Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:28:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Q FOR THEYMOS: Why tell mods to give special treatment to donators, VIPs?  (Read 1264 times)
fligen (OP)

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

Crypto Pros

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 11:18:01 PM

In your "mod hints" thread in the private staff section, you tell mods to be "very careful" moderating donators, VIPs, and older established members.

Why? Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
whiskers75

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:39:05 PM

Because they've been here for a long time, they've made the effort to donate, etc....
and they deserve to be able to speak [a little more] freely, as restrictions don't really apply.

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 06:06:14 PM

Because they've been here for a long time
??

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
bitmarket.io
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2013, 06:07:52 PM

The 'elite' have their circles. It's nothing new. The world always worked this way. I totally understand. Smiley
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 07:17:38 PM

The 'elite' have their circles. It's nothing new. The world always worked this way. I totally understand. Smiley
We're not 'elite', we're 1337 Cool

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
bitmarket.io
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2013, 08:27:50 PM

Grin
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 08:37:19 PM

Donators and VIP do need a special treatment.
After all, VIP gave away 50k to gain access to a useless secret sub. Grin

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 05:12:18 AM

Heh, talk to Goat. He will tell you that VIPs and Donators don't get special treatment when it comes to moderation. That being said, I'd imagine it has to do with the logic, that the majority of donators and VIPs aren't going to pay the money to get the title, and then cause trouble and get themselves banned. They have a financial stake in their account, so it would make sense that they would be more conciencious.

That being said, Satoshi is the only person who gets special consideration. It is strictly against the rules for anyone to touch Satoshi's posts, not that anyone would want to.
oxyon

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 08:45:25 AM

Heh, talk to Goat. He will tell you that VIPs and Donators don't get special treatment when it comes to moderation. That being said, I'd imagine it has to do with the logic, that the majority of donators and VIPs aren't going to pay the money to get the title, and then cause trouble and get themselves banned. They have a financial stake in their account, so it would make sense that they would be more conciencious.

That being said, Satoshi is the only person who gets special consideration. It is strictly against the rules for anyone to touch Satoshi's posts, not that anyone would want to.

Doesn't example why it's in the mod hints thread.

or why theymos reads / skims nearly EVERY single PM and clicks on links that are totally inappropriate.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 09:54:09 AM

That being said, I'd imagine it has to do with the logic, that the majority of donators and VIPs aren't going to pay the money to get the title, and then cause trouble and get themselves banned. They have a financial stake in their account, so it would make sense that they would be more conciencious.
Percentage-wise, more Donators and VIPs have been banned or SCAMMER-tagged than the rest of the bitcointalk-crowd, I guess Grin

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
ScammerZhouTong

Activity: 33

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 09:57:57 AM

or why theymos reads / skims nearly EVERY single PM and clicks on links that are totally inappropriate.

yeah, he didn't even use a vpn when we caught him looking at links sent in *personal* pms.

we also know that he banned an account for sending a link (no, not phishing or anything shady, but something theymos doesn't want spread) over pm. not reported.

matthew n wright, a donator has also been banned for calling theymos out on helping garr255 scam.

btw, ty for not posting about me in the ban thread, mods.
bitmarket.io
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 04:07:05 AM

That being said, I'd imagine it has to do with the logic, that the majority of donators and VIPs aren't going to pay the money to get the title, and then cause trouble and get themselves banned. They have a financial stake in their account, so it would make sense that they would be more conciencious.
Percentage-wise, more Donators and VIPs have been banned or SCAMMER-tagged than the rest of the bitcointalk-crowd, I guess Grin

what donors/vips got banned? and why? i find that funny.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 04:26:00 AM

Well, thats news to me, must be a busy guy to read through millions of pms per month. He has said that he has gone looking for specific things before and happened across other pms, which is why there is the warning that says to encrypt any sensitive info.

what donors/vips got banned? and why? i find that funny.

Goat has been banned before, but hes back. And quite a few have been given scammer tags (Back when scammer tags were given out)

I don't know, I guess its in my personal opinion anyway, and from what I've seen, because someone is a donator or VIP, they don't get special privledges. They get a title, a private donator's section (Which staff are also allowed in) and they get a shared ad space. I don't think I've ever had to moderate a VIP/Donator though, because its not often that there is any reason to. I moderate death threats and completely over the top obscene language and images, malware, and spam. If you are going to pay 10 or 50 BTC, chances are you value your account enough not to want to get banned. Alot of donators and VIPs have turned out scammers, but I guess I don't find that all that surprising, if you can make more than 10 BTC scamming as a donator, or 50 BTC as a VIP I suppose it makes sense.
ajax3592

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 08:21:50 AM

Well if you donate 10 Bitcoins, you deserve the special treatement afterall, don't you!

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
MOVERZZZ

Activity: 8

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 03:38:31 PM

/\BTC is: +1337+http://smilies.newcastlebeats.com/smilies/pimpslayer.gif
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2013, 07:52:48 AM

Personally, I give more leeway to names I recognize as experienced (except for those I recognize as experienced trouble-makers). The simple fact of the matter is that the prior probability of misconduct tends to be lower for experienced users, and so, comparatively, the chances that I'm the mistaken party is greater.

If people are frequently engaging in conduct where it matters where the benefit of doubt lands ... you have greater problems to worry about than a somewhat biased moderation policy.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 07:56:23 AM

/\BTC is: +1337+

Oh man, is this another one of ASICSRUS/haightst's alts?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2013, 12:18:50 AM

I think it should be forbidden to even read any of Satoshi's posts, except by a Satoshi Lama when the moon is full, tide is high, AND when bitcoins are going up, up, up. One could still quote Satoshi if they are a card-carrying Satoshite, but only if their paid membership dues are up-to-date.

~TMIBTCITW
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 12:20:51 AM

I think it should be forbidden to even read any of Satoshi's posts, except by a Satoshi Lama when the moon is full, tide is high, AND when bitcoins are going up, up, up. One could still quote Satoshi if they are a card-carrying Satoshite, but only if their paid membership dues are up-to-date.

~TMIBTCITW
Was Gage's pass MITM'd?

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 12:24:19 AM

~TMIBTCITW
I see what you're doing. Enjoying "Satoshi" in your posts before a one-time fee is required to mention her. Good move.
Satoshi too!

And seriously, who cares about the secret VIP lair, anyway? Smiley

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: