoin, IXCoin, I0Coin, CoiLedCoin and GeistGeld ?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: