Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:53:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Colored Coins white paper V2.0  (Read 2472 times)
BruceWayne (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 10:20:29 AM

Hi All,

Have a look at our new white paper:
https://docs.google.com/a/etoro.com/document/d/1AnkP_cVZTCMLIzw4DvsW6M8Q2JC0lIzrTLuoWu2z1BE/edit

Feel free to comment on the shared paper or at our Google group:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/bitcoinx

For more information visit : www.coloredcoins.org

Thanks!
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
overcoin

Activity: 53

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 12:48:00 PM

Thank you, Bruce. I intend to heavily use Colored Coins in one of my projects.
BruceWayne (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 02:44:55 PM

Thanks
We would be happy to hear more about it and maybe sponsor it in the future.
overcoin

Activity: 53

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 09:29:57 AM

Thanks
The link to this project is already on my signature. This is quite ambitious stuff and certainly Coloredcoins.org team as a formal organization is invited to be among the first 20 core members.

With the recent rise in Bitcoin price, money becomes less of a problem for every Bitcoin related project. I'll be happy to accept your sponsorship rather in terms of advice and recommendation than in money. Probably I'll suggest some modifications to order-based coloring, but let me carefully read the new white paper version first and not jump ahead.

BruceWayne (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 01:00:48 PM

Thanks
The link to this project is already on my signature. This is quite ambitious stuff and certainly Coloredcoins.org team as a formal organization is invited to be among the first 20 core members.

With the recent rise in Bitcoin price, money becomes less of a problem for every Bitcoin related project. I'll be happy to accept your sponsorship rather in terms of advice and recommendation than in money. Probably I'll suggest some modifications to order-based coloring, but let me carefully read the new white paper version first and not jump ahead.

You are more than welcome
Flavien

Activity: 5

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 02:05:12 PM
Last edit: November 28, 2013, 02:17:07 PM by Flavien

I have to say I find the Genesis transaction mechanism quite awkward. Why not put the color definition (the URL encoded string) as a message in the transaction?

Also, the fact that you have to send coins to the COLGEN address is a no-no to me. This is an unnecessary dependency.

If you want adoption, colored coins need to be completely decentralized, as is Bitcoin. The "standard" shouldn't rely on a central address like COLGEN.
Vitalik Buterin

Activity: 330
Merit: 397

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 04:42:06 PM

I have to say I find the Genesis transaction mechanism quite awkward. Why not put the color definition (the URL encoded string) as a message in the transaction?

What do you mean a "message in the transaction"? Right now there is no standard way to encode data in a transaction aside from OP_RETURNs, which we specifically listed as an option. If you're thinking about those messages that blockchain.info shows, they're a proprietary overlay backed by BCI's database, not anything in the Bitcoin network.

Also, the fact that you have to send coins to the COLGEN address is a no-no to me. This is an unnecessary dependency.

If you want adoption, colored coins need to be completely decentralized, as is Bitcoin. The "standard" shouldn't rely on a central address like COLGEN.

We got a lot of similar feedback, and we decided we'll listen. We got rid of the COLGEN address part, and replaced it with an output to the 1111111111111111111114oLvT2 address (which is cryptographically unspendable by anyone and so neutral). I still like the "marker address" idea because it lets light clients easily search for geneses on BCI by going to http://blockchain.info/address/1111111111111111111114oLvT2, but I think doing it this way removes the centralization. We do want to make a premium color system, but we will set that up as a BitcoinX project independent of the underlying colored coins framework.

Also, I simplified the paper somewhat over the last few days, including making the tagging-based coloring algorithms simpler. The property that colorvalue = value - padding or zero is now true for all colors, for example.

Argumentum ad lunam: the fallacy that because Bitcoin's price is rising really fast the currency must be a speculative bubble and/or Ponzi scheme.
davidgdg

Activity: 551
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 10:39:05 AM

I am fascinated by the project and have been following it for a little while now. But one thing I am unclear about is the extent to which implementation would require changes to the core protocol. Can you summarise for a non technical person such as myself? Would CC implementation require (in practise) the cooperation of the core developers ?
Best regards
David

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 01:16:56 AM

I am fascinated by the project and have been following it for a little while now. But one thing I am unclear about is the extent to which implementation would require changes to the core protocol. Can you summarise for a non technical person such as myself? Would CC implementation require (in practise) the cooperation of the core developers ?
Best regards
David

In practice, yes.  But only because common clients would have to be aware of colored coins that end up in their wallet, so that they didn't arbitrarily send them out in payment for a candy bar.  As I understand it, however, the colored coins proposal would require an external database to manage the titles & ties to particular coins.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: