Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:57:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What would happen if bitcoin drops so low mining isn't worth it  (Read 3027 times)
stryker

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 10:51:15 AM

In other threads I've said bitcoin needs casual miners.  A casual miner is someone who runs the mhash/s that they can afford to profit or not, simply because its a little fun and their contribution.  I run 820mhash/s, thats what I can afford to come what may.... what hacks me off is all these peeps who throw up 30 ghash rigs and its obvious that when things get rough they will not be able to maintain it... thus big chunks of the networks hash rate could just fall away.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
arsenische
Legendary

Activity: 1199
Merit: 1012

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 11:36:49 AM

In other threads I've said bitcoin needs casual miners.  A casual miner is someone who runs the mhash/s that they can afford to profit or not, simply because its a little fun and their contribution.  I run 820mhash/s, thats what I can afford to come what may.... what hacks me off is all these peeps who throw up 30 ghash rigs and its obvious that when things get rough they will not be able to maintain it... thus big chunks of the networks hash rate could just fall away.

I don't think people who invested so much into bitcoins will just leave. I think they believe in future, and in fact are probably building more cost-effecient and reliable mining infrastructure.

stryker

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 01:08:51 PM

true, I'd not thought of it that way.... its still a concern though that a lot of people have taken on too much overhead in the scale of their operations which could result in them scaling back due to lower bitcoin value.  My magic value is 30GBP which is how much I'm happy throwing at bitcoin in terms of electricity profit or none.
Nemesis099

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2011, 01:39:24 PM

I don't think people who invested so much into bitcoins will just leave. I think they believe in future, and in fact are probably building more cost-effecient and reliable mining infrastructure.

I think we do in some cases especially if the price hangs around to the point they can't cover the cost of electricity.  I say this because they might go offline for a bit and then if enough did this we could have large fluctuations in hashing.

I do admit though with the network being so large I think it won't happen unless the price drops substantally.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2011, 01:42:01 PM

If everyone stops mining I will run a CPU miner at work and get all of the mined Bitcoins.

But then...not everyone would have stopped mining since I would be mining.

So basically, mining will never stop.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
grod

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 02:33:28 PM

If everyone stops mining I will run a CPU miner at work and get all of the mined Bitcoins.

But then...not everyone would have stopped mining since I would be mining.

So basically, mining will never stop.

But you could have oscillations in hash rate, much like alternate chains (e.g., Namecoin).  75% of hashing power fires up, mines 2 weeks worth of coins in 3 days, hash rate quadruples.  75% shut down for six weeks.  Mine for 3 days, shut down for a six weeks.   This would be a steady state where mining power quadruples and quarters, alternating.

End result: everyone but the patsies/free power guys mining at artificially inflated difficulty get their coins at a quarter of the price (but 75% get half the possible coins and it takes everyone much longer overall).  Still, it's downward pressure on price as a double whammy of a reduced utility and security of the network (~24 minute confirms 93% of the time) as well as cheaper to produce coins.   

It could turn into a feedback loop where mining 7% of the time for a 75% lower cost is the only way to be profitable for the majority.  Heck, were that to happen now you could even get CPU miners and Nvidia guys joining the fun during profitable periods.  "Unprofitable", artificial difficulty would keep creeping up until even the free power guys are looking at a higher cost to mine vs buy in equipment failure/depreciation and decide to drop out during the bad times.  That would require around 99% of the mining power to flee, so I don't think it's possible.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: